Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

Only last night I had a bit of a wobble. I saw a bass that I’d really like to have but absolutely don’t need. Fuelled by a couple (or more) glasses of wine, I very nearly pulled the trigger but then something said “wait on, sleep on it before deciding”. This morning, in the cold light of day, I realised it was completely unnecessary so thankfully I’ve let go of the idea and I’m still on the wagon. Insidious this GAS thing is, isn’t it? 😂

• Like 2

One of the Seis has just gone in for a refret and I'm not going to have it back before the next gig. Use one of the fan frets, or buy a Cort Space? Decisions, decisions.

Then I decided I'd just use a headed bass instead.

10 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

I bought a power supply so I wouldn't be using my Fuel Tank Junior to just power one pedal, so I guess I'm now out. Well, as of about a week ago.

Is a power supply "bass gear"?  Surely it's a tier 2 failure at best?  I don't think this is a significant enough transgression.  Thoughts everyone?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

One of the Seis has just gone in for a refret and I'm not going to have it back before the next gig. Use one of the fan frets, or buy a Cort Space? Decisions, decisions.

Now this is dedication to the cause!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

If you look at the original post from a few years back, one of the reasons was to enjoy the kit you already have.  So you are in with the original spirit.  Good job

Having completed last year’s abstinence thread successfully, I think I may be appreciating the new kit I’ve bought this year a little more than I would have done prior to the year of abstinence.  Unintended positive consequences and all that.  Stick with it 😀.

Edited by Simon C

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Is a power supply "bass gear"?  Surely it's a tier 2 failure at best?  I don't think this is a significant enough transgression.  Thoughts everyone?

I concur.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Tier 2 yes - it's kit but not bass specific kit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Only if he has other instruments than basses - he may need to buy an electric guitar to stay in 😈

Where's that electric triangle I had lying around for this precise eventuality? ;)

• Haha 2

I have sinned. I’ve got two rather large packages containing errrrmmmmusical items arriving tomorrow. Booked to arrive on the only safe day of the week. The day that the Mrs is out all day! Hooray!😁

She has just informed me that she will be working from home all day tomorrow. Boo! 😬 I really don’t know how I’m going to explain a PA cab and a flight case arriving on the doorstep 😳 I’m going to have to go down the no comment route aren’t I? 😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

I have sinned. I’ve got two rather large packages containing errrrmmmmusical items arriving tomorrow. Booked to arrive on the only safe day of the week. The day that the Mrs is out all day! Hooray!😁

She has just informed me that she will be working from home all day tomorrow. Boo! 😬 I really don’t know how I’m going to explain a PA cab and a flight case arriving on the doorstep 😳 I’m going to have to go down the no comment route aren’t I? 😂

Fake an emergency at her work, or stand outside until the delivery arrives and stash them away.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Fake an emergency at her work, or stand outside until the delivery arrives and stash them away.

I’ve got the van parked right at the gate with the side loading door directly in front 😂 I’ll have worn a hole in the hallway carpet by the time it comes. She’s working in the front room too. Fate has conspired against me this time!

Just now, itsmedunc said:

I’ve got the van parked right at the gate with the side loading door directly in front 😂 I’ll have worn a hole in the hallway carpet by the time it comes. She’s working in the front room too. Fate has conspired against me this time!

Easy, take a photograph of the view outside the front window, have it printed on a large poster, put the poster in a frame and place it outside. 

Job done!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Tell the courier that you haven’t ordered anything and ask them to return to sender.  That way you won’t be in trouble with your missus, your bank balance will get a boost and you get to stay in the gear abstinence thread.  Happy Days.

4 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Tell the courier that you haven’t ordered anything and ask them to return to sender.  That way you won’t be in trouble with your missus, your bank balance will get a boost and you get to stay in the gear abstinence thread.  Happy Days.

Oh no no no, I would feel like a traitor to myself! A worthless lowdown traitor. I am an addict!

3 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Looking after it for a friend.

PS. This does require that you have a friend, so make sure you're properly equipped in that department.

Edited by tauzero
  • Haha 3

It’s gotten worse. Her first client has cancelled and now she’s wandering around like an apparition. Postie has just dropped off a parcel for her and I’m not in the slightest interested what it contains? Am I suffering from a form of domestic abuse here? Do I need to stand up for myself? If only I lived in Scotland 😂

• Haha 3

So the EMG GZR pickup GAS is growing, I'm now measuring shaft diameters, looking at replacement knobs and jack plates - this is not going to end well. :( 

It’s arrived! As luck would have it she went upstairs when the courier battered the door in. I quickly threw the PA speaker in the van and dived back in the house. She thinks he delivered the smaller parcel that arrived earlier. The flight case won’t arrive until tomorrow now. I really hope she doesn’t want to go out in the van 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Well.  I think you can knock me off the list; last week - and after a considerable amount of pre-2024 research - I bought a Harley Benton GPA-100 power amp.  £68.00. 

I just really needed something small to run my EUB through rather than keep having to set up all my Darkglass kit.  Bloody lovely it is too.  

• Like 3