Why become a member? ×

Ear Protection - What's really decent & off the shelf?

BC'ers - looking for a recommendation on some high quality "off the shelf" ear plugs that will provide very decent ear protection at rehearsals etc. 

Not looking for IEMs as such - just plain vanilla ear plugs for when I'm not gigging myself.

Don't mind paying a bit extra for something really decent, but not looking to go bespoke/customised, so perhaps < £150?

Some of the ear plugs that get 5 stars online don't actually seem to be that great in my experience, but I guess at £30 or so I shouldn't be expecting too much?

Edited by Al Krow

• Al Krow changed the title to Ear Protection - What's really decent & off the shelf?

I know they are not off the shelf as it were but I would always recommend going the ACS custom pro route and getting some moulds done. They are brilliant, comfortable and £149 so within your budget.. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Funnily enough I misplaced my ACS ones tonight for rehearsal and had to use a set of emergency back up standard type ones, I keep in my gig bad. They are cheap sub zero ones from gear4music. Put them in and thought oh wow these are almost as good as my custom ones… how wrong i was. 

we finished playing and my ears are now ringing, they were obviously not doing anything or not enough to help.  Luckily I found my proper ones the minute I got in. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Personally I’ve had good experience with Alpine filter earplugs. Effective and reasonably priced.

Ah that's interesting - as Alpine are the ones I'm currently using and not finding them particularly effective. I guess that's making the point of getting something bespoke i.e. something off the shelf may be good for some but not others.

• Like 2

I guess we all have uniquely shaped ears and going for moulded plugs will ensure a good fit. The generic plugs will have been designed to an “average” ear canal shape.

With my Alpine plugs I have found I’ve achieved a much better seal if I use the applicator that they supply with the kit. Trying to insert the plugs without the applicator forms a less efficient seal in my experience.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

I guess we all have uniquely shaped ears and going for moulded plugs will ensure a good fit. The generic plugs will have been designed to an “average” ear canal shape.

With my Alpine plugs I have found I’ve achieved a much better seal if I use the applicator that they supply with the kit. Trying to insert the plugs without the applicator forms a less efficient seal in my experience.

Ah maybe where I've been going wrong - i.e. not using the applicator. Have you been able to get replacement supplies of this and do you know what it contains?

Was a long time fan of Elacin/Etymotic ER20S earplugs, but you can't seem to get them anymore. Tried the Alpine's but hated tham. Bought some Auritech Music plugs, and they were great.

Recently bought some ACS Custom plugs, really pleased with them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Was a long time fan of Elacin/Etymotic ER20S earplugs, but you can't seem to get them anymore. Tried the Alpine's but hated tham. Bought some Auritech Music plugs, and they were great.

Recently bought some ACS Custom plugs, really pleased with them.

The Auritech seem to have a superficially similar design to the Alpine - interested that you found them so much better. Were they just better at noise reduction? At £20 a pop seems to be worth a punt!

Guess you're finding the ACS Customs to be a step up from the Auritech?

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I guess we all have uniquely shaped ears and going for moulded plugs will ensure a good fit.

The only problem being that, as I understand it, your ear canals change shape over the years. I’ve had my Elacin customs for years and they’ve been brilliant, but these days, even with just a 9db filter, they cut out way too much. I’ve bought some ACS Pacatos and I’m finding them an improvement, just need to settle on the which size works best for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah maybe where I've been going wrong - i.e. not using the applicator. Have you been able to get replacement supplies of this and do you know what it contains?

Here is a link to a review of the version I’ve been using (not affiliated, btw):

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/alpine-musicsafe-pro-earplugs-review

As regards the applicator………it is a small, physical piece of hollow plastic (in the foreground of the photo). It fits over the ear plug and facilitates putting the plugs in. However, if you try to insert the plugs without the applicator chances are that finger or thumb will cover the narrow vent hole that goes through the filter. I’ve found this can lead to temporary back pressure within the ear canal, resulting in a poor seal and less effective noise isolation.

My kit came with a spare ear plug (I guess in case one gets lost). 

