Why become a member? ×

NBD: 2000 Yamaha SBV-500 "flying samurai"

andruca

Hi everyone 😘

I've been good in 2023, so the Three Wise Men brought me a 2000 made in Taiwan Yamaha SBV-500, which I had been craving for the last decade or so. Bass came from Japan for a great price. It's in good condition, has a small (non structurally compromising) crack going on from the E string tuner screw, apparently repaired (doesn't move and closer inspection reveals what looks like a glue line). Also it had a lot of surface rust on polepieces and screws (pickguard, pickups). Looked like it lived in a demanding environment (highly humid or beach zone, I guess). Nothing to worry too much about. I scraped it all away with sime sandpaper and steel wool (only steel wool for the polepieces). Also swapped the factory knobs (which I don't like) for those chickenheads. Took some time to scrub the back of the neck with some scotchbrite pads too, not that the finish was sticky bright, but it's even nicer to play now. Also I shielded the bass cavities. This is the 3rd bass I shield (did it to a G&L L-1505 and a cheap parts Jazz before). I WON'T DO IT AGAIN, NOT WORTH IT, no results really, hum reduction is negligible or inexistent.

The sounds amazing. It's like a more aggressive Jazz Bass tone. Has a really skinny sharp C profiled neck (less than 20mm thick @fret 1), which makes it also play awesome.

Here's some pictures (or it didn't happen)...

sbv14.jpg

sbv3.jpg

sbv4.jpg

This is how she looked all rusty...

sbv2.jpg

Thihs is how it came out after cleaning rust...

sbv15.jpg

This is the aforementioned crack...

sbv13.jpg

Time and coper tape miserably wasted...

sbv17.jpg

Detail of the scrub work on the back of the neck...

sbv16.jpg

And last, but not least, a bass cover vid (very appropriate song for the bass), so you can hear how it sounds...

Edited by andruca
  • Like 17

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Love the look of these! What is the scale? Medium?

Standard 34" scale. Looks small, I know, even my Stingray5s look like guitars on me 🤣

Edited by andruca

19 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Nice!

I've had two of these across the years and can't fault either of them. Last one was routed for active EQ but the standard passive tone is solid too.

I keep an eye out in case one pops up close to me at a good price.

That wasn't my one, was it?  Metallic blue, battery box added, EMG-BQC 3 band EQ, 3 stacked knobs?

• Like 1

I've had one of these for years, one of my favourite basses. Looks awesome, sounds like a Jazz on steroids, great player, pretty lightweight & balances a lot better than you'd think.

sbvfull1200.thumb.jpg.99db9217fe1c8e11135976fcaa99c868.jpg

Only a couple of changes from stock - I'm not a fan of a white scratchplate so I made the red pearl one, & the hi-mass bridge was gathering dust in my spares box, bunged it on for the hell of it. Not sure it makes any difference but looks nice!

Got mine aaaages ago from a BC member (can't remember who, sorry!) who went through an odd phase of attempting to collect every model variant (including the ultra-rare Blue Jeans 5-string, if I remember), every colour, and the original 60s/70s SB5s & SB7s etc. Mine was one of several duplicates he ended up with!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Miki Furukawa of J-Rock band Supercar has her own signature version, the SBV-800MF.

Is that basically an SBV-550 with a bound neck and black hardware, or am I missing something here?

30 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Is that basically an SBV-550 with a bound neck and black hardware, or am I missing something here?

Essentially yes. The body colour is also unique to the SBV-800MF.

There may be more differences (like neck profile etc.) but without having both versions to hand I wouldn't know. The other signature SVB - the BJ5B (BlueJeans Model) was completely different to all the other SBVs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just early this week I laid down 2 bass tracks for my band (fast melodic HC), both in drop D. Really like the tone. Jazz Bass definitely, but more aggressive and "glassier" highs. And it plays amazing. Will link a drums+bass sample once I have one.