Why become a member? ×

Stingray over the years…what to know before buying?

Thunderpaws

Hi everyone. 

Before I ask, I’ve looked for a thread but can’t find one, so if anyone can’t point me in that direction it might save time? 

Looking to pick up a used Music Man Stingray in the next few months. I’m definitely looking for a 4H, whether be a 2eq, 3eq, Classic or Special. I’m sure I’d be happy with any of the above. 

My question really is, is there a timeline of any changes around:

- the neck size and shape…have they been fairly standard over the years?

- the weight…are there years to avoid with Uber heavy lumps of wood?

- the pickups, are there major changes in certain years to different magnets and tones? 

Cheers, and yeah, if anyone knows of a place where this is already answered please point out👍

Cheers! 

I had an 07/08 3EQ H 4 string and it suffered from the notorious weak G string. Good build quality but no character. The special that I have played was far superior but much more ££. The late 80s/ early 90s with birdseye maple and bassmutes have a good reputation 

9 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I had an 07/08 3EQ H 4 string and it suffered from the notorious weak G string. Good build quality but no character. The special that I have played was far superior but much more ££. The late 80s/ early 90s with birdseye maple and bassmutes have a good reputation 

I had a blonde, late 80's 2EQ Ray that was quite plain to look at, but played brilliantly, sounded half decent too. Sold it as I couldn't justify having an "expensive" bass. Later bought a mid 90's 2EQ Ray, no mutes, fabulous birds eye maple neck, rosewood board, again, played brilliantly, but I could not get a decent sound out of it no matter what I tried. Sold it and went back to passive basses.

There are very few, if any, dud Stingrays so you can buy any year with confidence you're going to get a good bass. I've had three, an early 90's two-band, a later 90's two-band and a three-band from the early 00's. The shape of the necks and weight were similar on all. The two-bands were both ash bodied though I think the three-band was poplar.

I'd say the biggest choice is in EQ and the thing to bear in mind, if choosing the more traditional two-band EQ model, is that the bass control is boost only, whereas the treble cuts and boosts. There is no bass boost taking place only when the bass control is fully wound down. A lot of people think setting it midway is a neutral setting and it is anything but. On the three-band, everything can be cut or boosted.

Given the difference, try to play a few and decide which EQ model suits you best, rather than taking a guess based on what different people with different ears say to you on the internet.

• Like 1

I haven't played loads, but I think the neck profile and PUP has been pretty much the same since day one.
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong (it does happen).

The bridge changed a bit in the early EB era - IMHO, the 'Flea' bridge (94-95) is the  best - still has the mutes, strings are straight from the saddles to tailpiece.

The site @ped mentioned has a thorough rundown!

I love my '94 3 band.

12 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I haven't played loads, but I think the neck profile and PUP has been pretty much the same since day one.
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong (it does happen).

It might have only related to the SR5s but I’m sure there was a period with ceramic pickups, rather than alnico. 

Found this from Seymour Duncan: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/the-history-of-the-music-man-stingray-bass-pickup-1976-2021#:~:text=Stingray invented it.-,The Music Man Pickup,found in the bridge position.

• Like 1

I like Stingrays, although not enough to keep the one I had, one of those basses one needs to own, the Alfa Romeo of the bass world.

Do play before you buy, some, like my mine had/have annoyingly quiet G strings. And the larger necks aren't for everyone, each to their own. 

And, I know this maybe a tough ask, be great to try it over a few days, a shop maybe able to accommodate you, just be a pest, pop in again and again. Because some can have quite 'lively' necks, as in need tweaking more often than most. Fortunately the truss wheel type fitting makes this easy enough, just a heads up. 

Good luck with your search 😎

Edited by iconic

46 minutes ago, iconic said:

I like Stingrays, although not enough to keep the one I had, one of those basses one needs to own, the Alfa Romeo of the bass world.

As an Alfa owner I don’t see this comparison. The Alfa is like a Warwick Thumb bass, beautiful, full of soul but some minor design faults that make it impractical. Stingrays are more like a BMW; good reputation, reliable, easy to use, does the job, but lacks the performance of alternatives. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

As an Alfa owner I don’t see this comparison. The Alfa is like a Warwick Thumb bass, beautiful, full of soul but some minor design faults that make it impractical. Stingrays are more like a BMW; good reputation, reliable, easy to use, does the job, but lacks the performance of alternatives. 

In my experience there's absolutely no lack of performance in Stingrays. Wouldn't be found dead in a BMW though.

The new Stingray Specials solve a lot of the ergonomic shortcomings of the older Stingrays. They also sound magnificent and EBMM have addressed the problem of the weak G ect with the introduction of the neodymium pickup. Specials are light and comfortable to play with a powerful and punchy tone, everything you could want from a Stingray. 

Some folks think the Specials sound slightly mellower than the older Stingrays but all I can say is that to my ears the Specials are still very aggressive sounding basses if you want to use them that way. I used to have a very nice pre-EBMM Stingray and I don't remember it sounding significantly better (or even much different) to my Stingray Special.

24 minutes ago, Bolo said:

In my experience there's absolutely no lack of performance in Stingrays. Wouldn't be found dead in a BMW though.

Fair enough, mine sounded ordinary compared to my other basses. The only wow factors were the looks and build quality - much like a BMW. But to keep the analogy going, like covering a lot of miles on the motorway, if I was regularly gigging, a stingray (BMW) would be a better choice than a Warwick Thumb (my Alfa).

Avoid:

Stingray Sterling by Sterling Music Man by Ernie Ball by His Sister's Ex-Girl Friend's Grandmother's Best Friend's Dog's Trainer's Wife's Cousin by Ernie Ball Music Man by Music Man Earnie Ball by Sterling

But instead go for:

Sterling Stingray by Ernie Ball Music Man by Sterling by His Best Friend's Dog's Trainer's Wife's Cousin's Ex-Girl Friend's Grandmother's Sister by Sterling Music Man by Ernie Ball Music Man by Music Man

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 4

If I may join in with the car analogy... A Stingray is a ridiculous American muscle car. Noisy, completely impractical because all it does is LOUD and in your face, but tons of fun. 

I made Mike from Zoot/ Iceni laugh when I said my Stingray is like having a big, stupid dog. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the knowledge and humour. I’ve decided to go for a beautiful Stingray Classic 4H 2eq from 2011. Weighs in at 9.2lbs so maybe not  the lightest but not the heaviest either. It should be with me next week, at which point I’ll do the obligatory NBD thread. There was an option for a Special at the same price, but I loved the aesthetics and the wood selection of the one I’ve gone for.  Happy days. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Thunderpaws said:

Thanks for all the knowledge and humour. I’ve decided to go for a beautiful Stingray Classic 4H 2eq from 2011. Weighs in at 9.2lbs so maybe not  the lightest but not the heaviest either. It should be with me next week, at which point I’ll do the obligatory NBD thread. There was an option for a Special at the same price, but I loved the aesthetics and the wood selection of the one I’ve gone for.  Happy days. 

Sounds lush! Welcome to the family.