Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

What about straplocks? 

That's a tough one.  The ultra hardcore adherent might argue that yes, straplocks are gear, and represent an upgrade to a bass which doesn't currently have them.  Some might say that they're sundry items.  Some might argue that standard strap buttons are defective by design!  You make up your own mind about them.  My advice would be that if you don't think they count and you think you're still in then just don't tell us about them.  It's just a bit of fun after all.

Alternatively, buy a couple of bottles of Grolsch and enjoy the free beer then find a creative use for the rubber washers you bought :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

What about straplocks? 

Buying straplocks implies that you've bought a bass. Surely nobody would buy a bass without immediately buying straplocks for it?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Buying straplocks implies that you've bought a bass. Surely nobody would buy a bass without immediately buying straplocks for it?

It is possible that someone had a near miss (or actual disaster) with an already owned bass and decided that they should invest in straplocks to protect their basses going forward?  I don't use straplocks (apart from one bass which arrived with them), but I could imagine a scenario that would convince me of their merit and necessity at a later date.

39 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

The rules given for tuners should still apply to strap locks. Do you smile or sigh when you buy them. Should be the answer.

Fair point. I hate straplocks as they’re clumsy and ugly but effective (like me).

Personally I’d class then as an essential purchase as their absence could impact my ability to play properly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Nah, I'm a latecomer to the straplock thing. I never used them, then iI bought a set last year for a guitar as it kept slipping off.

Aha. Brainwave. I'll take the ones off the guitar and swap them over. 

I'm still in... (the bass in question is my pink jazz bass that I bought in 2020, have the forum posts to back it up!)

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

their absence could impact my ability to play properly.

Aha!  Could be where I have been going wrong all this time - I don't use them! :D 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

when seated strap locks rattle. I do use them . They add length to a bass when in a hard case. 

They add length if you leave the strap on. If you take it off, they might add a millimetre or two.

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

They add length if you leave the strap on. If you take it off, they might add a millimetre or two.

I will need to ensure they fit into the hard case. Given I’m not buying basses or searching for them, I have the time.

21 hours ago, tauzero said:

I don't have straplocks on either my current basses, but for now, as I'm not gigging or rehearsing with others, I'm not getting them installed. Plus, only my secondary bass has a problem staying on the strap.

10 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

I don't have straplocks on either my current basses, but for now, as I'm not gigging or rehearsing with others, I'm not getting them installed. Plus, only my secondary bass has a problem staying on the strap.

I installed the ones I had so no money was spent.

On 12/01/2024 at 03:42, tauzero said:

I think there's even a song: You can leave your strap on. But is the case in discussion hard or soft?

Seriously, all my basses have strap locks, and they all work well (Schaller, Dunlop). I check them yearly, because every screw tends to loosen over time.

And I was just thinking of posting a "two weeks in - how you all doing?" type post today.

How's everyone else doing?  Holding up OK?

I was living dangerously earlier and looking at FB marketplace - mostly for things to mock but thankfully didn't see any tasty, tempting treats...

Two weeks in and I haven't even been tempted by anything, despite a healthy daily visit to this site and it's wicked marketplace, and a bookmark to Thomann prominent on the toolbar. 😀

This year's strategy is to bag up and store out of sight a coupe of basses with the intention of 'unboxing' later in the year and swapping over. I have found that part of the lure of gear acquisition for me is the idea of having something new (or new to me) and I have found that I can go some way to satisfying that by this method. I'll do the same with some effects pedals as I've just started using my Zoom B6. 

• Like 3

I'm holding strong so far.... but out  of interest & entirely hypothetical of course 😏 - If someone was to be given A full amp rig (two cabs & a head) but would only have to pay postage would that still be within the rules?

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

I'm holding strong so far.... but out  of interest & entirely hypothetical of course 😏 - If someone was to be given A full amp rig (two cabs & a head) but would only have to pay postage would that still be within the rules?

I'd say postage ain't gear. If the gear is being gifted then have at it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phill said:

Rules from page 1 - “Unsolicited/unprompted” gifts are okay. As long as you have evidence to support it is as per above… otherwise it’s GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY (your honor)

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Rules from page 1 - “Unsolicited/unprompted” gifts are okay. As long as you have evidence to support it is as per above… otherwise it’s GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY (your honor)

What counts as Unsolicited/Unprompted? for example if it was from an amplifier company themselves as part of a deal for instance & I reached out to them........maybe?

1 minute ago, Phill said:

What counts as Unsolicited/Unprompted? for example if it was from an amplifier company themselves as part of a deal for instance & I reached out to them........maybe?

I don’t think endorsements have been covered before, but if you’re reaching out to them for gear then there’s an argument for it being a purposeful acquisition.

• Like 1