Why become a member? ×

1 x Barefaced 2x10 or 2 x Barefaced One10's?

thebrig

• thebrig changed the title to 1 x Barefaced 2x10 or 2 x Barefaced One10's?

I have. I owned 2 BF 110s a few years ago and they were great but I've recently in the last month got a BF 210. I would go with the 210 every time now that i've had experience with both options.

My reasons are:

- the 210 is still ridiculously small for what it can put out and it's a very easy 1 hand lift rather than two 1 handed lifts for 2 separate 110s.

- Tonally there is no difference between a single 210 or two 110s when run together, but the thing that swings it for me is that on the 110 you are limited by them being 8 ohm cabs giving you a 4 ohm load when they are run together. Whereas the 210 has a 4/12 ohm switch, enabling you to cater for almost any power of amp within reason. Barefaced say that when in 12 ohm mode, an amp going into the 210 will run at approximately 1/3 of its full power rating at a 4 ohm load.

For example, I have a Bergantino Forte HP2 which has a power rating of 1200 watts into 4 ohms. There is no way my BF 210 can take that kind of power in 4 ohm mode, however, if I switch it to 12 ohm mode, the Berg only runs at around 400 watts, which is well within the 210's power handling.

That flexibility really makes the difference for me.

• Like 1

I've used both, and a Three10 (Two10 + One10) and a Four10 (2 x Two10's). I thought they all sounded good. They were loud, punchy, light and had a great tone. The various combinations worked well in all my bands, but I had 7 BF cabs sitting at home and finally decided I had to rationalise the "collection".

It was a difficult decision, but I slightly preferred my 5 string basses through the 112's (SC, SM and BB2), and sold the Two10's. I still use the One10's for practice at home.

• Like 3

That's a good point actually. I also prefer my 12" Bf cabs (1 SuperCompact, 1 SuperTwin. Not run together, that would be insane. I use the ST for outdoor and big gigs and use the SC for rehearsals and small to medium gigs) with my 5 string basses. So why do I have a BF 210 I hear you ask. Basically, because I got it as part payment/trade for a 410 cab I was selling. I had thought I would sell the BF 210 but I actually really like it and use it in my music room and because I play at jam sessions etc, I often use it for that because the footprint is so small even compared to my SuperCompact.

I have a One10 and a One10T.

I take the One10T to rehearsals and small gigs and then take the other as well for bigger stuff. Or at least I did before I quit my band!

I find the modular approach very handy.

I've never had a Two10 but I did have a Super Twin. I sold it because I preferred the tone of BF 10 inch cones.

If I was buying now - I'd get the new Three10. It might be quite a bit heavier but wheels are almost always a better option than a lighter cab that still has to be carried.

I got a One10 as a birthday gift but had no real use for it at the time so just stored it. Then I started fairly aggressively downsizing my gear, which involved selling my 4x10 that lived at the rehearsal studios, so I bought another One10 to use with the one I already had and they became my rehearsal cabs. I was so impressed by their ability to replace a 4x10 that I sold my Fender Rumble 500 combo and ordered a Two10 to use for gigs.

I know that technically they're engineered slightly differently, but with the same amp and the same bass playing with the same band in the same place in the same room, I honestly can't hear the technical differences. I use the 2x One10s stacked portrait with the vents on the bottoms and the Two10 also portrait with the vent on the bottom, so they're configured as similarly as possible.

If you play some gigs where you'll only need a single One10, then the pair makes sense. If you'd always be taking the pair of One10s then the Two10 probably makes more sense unless having the size and weight split into two chunks is personally advantageous.

• Like 2

I started with a One10 as I always go through the PA too.  Then got a second One10 in tweed because it looked cool.  Sold them due to financial reasons, then ended up buying a Two10 a year or so later.

For me it’s swings & roundabouts.  I like having the option of just talking one to a jam, but I also like having just one box.

I’ll stick with the Two10 for the foreseeable now, but I’d be equally as happy with two One10s.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You can't leave half a 210 at home when you only need a 110.

The corollary is you can't easily add a 210 to 110 and 110 if you are needing to get loud sometimes. You could do a series cable setup for the 110 pair but the haulage would be a phaff compared to 210 and 210 

So there is the rub.

Carry more than you need sometimes. Or not be able to expand it so easily.

Really depends on how often you would be comfy  using just 110 and how you value that extra ease.

8 hours ago, JGSpector said:

I have. I owned 2 BF 110s a few years ago and they were great but I've recently in the last month got a BF 210. I would go with the 210 every time now that i've had experience with both options.

My reasons are:

- the 210 is still ridiculously small for what it can put out and it's a very easy 1 hand lift rather than two 1 handed lifts for 2 separate 110s.

