Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

18 minutes ago, Phill said:

What counts as Unsolicited/Unprompted? for example if it was from an amplifier company themselves as part of a deal for instance & I reached out to them........maybe?

15 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I don’t think endorsements have been covered before, but if you’re reaching out to them for gear then there’s an argument for it being a purposeful acquisition.

Endorsements have certainly never cropped up before. I am inclined to think that an ongoing endoresment is sort of a business relationship, and should be outside of the scope. But setting up a new one as a way of getting round the rules is clearly dodgy. 

But so brilliant I would let it pass. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Endorsements have certainly never cropped up before. I am inclined to think that an ongoing endoresment is sort of a business relationship, and should be outside of the scope. But setting up a new one as a way of getting round the rules is clearly dodgy. 

But so brilliant I would let it pass. 😁

If it helps it was set in motion back last year haha

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phill said:

If it helps it was set in motion back last year haha

Ah well, in that case you're just "taking delivery" this year and as the commercial arrangements were made last year, it's within the rules.

We can sort out my fee later. :hi:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phill said:

What counts as Unsolicited/Unprompted? for example if it was from an amplifier company themselves as part of a deal for instance & I reached out to them........maybe?

You are a member of the Four Tops and I claim my £5 😉

Edited by Velarian
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Strings aside, little actual desire for anything new although you can never say never.  

If, for instance, my amp went, then obviously that's a necessity over GAS, right?

Put me on the list.

Sure, replacement of broken gear is allowed - but it has to be "like for like" - no sneaky upgrades - no replacing a 30W practice combo with a 1000W head and two cabs, for an extreme example...

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I'm in.

I just made it as my last purchase was on the 28th/12/2023

Does Software such as VST's count ?

Hmm, interesting grey area.  I have no experience in this field.  They're not physical, are they consumables to DAWs like strings are to basses?  Honestly, make your own mind up and if you think they don't count then don't bother reporting them.  I'll add you the noo.

• Like 1

VSTs are in the signal chain,  like a new synth, pedal or hardware compressor would be.  Probably a tier 2 fail?

A friend of mine just updated his laptop and was moaning about the length of time Apple took to register all his sample libraries and suites on the new hardware. He did concede there was over $2000 worth of them. That's definitely virtual GAS. (vGAS?)

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 21:22, Richard R said:

I won a copy of "Yes - Complete Deluxe Edition" at a Bass Bash raffle. It has this on the title page:

20240110_212000.thumb.jpg.fd01987d66b617b06d3d696d02ca2ff3.jpg

I can follow some of the dots. But four odd time signatures in five bars is hard to count:

20240110_212446.thumb.jpg.e269f3cff5d7f6b2921d429713c45a14.jpg

LOL! I donated that as it had scarred me for life!

• Haha 3

I was hoping to break my 2024 duck and get back to playing bass this year (Having been out of the game for quite some time and having my last bass stolen). 

Sadly I lost my job, marriage and home after a nightmare 2023 so it looks like I will likely be able to be abstinent this year! 

I do wish you all luck though! 

Edited by Shockwave
  • Sad 6

27 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I was hoping to break my 2024 duck and get back to playing bass this year (Having been out of the game for quite some time and having my last bass stolen). 

Sadly I lost my job, marriage and home after a nightmare 2023 so it looks like I will likely be able to be abstinent this year! 

I do wish you all luck though! 

I hope you manage to get back to a state where you can fail the 2024 abstinence thread.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

LOL! I donated that as it had scarred me for life!

It was at the first Bass Bash I attended, so I didn't know who anyone was. I wondered if it was yours when I posted that photo and read the name again. 😀

I would hate to be the poor sod who had to transcribe from the recordings!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Are you currently bassless?

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Are you currently bassless?

Sadly that is correct. For about 8 months now, I am a picky bugger as well. I was offered a Short Scale bass for free a few months ago, but at 6ft 3,who likes to downtune, and a long journey to acquire it I couldn't quite muster up the funds to travel... and muster the effort at the time.

I used to have quite the collection say 10 years ago. But Relationships took over and basses had to go for funds and over the past year just to survive! I kept hold of my practice amp and cables at least. 

Edited by Shockwave
  • Sad 1