Why become a member? ×

Getting over "the one that got away"

Bafflegab

Hey folks :)

I used to have two short scale basses, and since I'm no longer in bands etc I weighed up the pros and cons of each a couple of years ago, and sold one.

Turns out it was the wrong one lol, of course, instant regret.  I tracked it down, unsurprisingly the current owner doesn't want to sell as he loves it so much.  Mixed emotions really, I'm totally gutted but genuinely pleased he's enjoying it so much, and totally understand him not wanting to move it on.

Anyway... since selling it, my drive to play has vanished, and I'm thinking of selling my Warwick short scale (and my guitar) to fund a bass that will inspire me to get back into it, and that's where you lot come in

I like more modern sounding basses so no Höfners, Mustangs, that soft of thing.  Jazz, P/J, MM, active wouldn't hurt but passive isn't a deal breaker.  30-31" scale (I have bad CTS).  I like J bodies, but will consider others.  And I really hate neck dive 😒 

Happy to be bombarded with suggestions to check out!  Budget, let's say £1k

• Like 2

Pardon me for assuming what’s ‘under the hood’, but I’d wager that your lack of drive to play isn’t primarily due to the instruments you have and don’t have, but by something outside of that, especially given you’re not currently in a band. 

That said, if I’m way off the mark, either find another of the bass you’re pining for or head to a bass bash or a well enough stocked shop and see what takes your fancy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Pardon me for assuming what’s ‘under the hood’, but I’d wager that your lack of drive to play isn’t primarily due to the instruments you have and don’t have, but by something outside of that, especially given you’re not currently in a band. 

That said, if I’m way off the mark, either find another of the bass you’re pining for or head to a bass bash or a well enough stocked shop and see what takes your fancy. 

I would agree, but the drive to play disappeared with the bass I sold.  It was a custom build, only one in existence :(

• Like 2

I know someone who is a record producer and works with Sade. Apparently she has a habit of fixating on takes, and loses motivation if it’s not captured. So he has to record everything. Literally every second of every session on multiple mics.

There is no logic to music sometimes, it’s how you feel. 

I’d see if I could get another bespoke build that you can invest emotionally in it.

I was lucky in that about 10 years ago I was able to build up a collection of about 50 guitars and basses, so that when it came to pare it down to just the instruments I really wanted was going to actually use it was easy to compare and contrast and make a decision about which I liked and which I was just owning because I could. I'm now down to two 5-string basses, two Bass VIs and two guitars, which is basically a main and a backup for each. It would be nice to still have most of the instruments I sold, but the ones I kept are the ones that were getting the most use and therefore it's better that the others have hopefully gone to people who will actually play/gig/record them and not keep them unplayed in their cases.

• Like 4

When I was a student in the late 90s I saw a 70s Jazz for sale in a second hand shop in Leeds for £750, which was tantalisingly outside the budget I had available to, you know, eat and stuff. It was gorgeous, natural finish and maple board and looked the business, and I was extremely tempted. But other things took priority so I left it on the hanger. If I'd spent the money on that rather than the Marshall half-stack I bought instead (no idea why to this day, but I did make a tidy profit on the amp so it's not all bad news) then I suspect I may have done more with my bass playing over the intervening 20-odd years.

I picked up an ashdown shirt scale Grail. This is a slimmed down jazz, plays really well, sounds good with decent pickups. Super light and no neck dive as it has lightweight hipshot tuners. 

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/the-grail-short-scale

Probably won't feel custom made but ticks your boxes and should do the job. 

Yep still think about the one i wasn't quick enough to buy a few years back. Although it wasn't sold on here, it was bought by someone here.

Just the nicest looking musical instrument i have ever seen. Only surpassed by Rory Gallagher's strat for beauty. 

To ease the pain I employed someone to build a copy for me.  Which is amazing and i love it, but yer still not that is it. 

10 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

Only surpassed by Rory Gallagher's strat for beauty. 

I've seen the guitar in question close-up at an exhibition of famous instruments. TBH I was rather glad it was in a sealed glass case because it is pretty disgusting. You could probably clone Rory from the sheer amount of human "gunk" coating the various pats (especially the bridge). I wouldn't feel safe playing it without wearing a full hazmat suit.

• Haha 2

A number of years ago I had first dibs on a 1979 Wal Pro11e in natural finish on here, my dream bass for a lonnnng time.

Incredibly, and completely out of the blue, a day or so later job losses were announced for a large section of our workforce, including me 😣

With four kids to support I couldn't justify the £1700 price tag.. 😟

It went to a fellow basschatter of course, and I pm'd him to congratulate him on his new acquisition.

But I've never quite got over missing out on that bass...

😖

• Sad 1