Why become a member? ×

Fender, Eden or peavey

mountainsnow

Hi basschat community!

I need a cab for my 500 watt hybrid ha5500c head!

My goal is to play through 2 210s or 2 115s bass cabs (because less heavy and cumbersome as a 410)

I start with buying a 210 or 115 cab in the internet and i have no idea how my hartke would sound through one of those cabs. i played the whole fender rumble series but with rumble amps and not hartkes.

i have never played on peavey or eden. but heard good reviews about them.

I play in a DeathMetal band and i play fingerstyle on a eflat tuned four string. just clean sound no fuzz, no pedalss.. but im looking for a concrete tone that penetrates the mix

i visited all relevant guitar shops in a huge region and played soo many different amps and cabs and combos and whatnot (without my ha amp) to get an idea of the brands out there.

what do you think which cabs out of my contenders are suited for my style?

peavey headliner 210

eden ex115

eden ex 210

fender rumble 115 v3

fender rumble 210?

imagine them double but i first just buy one cab to pair and hear if it works out.

I tend to buy the eden 115 since the specs are promising and the sturdy build. but then again the peavey has enough freq range for me and could be punchier. fender has no metal grills so a bit risky in my environment.

what cab would you choose for meat and potatos bass playing? 

maybe some of you could share real life experience with those cabs!

thx

I'd personally go with the Fender Rumble 2x10. Although I have no experience of the others. But I've played through the Fender. They're lightweight, powerful, built like tanks, and in my experience just sit at that sweet spot in the mix where they cut through nicely, even without excessive volume. 

My two penn'orth for what it's worth. 

yess the vertical array is my goal too!! 

louder and better to transport than a ankle blaster a la 410 cube!

fender rumble 210, i only played the stage800! impressive sound!

however from reading around it seems the peaveys are usually the loudest. i dont know if the rumble is loud enough. 

although he rated 300 w vs peavey 200 watt rms

2 hours ago, mountainsnow said:

yess the vertical array is my goal too!! 

louder and better to transport than a ankle blaster a la 410 cube!

fender rumble 210, i only played the stage800! impressive sound!

however from reading around it seems the peaveys are usually the loudest. i dont know if the rumble is loud enough. 

although he rated 300 w vs peavey 200 watt rms

Watts don't always equal "loudness". 

You only have to play through an old Trace Elliot rig to figure that one out. 

200w of Trace can bring a building down. 😂

Pedant hat on: Watts *does* translate to loudness. It's just that Trace's power rating is a tad more conservative than that of Brand X, which usually has as much do do with the marketing department than the engineers. 

Pedant hat off: he's right though, treat power ratings with scepticism and bear in mind that 200W is only 3dB louder than 100. 

11 minutes ago, bremen said:

Pedant hat on: Watts *does* translate to loudness. It's just that Trace's power rating is a tad more conservative than that of Brand X, which usually has as much do do with the marketing department than the engineers. 

Pedant hat off: he's right though, treat power ratings with scepticism and bear in mind that 200W is only 3dB louder than 100. 

Ok. Pedant Harry doffed in return. 

Watts are an electrical measurement where you multiply the current with the voltage to get the power consumed, i.e. watts. It is simply an indicator of power and cannot be used to describe how loud a speaker is actually going to be.

:hi:

Hat still firmly in place: For a given speaker, power does equate to loudness. A speaker's efficiency is measured in dB per watt. 

That dB/W rating varies from speaker to speaker of course, so 10W through an efficient speaker can be as loud as 100 through a subwoofer with a heavy cone. 

To be clear, I'm talking about the watts the amp delivers into the speaker, not the amount of power it draws from the mains. A mosfet based class AB Trace, for example, is a lot less efficient than a modern class D so the power rating on the IEC inlet isn't an indication of its ability to be loud. 

Edited by bremen
  • Like 1

Used is the way to go. The only proviso being; can you source a second matching cab?

I ducked this issue by buying a single 4 Ohm cab (second hand, naturally!)with a more than adequate power handling (1kw)

No, it doesn't have the height advantage of 2x2x10 in a vertical array, but it's more than enough. 

Have a look through the classifieds on here,  there's always plenty of choice,  and if you're feeling strong, the old-school cabinets can be had at silly prices. 

