Why become a member? ×

New to me amp playing up

ardi100

8 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

So does this mean that mine will make that horrible sound if I'm trying to use the headphones

I’ll try my one in a minute and see if it does the same, I’ve only used it once with headphones quite a while back and the sound wasn’t great if I remember correctly, otherwise they are a really good amp, I shall report back 

12 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

So does this mean that mine will make that horrible sound if I'm trying to use the headphones? Seems like an odd design. I'm not aware of any other amps with a headphone button.

It's possible. The sound you are getting is because the headphone interrupt to the speaker has malfunctioned. Otherwise you would be getting nothing at all. Plugging in headphones may or may not help the situation but I wouldn't in case the headphones got sent speaker voltage and that would be real bad.

20 minutes ago, police squad said:

headphone button catches us all. Not a design triumph unfortunately. I always check it now when I set up

Yep, caught me out the other night. I’ve now taped an instruction onto the amp to check this now so I hopefully don’t cause myself major panic anymore.

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, caught me out the other night. I’ve now taped an instruction onto the amp to check this now so I hopefully don’t cause myself major panic anymore.

My wife went for an audition and took my RM. She has the same problem but didnt know about the switch (it hadn't happened to me at that point so I couldn't warn her about it

14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just been playing around with mine for an hour and it doesn’t seem to like the headphone button being used, all sorts of crackle through the cab and it took quite a few times pressing it to get it back to normal 

Just spoke to Dave green and he said it’s probably the switch has gone, I’m dropping mine in and he’s going to remove or replace it, I don’t use it anyway for headphones 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just spoke to Dave green and he said it’s probably the switch has gone, I’m dropping mine in and he’s going to remove or replace it, I don’t use it anyway for headphones 

I think I`ll get this done, good call methinks.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So, my RM500 has just been returned for the second time and it's still playing up. 

I contacted Dave at Ashdown and sent it in, it came back without a headphone button, but still crackling. Same with the last attempt.

I don't know what to think, to be honest. I haven't paid anything (apart from postage) for repairs on a well used 2nd hand amp, which is awesome customer service. Equally, it has cost me £30 quid to post in twice and it's still not working. 

Thoughts?

So, when Dave called me he initially said to "chuck it in the bin," which I wasn't really happy to hear. He then told me he was sending me a 'new' (returned) RM 800 as he had one that was perfectly operational but had been sent back and that it would take too long to work out the exact problem with my RM 500. 

I was astounded! 

The new amp arrived today, works flawlessly and I am one happy camper!

Incredible customer service.

• Like 10

Excellent!

I've had four Ashdowns over the last 20 years and I've never had a problem with any of them. Still have a UK built ABM EVO lll which is still going strong and sounds great.

13 hours ago, ardi100 said:

So, when Dave called me he initially said to "chuck it in the bin," which I wasn't really happy to hear. He then told me he was sending me a 'new' (returned) RM 800 as he had one that was perfectly operational but had been sent back and that it would take too long to work out the exact problem with my RM 500. 

I was astounded! 

The new amp arrived today, works flawlessly and I am one happy camper!

Incredible customer service.

Dave definitely seems a good sort, and is one of the reasons I'll stay an Ashdown player.

28 minutes ago, police squad said:

this is why I now use Ashdown gear. A british company with astounding customer service

True. I'm struggling to imagine another company in a different industry doing anything approaching this good.