Why become a member? ×

New to me amp playing up

ardi100

Hi all,

Two nights ago I bought an Ashdown RM500, used, from a gentleman 5 minutes down the road from me. I spent half an hour playing through the amp with my bass, cab and cables. Everything sounded great so I purchased the amp and took it home.

On playing it tonight I discovered a very ugly, intermittent distortion sound that I couldn't isolate. I swapped out the amp for my old amp and it disappeared. I tried all the variables I could but it seemed the amp distorted after playing with different features - drive, sub bass, etc.

I've messaged the seller with the details and a sound clip of the problem. He's agreed to have a look at it saying that he's never had any problems before.

What do the good folk of basschat think about this?

Edited by ardi100

• ardi100 changed the title to New to me amp playing up

It’s most probably an easy thing to deal with, I had something similar with mine and Ashdown sorted it for me (bizarrely made a similar noise when the mute button was pressed). But I bought it new, if it had been used and played up like yours has after 2 days I’d more than likely want the seller to take it back.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It’s most probably an easy thing to deal with, I had something similar with mine and Ashdown sorted it for me (bizarrely made a similar noise when the mute button was pressed). But I bought it new, if it had been used and played up like yours has after 2 days I’d more than likely want the seller to take it back.

Cheers, that's my initial reaction.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

^^^^This. If the seller will give you a full refund, don't hesitate to take it. He can send it to Ashdown for a check up and then sell with confidence. 

How far are you from Ashdown HQ? They are excellent about servicing their stuff, by nearly all accounts.

To my mind the amp was fine when you picked it up. Ergo the failure is on your watch so to speak. Playing around with buttons and features is something to be done on the test drive. As a seller of a fully functional amp I would be highly suspicious that you gave it an illegal load or dropped it or something. Don't  know you from Adam.

On a different tack. Make sure you didn't leave the subharmonic 'muddifier' button engaged.

• Like 4

Thanks for the thoughts.

I tried it again yesterday. First time perfect, not a hint of that awful noise. Second time, as soon as I plugged it in it started, but it also cut out for large intervals, like 5 or more seconds at a time.

I also noticed plugging in the jack triggered an audible pop and crackle, even with the mute engaged.

I think Ashdown put an automatic mute on the output when there isn't something connected to the input - I'm assuming using a TRS jack socket. I wonder if that has possibly failed? I'd send it off to Ashdown for a diagnoses though. They got me sorted really quickly when my ABM-600 wasn't behaving properly.

• Like 1

If it’s cutting out assuming it’s not a poor input connection then the class D module might be faulty which would mean unlikely it can be repaired at a sensible price. 

I would return to the seller for a refund asap 

I assume you have a good speaker connection? Try a Jack in the middle of the Speakon ( they are dual input I think on the RM ) and try that 

Sounds mostly like a poor connection but the fact it cut out for several minutes is a worry. 
Ringing Dave Green at Ashdown would be helpful or posting it to them. They offer repairs at virtually nothing !!

But if the class D module is faulty they would probably say it’s not repairable. 

Edited by BassAdder60

6 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

If it’s cutting out assuming it’s not a poor input connection then the class D module might be faulty which would mean unlikely it can be repaired at a sensible price. 

I would return to the seller for a refund asap 

I assume you have a good speaker connection? Try a Jack in the middle of the Speakon ( they are dual input I think on the RM ) and try that 

Sounds mostly like a poor connection but the fact it cut out for several minutes is a worry. 
Ringing Dave Green at Ashdown would be helpful or posting it to them. They offer repairs at virtually nothing !!

But if the class D module is faulty they would probably say it’s not repairable. 

Remember if it’s a private sale they have no right to get a refund. There is no way I’d refund someone who had bought something from me in good faith, tested working fine moments before they paid. 
If the seller offers anything it’s out of good will only. 

Edited by Minininjarob
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, la bam said:

It's not the old headphones switch/bufton on the back is it? 

Just check your headphone button isn't pressed in. 

Just plugged it in for another quick check and this indeed appears to be it. 

The noise was there from start up, checked the button, headphone setting was engaged. Button out, noise gone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'm very aware that the seller wasn't obliged to do anything, I haven't hassled him, just made him aware. 

Now, off to actually enjoy the new amp!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

Just plugged it in for another quick check and this indeed appears to be it. 

The noise was there from start up, checked the button, headphone setting was engaged. Button out, noise gone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'm very aware that the seller wasn't obliged to do anything, I haven't hassled him, just made him aware. 

Now, off to actually enjoy the new amp!

No problem. Glad you're sorted. That headphone button has caught nearly everyone out who owns one at one time or another, me included :)