On 07/11/2023 at 02:26, bremen said:

Your pedant hat has a big hole in its crown letting in the rain. Watts only translates to loudness via sensitivity response and impedance. Power handling before compression blows your hat off.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 20:45, mountainsnow said:

I play in a DeathMetal band and i play fingerstyle on a eflat tuned four string. just clean sound no fuzz, no pedalss.. but im looking for a concrete tone that penetrates the mix

I'd look at 2x12 instead of a 15 incher or it would have to be a very impressive make to keep from going muddy in those conditions.

I played an old Peavey tvx 410 for a while that was very impressive, tighter than it's ampeg counterpart. No clue how that translates to the current cabs.

On 30/10/2023 at 08:45, mountainsnow said:

You might be surprised how just a little bit of overdrive in your sound can do wonders for intelligibility. In the mix it still sounds clean.

Regards cabinets. Quality wins. A big pile of blech won't sound like you want. It will just be a big rumble under the guitars.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well thx for all the Answears so far!

Would the hartke tx300 amp 4 ohm do well with two eden ex 210 8ohm? that would be like 150 watts from the amp into each cab as far i know. the edens are capabale of 300 watts rms handling.

i would like to try that setup but its just no available in my region. its also 900 euros in total (each product 300 euro new). havent found anything on the used market.

the aim is a 410 configuration through 2 210s.

On 17/03/2024 at 12:06, mountainsnow said:

Would the hartke tx300 amp 4 ohm do well with two eden ex 210 8ohm? that would be like 150 watts from the amp into each cab as far i know. the edens are capabale of 300 watts rms handling.

i would like to try that setup but its just no available in my region. its also 900 euros in total (each product 300 euro new). havent found anything on the used market.

Are you stepping away from the Hartke 5500? When I'm looking at second hand 210s (mainland Europe area) there seem to be plenty of different Eden's available and they pair great for a punchy, solid and clear sound with Hartke amps.

What region are you in?

On 18/03/2024 at 00:06, mountainsnow said:

I wouldn't trust a 500w RMS rating on a 210 unless it was a very expensive one.

Is how to arrange two 210 cabs. You hear it far better and so does the audience when it's playing to the room.

200w through those Eden cabs should make plenty of noise.

Good luck with your search for some well priced used stuff.

• Like 1

Yes the high stack arranging is really superior to the 410 cube cabs.

i just wonder if i buy eden cabs and a eden 3 300 watt amp what if something gets broken? eden as a company does not exist anymore. it got brought and sold again by marshall. i dont know if the produce anymore. much less about their customer service.

On 19/03/2024 at 07:48, Downunderwonder said:

I wouldn't trust a 500w RMS rating on a 210 unless it was a very expensive one.

Is how to arrange two 210 cabs. You hear it far better and so does the audience when it's playing to the room.

200w through those Eden cabs should make plenty of noise.

Good luck with your search for some well priced used stuff.

Yeah but you don't want eliptical speakers.

O

O

O

O

... would be much better. 🙂

On 25/03/2024 at 10:13, mountainsnow said:

Yes the high stack arranging is really superior to the 410 cube cabs.

i just wonder if i buy eden cabs and a eden 3 300 watt amp what if something gets broken? eden as a company does not exist anymore. it got brought and sold again by marshall. i dont know if the produce anymore. much less about their customer service.

I'd pass on the amp. It's not going to give you anything that Hartke won't.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also thinking about going from my original 410 Trace cab (sounds great, heavier than the sun) to a pair of 210's. I would love to be able to go somewhere to compare tone. I tend to always find bands with loud guitar players to dep with, so I need the Trace head to not get buried. 

Leaning toward the Fender 210's...seem the best lightweight value for money. 

I’d highly recommend the Rumble 210 cab. It’s actually great. I bought one as an extension to my R800 combo, and yeah, it’s a genuinely solid cab. Great build and look, excellent handles, decent tweeter and deep, loud and clear. Good with a low B, good with effects. 
I got mine about a month ago and there weren’t any more available in Europe for a while. Though, there’s a couple on here for £250ish, which if you’re local too, I’d suggest can’t be beaten for that money.