Why become a member? ×

Fender Telecaster Bass - what is this logo?!

sambecker1

Dear Basschatters,

I have just seen this bass and the logo on the headstock looks familiar but can't work out hwere I've seen it before! Any clues from anyone on age and model? The body doesn't look original and the neck has had one of the tuners changed but any help with identification would be amazing!

All the best,

Sam

423815405_7352347251477926_1281020119846965857_n.jpg

423695843_7327974677258896_255947898783428280_n.jpg

425885832_7391997740861511_5991605088097446312_n.jpg

423860457_25251843181080860_1157484970827738492_n.jpg

426061158_7014423461939334_6596155916902968145_n.jpg

32 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah…sort a close but no benson and hedges…

What did Roy Walker used to say on Catchphrase; “it’s good, but nowhere near”.

" it's good but it's not right" 😁

1 hour ago, Jono Bolton said:

I'd take a punt that the neck is from a Fender Bullet Bass. The three tuners that match look correct for that model.

51735903124_d1b157d68b_k.thumb.jpg.23459e1be7c46e0cd18c58ce22bec285.jpg

yeah - that entered my head after…the one where fender got their own headstock shape wrong…😵‍💫

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Good spot!  I’d let the playability vs price dictate whether or not it’s a worthy purchase.  Who cares who made it if it’s a good player?!

Because one would assume the seller is attempting to pass this off as a vintage Fender and charge a fortune.

The body is a Harley Benton that’s been crudely drilled. You can tell by the bridge, so it’s worth £30 at most.

I’d guess the neck is the same that has been reshaped and a knock-off neck plate has been added.

The case is likely to be worth more than the bass.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Because one would assume the seller is attempting to pass this off as a vintage Fender and charge a fortune.

The body is a Harley Benton that’s been crudely drilled. You can tell by the bridge, so it’s worth £30 at most.

i think the previous poster is right and this is a Bullet Bass neck.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I’d guess the neck is the same that has been reshaped and a knock-off neck plate has been added.

I'm not sure its a Harley Benton body, the pickup looks too near to the bridge when it should be further forward, just below the waist of the bass. The pickguard and control plate are somewhat similar to an HB, but not quite. I'd have guessed it was an old Japanese/far Eastern copy, but it could be anything really. If the neck works and is decent nick it could be worth a few quid on its own, but the rest is a mess. I'd be interested to know what the seller's asking for. Presumably enough to buy himself some new socks.

Edited by Jono Bolton

47 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

I'm not sure its a Harley Benton body, the pickup looks too near to the bridge when it should be further forward, just below the waist of the bass. The pickguard and control plate are somewhat similar to an HB, but not quite. I'd have guessed it was an old Japanese/far Eastern copy, but it could be anything really. If the neck works and is decent nick it could be worth a few quid on its own, but the rest is a mess. I'd be interested to know what the seller's asking for. Presumably enough to buy himself some new socks.

The bridge is deffo a HB. The holes in the bridge to accommodate through-body stringing are so crude they've been done by an amateur with no chamfering. The metal plate on the back, rather than an embedded collet, tells you that. 

Whatever it is, it should be burned as a sacrifice to appease the bass gods.

No money should ever be paid for this bass.

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

If it is being passed off as a real Fender, then perhaps Trading Standards should be advised as I think it would be an offence.

On a private advert on fb marketplace?

Just seen this, and it does look like either a 1981 USA Fender Bullet bass neck or a slightly later (83-84) Japanese Squier Bullet bass neck to me.

I’ve owned examples of both in the past and the necks are really nice. Can you ask the seller for a couple of neck heel pics?

Prices of Bullet basses have gone nuts in the last year or two. I’d be tempted to buy it for the neck alone anyway if it was definitely a Bullet neck and had no truss rod issues 👍