Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Music Man Retro ’70s StingRay Bass

stonevibe

These look great but £3299 is quite a bit beyond my bass budget, I am afraid 😞

However, good news is that, according to Peach Guitars, the price "was" £3799 (not sure when as they just listed them today), so maybe they really are a bargain 😉 

https://www.peachguitars.com/music-man-retro-stingray-bass-70s-stingray-h-black.htm 

https://www.peachguitars.com/music-man-retro-stingray-bass-70s-stingray-h-white.htm 

• Like 2

I saw a few Instagram posts about these and got very excited until I remembered how much MusicMan basses costs these days.

£3199 at GuitarGuitar, which I am sure is fair for a USA made instrument these days and I know the quality will be ace, but I just can’t wrap my head around it. You could get a vintage original stingray for that money, or go and get a late 80’s early 90’s for a lot less, and get a forearm and belly contour thrown in for good measure.

Edited by NJE

They have too many versions/places of manufacture/brands and sub brands, to keep track of now. 

However;

This is a Stingray Proper! I’m glad to see all the correct/original design cues on the instrument. I wouldn’t buy their weight saving versions (fender bridge and lightwEight tuners)  now based purely on the cosmetics so it’s good to see the actual design on sale again. 

Not that I’d pay £3k for one either though 🤣

• Like 1

Stingray proper as per 1976/77 even down to the original long pole pieces and tantalum capacitors it seems.

The natural finish is only available in the on line shop (The Vault) - hmmm…. they ship internationally! 

I suppose when you compare the price to a used pre EB Stingray, you’re getting the same thing, with new parts, but with warranty etc etc. Similar principle (and price) to, say a Fender CS Pino bass!! 

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

The natural finish is only available in the on line shop (The Vault) - hmmm…. they ship internationally! 

I saw that and I cannot unsee it. That's the bass I always wanted (Bernard Edwards/Louis Johnson vibes) but I just don't have the funds 😞 

On 31/10/2023 at 17:51, Eldon Tyrell said:

These look great but £3299 is quite a bit beyond my bass budget, I am afraid 😞

However, good news is that, according to Peach Guitars, the price "was" £3799 (not sure when as they just listed them today), so maybe they really are a bargain 😉 

https://www.peachguitars.com/music-man-retro-stingray-bass-70s-stingray-h-black.htm 

https://www.peachguitars.com/music-man-retro-stingray-bass-70s-stingray-h-white.htm 

It appears the Peach ones have been sold. Judging by the apparent lack of interest on Basschat (compared with Talkbass where there have been about 300 replies to the thread…) I can only assume this is because BC may have ceased to be a beacon of what’s going on, basswise these days - or maybe the U.K. has stagnated, bass wise!!! 🥴🤣

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

It appears the Peach ones have been sold. Judging by the apparent lack of interest on Basschat (compared with Talkbass where there have been about 300 replies to the thread…) I can only assume this is because BC may have ceased to be a beacon of what’s going on, basswise these days - or maybe the U.K. has stagnated, bass wise!!! 🥴🤣

Or we are just all BROKE 😞

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Most likely, yes - this is GB after all (and even Nigel’s broke (relatively!!😀) according to banks!!). Looking at the more expensive stuff in Marketplace it seems you’re right. 

Maybe "broke" was a bit harsh but I am sure that most of us (including me) have less money available for bass related stuff, esp. if you are not a pro musician and just a hobbyist (like myself). Two years ago, I was able to afford a Timmy C, last year the Darkray, this year I would have loved to pull the trigger on the natural Retro Ray but just cannot afford it (landing cost: £3510.37!). Sad but true.  However, I still have the EBMM Vault website open in a tab, just in case ; - )

Ernie Ball. If you're reading this thread, sort your life out. Issuing a bass which costs more new than the period model it's copying? Really?!!

I think there are far better basses that I'd spend £3100 on. Plenty of manufacturers (some of which are in the affiliate pages here) which for that cash would make a bass that would be spectacular. 

There's nothing massively special about these. They're not character basses in the way that brands like Alembic, Wal, Status, ACG are. They're just a slightly more modern take on what Leo thought a bass should be in the 70s. As such, they're not boutique and to me are a £2k bass max.

Maybe it's all reverse psychology though. Maybe they don't really want to ship to Europe and the UK so are jacking up the prices so nobody will buy them leaving them cheaper in the US where their more natural market is?

• 1 month later...