Why become a member? ×

Great tracks - why are they great??

TheGreek

People have their own views on how they define music to be 'Great'

Here's my view, I don't see that 'Great' is related to units shifted or streamed; how much airplay a song has received over time, or how much advertising revenue a song has generated for the radio stations or streaming services that offer it.

Its exposure to songs that leads to people being able to whistle parts of it or know the lyrics.

• Like 1

"Stands the test of  time" isn't necessarily an indication of "greatness".  Nowadays, with umpteen radio stations playing golden oldies almost anything stands the test of time... There's yer Polka Dot Bikini, yer Grandma, Yer Obladi, Oblada, Shang-a-Lang and many many more!

And bear in mind that Bach had been largely forgotten after his death; it took 100 years until 1820-odd for his music to be revived by Mendelsohn.

I would personally argue that "great" is rather overused - it's generally applied to almost anything that's relatively popular. I think it should be reserved for music that's ground-breaking and influential as otherwise it's just another way of saying "I like it, and so does he/she". So, frinstance, Derek Bailey's experimental feedback music should be seen as great despite the fact that most people would absolutely hate it and call it noise. But that noise influenced Jimi Hendrix heavily... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, No lust in Jazz said:

People have their own views on how they define music to be 'Great'

Here's my view, I don't see that 'Great' is related to units shifted or streamed; how much airplay a song has received over time, or how much advertising revenue a song has generated for the radio stations or streaming services that offer it.

Its exposure to songs that leads to people being able to whistle parts of it or know the lyrics.

Absolutely, but I don't that it is necessarily that people can whistle it or remember the words (although that might be part of the reason). A track can be great for many different reasons, which along with the subjective issue, makes it difficult to precisely define what is 'great' or not. That doesn't mean that there are great songs though. 

The other thing is what is the bar for 'great'? Are people throwing the term 'great' around for tracks that are merely 'very good'? 

There was music (some of it 'great'...) before streaming, or charts, or even sales statistics. There is music (some of it 'great'...) in every language and culture the World over. Music is not restricted to being played on the radio. Music, by its very nature ephemeral, gone as soon as it's produced. If it's 'great' enough, it will be repeated, or at least remembered, for far longer than its original existence, and perhaps, nowadays, recorded for another day. Much of modern music, just like past music, had no further pretension that to be entertaining at the time produced, and thus disposable like a paper tissue. They may have their value, but would not be considered 'great'. More rare are pieces that are worth preserving, to maybe become 'great' in the fullness of time.

I was a teenager in the 1960s and well remember hearing "River Deep, Mountain High" blasting through my little medium wave transistor radio from a "pirate radio" station, based on a ship anchored off the Isle of Man.  It still sends tingles down my spine.  Aretha's "I've Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)" was another track that got to me.

There have been many classic tracks that have stood out from the crowd like; "The Power of Love" by Jennifer Rush and "Macarthur Park" by Richard Harris.  They made an impact even if they may not be personal favourites.  I love Macarthur Park by the way!  Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" is a classic country song with a beautiful arrangement.  Personal taste obviously comes into our selections but some tracks just have that certain something that sets them apart.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Welcome to the very small club - thought I was the only member!

I recall seeing him perform that live on a TV show and he failed to get that high note at the end. So he apologised and told the band to play the ending again. And nailed it. 

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I believe this is a great song.  I love the way it keeps bouncing between major and minor.  I love the slightly unusual rhythm pattern unlying it.  Hard to imagine a vocal performance better than this.

Exceptional artist. Worked with some great players, producers and arrangers. Love the drums on Just a Little Loving from Dusty in Memphis. Probably overlooked for many years due to her personal life which is very sad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I believe this is a great song.  I love the way it keeps bouncing between major and minor.  I love the slightly unusual rhythm pattern unlying it.  Hard to imagine a vocal performance better than this...

Really 'old school' drum production, played by Bobby Graham, and sounding as if recorded in a huge cavern..! Monstrous..! B|

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's Gene 'Bubba' Chrisman, one of the 'Memphis Boys', a session team that created many, many 'hits' for many, many huge artists. Good Stuff. :rWNVV2D:

It's the accent on the 2 of the second bar that gets me. 3/4 can  often sound so lumpy, but this makes it move beautifully.

• Thanks 1