Why become a member? ×

Rolling fingerboard edges?

police squad

I use a blunt round metal object like a screwdriver shaft, and very gently go over the edge of the fretboard, gently rolling it back and forth between each fret, pressing down with a little pressure , just enough to take the sharp edge away and give the wood a radius.

I wouldn’t attempt this on a massively expensive bass though 

• Like 2

I don't think there's a way to do this on a maple fingerboard, so I never do those, but on an unlacquered fingerboard (I've done rosewood, pau ferro, and ebony boards) there are a few methods. I used to use a screwdriver shaft to compress the wood at the edge of the fingerboard to round it off, however I now favour using an extra fine sanding pad (eg https://amzn.to/3sFbdxl) This is a much quicker job and an additional benefit of this is that it also rounds off the edges on the frets making them extra comfy on the fingers. Taking the neck off the guitar/bass to do this makes it easier. I've done this on instruments ranging in cost from £100 to £1200 and have always been pleased with the results.

Update: this is the exact pad I have most recently used, a Bosch superfine -> https://amzn.to/46gIM6B

81awo2sLIRS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I don't think there's a way to do this on a maple fingerboard, so I never do those, but on an unlacquered fingerboard (I've done rosewood, pau ferro, and ebony boards) there are a few methods. I used to use a screwdriver shaft to compress the wood at the edge of the fingerboard to round it off, however I now favour using an extra fine sanding pad (eg https://amzn.to/3sFbdxl) This is a much quicker job and an additional benefit of this is that it also rounds off the edges on the frets making them extra comfy on the fingers. Taking the neck off the guitar/bass to do this makes it easier. I've done this on instruments ranging in cost from £100 to £1200 and have always been pleased with the results.

I'll try one of these then. It's an unlacquered maple board (Harley Benton) so should be fine

1 minute ago, Dazed said:

I’ll double check but I’m sure my Limelight with maple board and neck has rolled edges. 

That's fine if it's done when the bass is made - I think the difficulty comes with retrospectively doing this to finished/lacquered maple boards.

• Like 1

Just now, kodiakblair said:

I'm never saw the point, my wee stubby fingers never come into contact with the fretboard edges.

TBT, I can't think of a situation where they would.

That is a fair point - to be completely honest the only time I notice the rolled edges of my Sire's fretboard is when I actively feel for them - in normal playing it doesn't even register.

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

I'm never saw the point, my wee stubby fingers never come into contact with the fretboard edges.

I bought a custom build bass, when it arrived, when compared to others that I own, the edge of the fretboard was noticeably 'sharp / machined / keen' (perhaps not the right words). I made it more in keeping with my others by rolling the edge of the fretboard. For me this has been an improvement, this said, others may not have felt the need for this.

46 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

@neepheid

My gut feeling is it's some crossover from the guitar world, like this sudden need for infinite sustain we are all meant to have these days😄

I had this guy come up to my bass last week and play a note and it’s still going - just like in spinal tap . Doesn’t everyone have this thoroughly normal requirement? 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I currently own two Precisions. One, my long-serving FrankenFender, has a 2014 American Special Jazz neck. This has factory-rolled edges. I never thought a great deal about it, because other basses I put together around the same time had bound necks.  Having now got the Squier Sonic P, the sharper edges are very obvious, although not a big problem. As the fret ends are actually pretty good, I reckon I might get away with a gentle roll with a socket, as these maple boards have very thin finishes.

9 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I now favour using an extra fine sanding pad (eg https://amzn.to/3sFbdxl) This is a much quicker job and an additional benefit of this is that it also rounds off the edges on the frets making them extra comfy on the fingers. Taking the neck off the guitar/bass to do this makes it easier. I've done this on instruments ranging in cost from £100 to £1200 and have always been pleased with the results.

This.

I could do some SERIOUS damage with a flap wheel and an electric drill!

I have never really thought about this, but I did have a bass once which had REALLY crisp fretboard edges. I actually really liked it. It felt clean and defined.

Obviously, I sold it. If anyone has my red Sei J5, I would like it back.

• Haha 1

I do it to every bass I own. I use a small fine file, and I round off the fret end while I'm on the job. I only do the treble side, my thumb never comes up over the bass side. I finish off with  two grades of sandpaper, then treat the board with fingerboard conditioner. Patience and common sense is all that is required.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Telebass said:

I currently own two Precisions. One, my long-serving FrankenFender, has a 2014 American Special Jazz neck. This has factory-rolled edges. I never thought a great deal about it, because other basses I put together around the same time had bound necks.  Having now got the Squier Sonic P, the sharper edges are very obvious, although not a big problem. As the fret ends are actually pretty good, I reckon I might get away with a gentle roll with a socket, as these maple boards have very thin finishes.

Yes, just a gentle squeeze is all you need. 
the buyer of my rolled p bass was highly impressed with the feel of a vanilla neck with a bit of rolling, and he owns a genuine 77 p. He is therefore a conis-sewer

• Like 1