Why become a member? ×

Tuning the Bass

I agree - C standard on a 4 string would be my preference. But it may depend on the songs. Assuming this is some kind of metal, that there'll be fast riffs that use the open G string, and that you'll be expected to follow the rhythm guitar, you may end up finding it easier to play in D-drop-C (i.e. C, G, C, F).

Depends on whether you are supposed to play in "unison" with the guitar(s). 

If it's not mandatory I would stick with standard tuning on a 5-string. In the past when playing with guitarists using down tuning if I'm not tuned to the same root notes as them it makes for more interesting song arrangements. 

However that may not what the rest of the band want.

• Like 2

If I'm just playing music generally, say at an open jam where there are lots of keys, then I'd stay in standard for convenience. If I'm playing something particularly 'guitaristic' like metal or rock where there is a lot of riding open strings involved or the downtuning is part of the tone, then I'll drop. 

I'm playing in drop C in my band and was using CGCFA#. I found the highest string wasn't getting used, so I've tuned that up to a C as well. Now I'm using CGCFC and I really like having easy access to the three octave spread super easily. 

Drop G was discussed on the band chat earlier... For my usual string brand, they recommend a .160 for that. That's just getting on for a suspension bridge support, not a bass string!

I've got a .149 for a B which I've used as low a G# every now and again.

If I needed a low G all the time a .160 makes a lot of sense. I'd do it.

Bigger is better the lower you go 🙂

Edited by Doctor J

I'd tune the 5 string down as well. I assume you're playing metal and there will be lots of playing riffs off open string which gets really tricky if you're not in the right tuning. 

Playing something like Reign In Blood would probably be impossible if you aren't in the same tuning as the guitar or have 8 fingers 10 inches long