- Tonally there is no difference between a single 210 or two 110s when run together, but the thing that swings it for me is that on the 110 you are limited by them being 8 ohm cabs giving you a 4 ohm load when they are run together. Whereas the 210 has a 4/12 ohm switch, enabling you to cater for almost any power of amp within reason. Barefaced say that when in 12 ohm mode, an amp going into the 210 will run at approximately 1/3 of its full power rating at a 4 ohm load.

For example, I have a Bergantino Forte HP2 which has a power rating of 1200 watts into 4 ohms. There is no way my BF 210 can take that kind of power in 4 ohm mode, however, if I switch it to 12 ohm mode, the Berg only runs at around 400 watts, which is well within the 210's power handling.

That flexibility really makes the difference for me.

Barefaced say the cab will take 800W if the input signal is "clean" despite the sticker on the back saying 500W. Chances are you'll never max out the amp at 400W, so if you felt so inclined you could leave the cab at 4 ohm, turn the volume down and enjoy the extra headroom.

5 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Barefaced say the cab will take 800W if the input signal is "clean" despite the sticker on the back saying 500W. Chances are you'll never max out the amp at 400W, so if you felt so inclined you could leave the cab at 4 ohm, turn the volume down and enjoy the extra headroom.

That is true. However, the truth is, I never use the Bergen Tino with the 210, I only use it with my SC or ST. I was simply using it as an example for my answer. I use an EBS Reidmar 752 with my 210, that amp is 450 W into a 4 ohm load which is absolutely perfect and phenomenally loud for such a small overall package

• Like 1

I find having a pair of One10s very handy.  Just one cab is fine for rehearsals and small gigs and both for bigger gigs.

The other point is I never have to carry more than about 7.5kg.  This is important when you have a hernia. 😉

Frank.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, machinehead said:

I find having a pair of One10s very handy.  Just one cab is fine for rehearsals and small gigs and both for bigger gigs.

The other point is I never have to carry more than about 7.5kg.  This is important when you have a hernia. 😉

Frank.

This is what I'm thinking, and why I asked the question.

I have one One10 which I use for home practise, it sits in the corner of the room almost unnoticed, but last week I decided to use it for a rehearsal and I was amazed at just how tight and punchy it sounded, so this got me thinking that if I had two, would they be able to cut through in a average size pub gig?

We play mainly 70's classic rock covers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

This is what I'm thinking, and why I asked the question.

I have one One10 which I use for home practise, it sits in the corner of the room almost unnoticed, but last week I decided to use it for a rehearsal and I was amazed at just how tight and punchy it sounded, so this got me thinking that if I had two, would they be able to cut through in a average size pub gig?

We play mainly 70's classic rock covers.

Absolutely no problems - even with a small amp like a MB200 or Elf.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

2x One10’s/ 1x Two10 are plenty for an average pub rock gig.

Tell that to the seppos!

There's 210's up for sale in the classifieds pretty regularly. Tells me they might be just a bit shy of what's needed for the louder pub band.

Snag a 210 and see before getting involved with 110's is my advice. If it's only getting warmed up on gigs then grab a pair of the 110's which usually come up singly so you can collect at leisure and flip the 210.

You equally might find you want another 210. One man's loud is another's tea party.

I have never even seen one of Alex's Barefaced cabinets so I cannot comment on that score.

I use the Acme Sound B2 three way cabinet. I'm certain that one would cover most gigs but I am conservative with my gear. I stack them on their ends so the divers are vertically aligned. They work better that way all around. Two stacked atop each other of a vertical 4x10 is my go to amplifier system. I always use the pair whenever I gig.

Newer drivers are more capable so I bow to BFM's wiser knowledge base. That said I can't imagine being able to successfully play a gig with just one ten.

I have only played through a One10 once and although I liked the tone at normal volumes, when it was pushed, I found it ran out of headroom. I didn’t try it for long or in a band situation, but I felt it needed more. I can imagine that playing through two or a Two10 would be plenty loud and sound amazing.

I was playing through a quilter bb800. 

I subsequently bought a Super compact, as I only wanted 1 speaker cab to carry about and for that to be light and easy to move. My friend has the super twin, which although sounds great, seemed less convenient to move about. 

I have found the Super Compact to be spot on. It is so loud that you won’t need two unless you are in a very loud band with no PA support. 

If you are happy to dial in your tone through amp eq rather than use native cab tone, a Super Compact might just do the trick if you want a very loud single speaker cab, although I would love another to sit on top, just for the hell of it! 

Until you use these things, you will never know really. Good luck! 

• Like 3