Why become a member? ×

Novice wanting to learn

The_Limey

I'm getting an old fart and musically I love Synths. Electronic music in the guise of Gary Numan and Ultravox etc.

But I'm really appreciating the bass. Well always did but now I actually want to have go at learning.

Ibanez and Squire etc. I recognise those but if I'm honest I'm one of those that can lose interest quickly or rather get frustrated then give in.

That said I still want to have a go and keep looking at those Bass packs that includes a small amp and strap etc.

I've seen cheap ones on PMT but on Amazon (of course) there are cheaper. 

Now as far as im concerned everything  gets made in China anyway.

Now sound wise according to a YouTube reviewer 5 of these under $100 they aren't that bad but it's more of build quality like the fret being rough and causing finger issues. Or crappy strings.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to buy cheap as long as it sounds OK or at least what I'm learning comes out correct

Edited by The_Limey

Might be a better idea to buy a good bass and then pick up a little practice amp. Those package deals aren't really good deals. We're talking bottom-line basses and you'll eventually have to buy something better if your serious.

I'm not saying they're bad basses, but why buy a decent bass when you can buy a great bass for a good price?

I've seen too many people quit because they bought the wrong bass. Don't be one of them. 

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Might be a better idea to buy a good bass and then pick up a little practice amp. Those package deals aren't really good deals. We're talking bottom-line basses and you'll eventually have to buy something better if your serious.

I'm not saying they're bad basses, but why buy a decent bass when you can buy a great bass for a good price?

I've seen too many people quit because they bought the wrong bass. Don't be one of them. 

Thanks for the advise.

I do get where you are coming from.

But you say why buy just a decent bass?

Well cost for a start. I dont aim to be established in any way or be in a band. Way too old and starting too late for all that.

I'm just after something that I can learn to play along with music of the late 70 early 80s Post punk era

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Dipping your toe in the world of guitar/bass is so accessible these days.

Harley Benton are the best bang for your buck, and they have a bass in nearly all shapes and tastes. 

100% agree. I've been playing 27 years and my backup bass is an HB jazz bass. It's perfect for its job. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Dipping your toe in the world of guitar/bass is so accessible these days.

Harley Benton are the best bang for your buck, and they have a bass in nearly all shapes and tastes. 

I've just had a look. There are indeed some cheap Harley Benton basses. Ones at 80-90 quid. How would these compare to a cheaper from 3rd Avenue or Max gigbit?

3 minutes ago, The_Limey said:

Thanks for the advise.

I do get where you are coming from.

But you say why buy just a decent bass?

Well cost for a start. I dont aim to be established in any way or be in a band. Way too old and starting too late for all that.

I'm just after something that I can learn to play along with music of the late 70 early 80s Post punk era

In that case, go to a few stores and try out as many basses as possible.

Some will look good, some will feel good and some will sound good.

Try enough basses and you'll find one that does all three.

Here are two typical package deals compared to $379.99 for a 40th-Anniversary Vintage Precision or Jazz.

Really no comparison, actually.

As mentioned above, Harley Benton is a good choice, too.

Screenshot_20231128_094728_Samsung Internet.jpg

PhotoCollage_1693651973789.jpg

The first bass is nice looking, and similar to the player's that you admire. The second is an interesting one. The third is the one that fits you.

We can suggest anything to you, just like car or shoes. But if you do not test drive anything, your choice will be a chore. Now take a walk or a drive to the nearest music shop. Test everything they have, trust your ears and hands.

No truer truism for this - buy cheap,  buy twice. 

I'd avoid a bass starter pack - the amplifiers will be under powered and lack tone which will have a negative impact on your motivation. 

Lots of decent amps producing 50w plus or keep your eyes open for a Trace Elliot BLX80 or 130 combo. Both much louder than the numbers suggest.

They can turn up for £100 - probably the best money you'll ever spend. 

Lots of good advice about entry level basses above - I'd also add Yamaha BBG4 - I picked one up for under £100. Lot of bass for not much money. 

If you're in the Herts area you're welcome to pop round and try some gear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

a Trace Elliot combo

The chap's opening sentence was "I'm getting an old git". Please think of his poor old back. TEs are so heavy they have their own gravitational field! :D

You wouldn't go far wrong with a Fender Rumble though. Lovely and light. Squier are pretty good, as are the Harley Bentons (Thomann's own brand).

Buy second hand if you can and you'll be able to move them on with very little financial loss if you change your mind

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Norris said:

The chap's opening sentence was "I'm getting an old git". Please think of his poor old back.

I don't envisage him gigging for a while so he probably won't have to move it often. 

Also, the solid tonal palette from the Trace Elliot should give him the incentive to play. 

A piddly little amp won't do that.

• Like 1

Gentlemen

Thanks for all your advice. Some mentioned I recognised. Ibanez Ive always liked the look of.

However many of you have mention the Harley Benton so I'll have a look

As my music preference is more on the punk/new wave sound would i be correct getting P bass would be more beneficial?

blimey Limey - that wouldn't be an old photo of you (on keys?) in a band from skooldays, would it?  Just reminds me of mine - all jackets, ties ...and hair!

+1 for going and trying out some basses/ gear

can i also recommend starting with a decent (so maybe 'used') pedal-type preamp to give you a flagship type sound, listening on headphones and being able to Aux In MP3s/CDs/Youtube

Amps/cabs/combo could come a bit later?

Cheers and welcome!

P basses are generally the single middle pickups. Most straightforward basses around!

P J basses have a split middle pickup and single pickup closer to the bridge. Gives you bit more versatility and a few more tonal options, still easy enough to handle though! 

Something like this one would be a great place to start!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pj_74ow_vintage.htm

• Like 1

Gentlemen

Again thank you for your input. I have now purchased a Bass.

Whilst the Harley Benton was favoured, I chose to go into PMT and bought an Aquity https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/antiquity-aq-pb-bass-guitar-black

Mind you I ended up spending more than I needed and went for the Fender amp https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-mustang-lt50-guitar-amp

BUT i have one issue. Maybe its because Im not used to it, but I'm having issues with using my forefinger on the fret. It doesnt reace very well. The irritating thing is im 6 foot bloody 3 yet have small hands and fingers . Any tips ?

Edited by The_Limey
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The_Limey said:

BUT i have one issue. Maybe its because Im not used to it, but I'm having issues with using my forefinger on the fret. It doesnt reace very well. The irritating thing is im 6 foot bloody 3 yet have small hands and fingers . Any tips ?

Don't have the bass too low and push your forearm forwards so your wrist/hand naturally wrap around the bass.

9 hours ago, The_Limey said:

Gentlemen

Again thank you for your input. I have now purchased a Bass.

Whilst the Harley Benton was favoured, I chose to go into PMT and bought an Aquity https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/antiquity-aq-pb-bass-guitar-black

Mind you I ended up spending more than I needed and went for the Fender amp https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-mustang-lt50-guitar-amp

Nice! I've got my eye on an Antiquity Les Paul copy. Seemed really nice when I played it in store. 

What sort of doesn't react well? Can you be a bit more specific?

Just in case... Your finger should be just behind the fret not on it, so the fret is doing the work. 

10 hours ago, The_Limey said:

Could you be more specific? If you mean that you're putting your forefinger on the fret to play the note, that's a problem because you need to put your finger just behind the fret, otherwise your finger will damp the string vibrations. If you mean that you're not getting round to the string properly, make sure that your left hand is positioned so the thumb is pretty much central at the back of the neck and your left forearm is sloping upwards from the elbow.