IMG_0878.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I lost my last filter for my trusty Alpine plugs on Friday night that I've had for must be close to a decade! I beleive they will be the musicsafe pros although they now come in different packaging, so I'm hoping they actual plugs are the same cos I think my ones are wonderful!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The Auritech seem to have a superficially similar design to the Alpine - interested that you found them so much better. Were they just better at noise reduction? At £20 a pop seems to be worth a punt!

Guess you're finding the ACS Customs to be a step up from the Auritech?

I found that the Alpines were too short, they only had two tiers instead of three like the Auritech & the Etymotic's. Sometimes, the seal would break with movement whilst playing, which isn't what you want from a set of earplugs.

The only thing I dislike about the Auritech's is that the stem is soft, and they can be a pain to put in. Moistening the tip of the plug before putting it in helps.

Yes, the custom ACS are quite a few steps up from the Auritech & the old Etymotic's. I originally went for the 20dB filters, but they were a bit too much. Bought a set of the 17dB filters, so I'll see how they go next rehearsal. The fit is fabulous, as they're moulded to your ears. Really comfortable to wear too. Really wish I'd gone for them sooner.

• Thanks 1

I’ve got some Earpeace generic plugs: they’re ok. But really, don’t skimp, go custom moulded. I’ve got some old ACS plugs. (I think 27dB) and they’re ace. Must get new moulds / plugs though. Hint: always get your ears syringed and excess internal hair removed first 🤢 It’s STAGGERING the amount of hair in there from a) being old and male and b) haircuts! I might start wearing them when getting the barnet trimmed! 😀

• Like 1

Al - I’m in the “there’s no going back from moulded ear plugs” camp. Mine were from Read Audio - they now cost £160. Wouldn’t hesitate to go back if I ever lost them. Never found an off the shelf that comes close. 

• Like 1

You cannot buy new ears. Get proper ACS one. I would sell all my basses and buy a cheap one if I could buy new ears. I cannot. So now, realistically, I am not a gigging bassist and I get to listen to my tinnitus all day. 

Don't skimp. Do it right. 

It will never happen to you. Until it does. And then it is too late. 

• Like 1

My vote is for custom moulded.

However whichever you get, replace after 3-5 years. The material will deteriorate and they will lose some effectiveness.

• Like 1

Last night at rehearsal I didn’t place one of my ACS plugs properly. Holy cow Batman, it was loud loud loud. For that band my ACS plugs are essential. But once, buy right.

Edited by Lozz196

I've had a set of Elacin custom moulded ones for years, but I never got on with them in my band.  I think the included -25db filters were just too much.  However, I took them to a metal night gig at the weekend, where my apple watch told me it was peaking around 105db, and they worked very well - even if my ears have changed.

I've tried a number of universal fit plugs over the years and struggled to find a good one. Docs Pro Plugs, Alpine, Klaisen audio sheilds and more recently I've been using Earasers. The latter have a different type of filter that only reduces the harmful frequencies. They sound okay, but never stay in place.

I've had my eye on the Mineundo plugs. These have an adjustable filter from -7db to -25db which seems ideal. But they're pricy for a universal fit and I've read mixed reviews, particularly about them falling apart.

As such, I've just bought a set of Loop Switch plugs. Similar idea, but a third of the price and has a range of -17 to -25db. I haven't been able to test them properly yet as I've had a blocked ear problem for a few days (likely exacerbated by practicing at home with over-ear headphones sat and sun, then that loud metal gig sat night and a band rehearsal sunday evening - both with earplugs).  But I'm hoping to go to a gig on Sunday, so I'll take them with me.

The alternate solution is noise cancelling earbuds. Many modern models, such as the AirPods Pro 2 include a transparency mode. This work in reverse to noise cancelling and purposely lets sound in, with the intention of feeling like you don't have anything in your ears, but crucially, with a limiter - set to 85db on my AirPods Pro. It works okay, but you can tell it's digitally processing the sound and alters the tone a little, and how much is actually attenuates is debatable (I reckon foam tips could improve matters). But if you already have a set of buds, it's work checking out and this article is worth a read. 

• Like 1