Why become a member? ×

The Bassplayers' Bassist

Al Krow

The Bassplayers' Bassist   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your top 3 favourite bass players of all time?

• James Jamerson
    • Carol Kaye
    • John Entwistle
    • John Paul Jones
    • Geddy Lee
    • Pino Palladino
    • Les Claypool
    • Bernard Edwards
    • Chris Squire
    • Duck Dunn
    • Stanley Clarke
    • Jaco Pastorius
    • Paul McCartney
    • Larry Graham
    • Jack Bruce
    • Rutger Gunnarsson
    • Flea
    • Mark King
    • Jack Casady
    • Phil Lesh
    • Ashley Hutchings
    • Cliff Burton
    • Rob Trujillo
    • Geezer Butler
    • Anthony Jackson
    • Marcus Miller
    • Rocco Prestia
    • Norman Watt Roy
    • Robbie Shakespeare
    • Bootsy Collins

22 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Not a lot of love for esteemed funk/slap merchants - not even MM -  among the BC massive. Well, there's a surprise....naht!

But there's definitely some love - Les Claypool, MM and Flea have all got 7 votes apiece. I think most of us would take our hats off to pretty much everyone in that list of 30 even if they didn't quite make it into our top 3.

On 07/12/2023 at 00:03, EBS_freak said:

Didn't read that you could add another in before completing... so I'd like to offer up Rutger Gunnarsson and fave bass line of his, One Of Us.

Btw great shout adding Rutger! Out of interest why this bass line rather than perhaps something like his awesome bass line to Dancing Queen? I kinda feel he's a spiritual successor to Carol Kaye - any merit in that thought?

23 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Im Not sure why any of those Motown players are listed since carol kaye recorded all of it. No question. 

Who would recommend dropping from the list (from the 5 or fewer votes crowd) next time around?

Edited by Al Krow

On 09/12/2023 at 15:41, dudewheresmybass said:

It all stems from the tunes and music we're exposed to in our formative years - Which in my case seem to be continuing despite my advancing years ;)

This is my problem with lists like these here. I was never really exposed to a lot of the players on the list, and if I am familiar with some of the music they made, I certainly wasn't aware of the name of the person playing bass on it.

I know some of the name on the list (John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Mark King, Flea, McCartney) but very few of the others, and if I am aware of them, it's only in passing as I've seen the name mentioned here and I've gone looking for stuff of theirs.

It's part of what I enjoy about this forum so much, you don't just learn about the instrument, you learn about the people behind the instrument, and in many cases, the people that influenced those people.

All this is really to explain that I couldn't add my votes to the poll, because to me, none of those people are the people that influenced me.

Mark

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Btw great shout adding Rutger! ... I kinda feel he's a spiritual successor to Carol Kaye - any merit in that thought?

Why, did Rutger claim to have played on loads of hits with famous performances by other well known bass players? 

Edited by peteb

1 hour ago, LowB_FTW said:

This is my problem with lists like these here. I was never really exposed to a lot of the players on the list, and if I am familiar with some of the music they made, I certainly wasn't aware of the name of the person playing bass on it.

I know some of the name on the list (John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Mark King, Flea, McCartney) but very few of the others, and if I am aware of them, it's only in passing as I've seen the name mentioned here and I've gone looking for stuff of theirs.

It's part of what I enjoy about this forum so much, you don't just learn about the instrument, you learn about the people behind the instrument, and in many cases, the people that influenced those people.

All this is really to explain that I couldn't add my votes to the poll, because to me, none of those people are the people that influenced me.

Mark

Go Listen to Diana Ross and “ain’t no mountain high enough” and all/some of the other Motown and stax hits and tell me that they’re not influential enough to have had an effect on people you do recognise 

4 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Go Listen to Diana Ross and “ain’t no mountain high enough” and all/some of the other Motown and stax hits and tell me that they’re not influential enough to have had an effect on people you do recognise 

Did I not cover this in my post ... "It's part of what I enjoy about this forum so much, you don't just learn about the instrument, you learn about the people behind the instrument, and in many cases, the people that influenced those people."

I recognise that the names on the poll very likely influenced some/all the players that influence/d me, I'm just not specifically familiar with their playing, and whilst I appreciate your reply, I don't know that I specifically need to be familiar with their work either.

I'm certainly open to listening to them and what they have done, but don't be hatin' on me if I'm not overly enamoured by what I hear.

Just because people influence people that influence me, doesn't mean I have to be in awe of them.

Mark

6 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Did I not cover this in my post ... "It's part of what I enjoy about this forum so much, you don't just learn about the instrument, you learn about the people behind the instrument, and in many cases, the people that influenced those people."

I recognise that the names on the poll very likely influenced some/all the players that influence/d me, I'm just not specifically familiar with their playing, and whilst I appreciate your reply, I don't know that I specifically need to be familiar with their work either.

I'm certainly open to listening to them and what they have done, but don't be hatin' on me if I'm not overly enamoured by what I hear.

Just because people influence people that influence me, doesn't mean I have to be in awe of them.

Mark

Not hating on you at all. That’s rare round here, and isn’t something I do. I wasn’t suggesting awe at all. I do think you may have misread me, or perhaps I should have added an emoticon or two 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

Thought we were going to be 100 BC'ers and done, but we've had another twenty add their votes since then 😊. These are the ones who have received more than 10 votes apiece from 120 of us :

image.png.92bc6c3559f1b7a3c5fbe1b6bd685535.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, peteb said:

Why, did Rutger claim to have played on loads of hits with famous performances by other well known bass players? 

Funnily enough, although I very much doubt that Rutger would have claimed this himself, there are some songs which are commonly attributed to him that he didn't play on. A guy called Mike Watson (who is actually a Brit, not a Swede), played on SOS, Mamma Mia, The Winner Takes It All, and Super Trouper, amongst others. An American session guy whose name escapes me did Voulez Vous.

• Like 2