Why become a member? ×

Do you find your playing limited by your tastes?

Barking Spiders

Your time here should have exposed you to the fact that not everyone plays music to satisfy a creative urge. I'd say most posters like playing someone else's music. It brings them joy. There's no need to get pissy and rattle your artistic sabre at them. I've no interest in playing covers, be they artistic expressions in my bedroom or straight down the line in a pub. I recognise that many do, however. So what if they do?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Your time here should have exposed you to the fact that not everyone plays music to satisfy a creative urge. I'd say most posters like playing someone else's music. It brings them joy. There's no need to get pissy and rattle your artistic sabre at them. I've no interest in playing covers, be they artistic expressions in my bedroom or straight down the line in a pub. I recognise that many do, however. So what if they do?

It's not an urge, not anymore than staying alive is an urge, it's the language of the soul, the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of, and it's tragic and sad to see it reduced to merely cheap background entertainment.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Being close '1:1' is next to impossible for most pub/club bands

Unless they are sequenced, it is pretty well impossible for most original bands too

9 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am not sure that recipe would have given quite the same success to Johny Cash's "American Recordings" series of albums.

Also, not being Johnny Cash would have caused exactly the same lack of success.

35 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That's just tragic and sad. 

Why then play music at all?

Ask an orchestra, they seem to like it. And the art of playing things, the fun of playing things and playing live motivates a lot of people more than coming up with something new. Some people prefer playing music to a 100 people who are all dancing and having a good time rather than their mum saying 'thats nice dear'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Unless they are sequenced, it is pretty well impossible for most original bands too

Also, not being Johnny Cash would have caused exactly the same lack of success.

Ask an orchestra, they seem to like it. And the art of playing things, the fun of playing things and playing live motivates a lot of people more than coming up with something new. Some people prefer playing music to a 100 people who are all dancing and having a good time rather than their mum saying 'thats nice dear'.

My mum is dead.

She died of cancer a few years back.

But judging from the amount of plays my music get on YouTube there's luckily a few more people who's souls resonate with mine's output.

Beethoven

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It's not an urge, not anymore than staying alive is an urge, it's the language of the soul, the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of, and it's tragic and sad to see it reduced to merely cheap background entertainment.

Yes, and there's Solzhenitsyn and Dan Brown, Kubrick and Bay, The New Yorker and Take A Break!, Stargate SG-1 and Deep Space Nine, and so on...

It's all art, it's all creative, you just need to know how to look at it.

6 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

My mum is dead.

She died of cancer a few years back.

Pretty crass thing to say.  He wasn't talking about 'your' mum, it was a figurative term of speech.  A lot of people on this forum aren't going to have mums for various reasons yet you have to try to weaponise it.  For a man with a history of low scoring posts I do believe you have set the bar even lower.  Well done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Beethoven

Yes, and there's Solzhenitsyn and Dan Brown, Kubrick and Bay, The New Yorker and Take A Break!, Stargate SG-1 and Deep Space Nine, and so on...

It's all art, it's all creative, you just need to know how to look at it.

Take A Break is the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of, and the language of the soul?

I play in two bands.  The first is an original music band and that tends to take the style in whatever direction we find works for the song in question.

The second is a covers band with a female singer.  As the band grandad some of the songs we play are not really on my radar nor the kind of thing I would ordinarily listen to, but that's fine.  I get to learn different  tunes and I feel I benefit from that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The New Yorker is the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of, and the language of the soul?

I'm sure it stands as a suitable opposite to 'Take A Break !'

I'm glad you don't find issue with my fourth example though - you're obviously a man of some taste ;)

Edited by ahpook

20 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

..judging from the amount of plays my music get on YouTube there's luckily a few more people who's souls resonate with mine's output.

Maybe you should spend more time over there then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

I'm sure it stands as a suitable opposite to 'Take A Break !'

I'm glad you don't find issue with my fourth example though - you're obviously a man of some taste ;)

Look at my post again, and see when it was edited last compared to when your post was posted and edited.

Though I guess The New Yorker hardly is the language of the soul or the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of either, or any of the other examples for the matter.

I guess the former examples can be argued, but I'd still argue that of all art forms music is the one that lives up to this description the best, and neuroscience seems to support this, as it is one activity, both intensive listening and playing, together with deep meditation, that activates most of our brain simultaneously. 

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

@Baloney Balderdash Hmm; you seem to find my comment amusing, or 'funny'. Hmm. I find it sad, along with your reaction. We are not of the same Planet, methinks. :(

I am however not the only one appreciating dark humor on this planet, that your post was not intended as such is impossible to tell from what you posted.

I do agree with it definitely also being sad and tragic, but as far as I am concerned that doesn't make it unfit to joke about, rather quite on the contrary. 

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Look at my post again, and see when it was edited last compared to when your post was posted and edited.

Though I guess The New Yorker hardly is the language of the soul or the most advanced form of communication we humans are capable of either, or any of the other examples for the matter.

I guess the former examples can be argued, but I'd still argue that of all art forms music is the one that lives up to this description the most, and neuroscience seems to support this, as it is one activity, both intensive listening and playing, together with deep meditation, that activates most of our brain simultaneously. 

You missed my point, but I can't be bothered.

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am however not the only one appreciating dark humor on this planet, that your post was not intended as such is impossible to tell from what you posted.

There are clues in the 'smilies' that I choose to add, as expression of my sentiments. :(

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

There are clues in the 'smilies' that I choose to add, as expression of my sentiments. :(

As I I later edited into the comment you quote:

I do agree with it definitely also being sad and tragic, but as far as I am concerned that doesn't make it unfit to joke about, rather quite on the contrary. 

That's exactly one of the reasons we got humor. 

Also this was the emoji you used, as I interpret it that that is not sad, it's a crooked smile/smirk, in this context to me indicating that it is something said jokingly profound:

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, that's called The Army. There's a lot of it about. -_-

9 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I'd still argue that of all art forms music is the one that lives up to this description the most, and neuroscience seems to support this, as it is one activity, both intensive listening and playing, together with deep meditation, that activates most of our brain simultaneously. 

Exactly.... and that includes playing covers in a pub or an orchestra playing the work of a legendary composer. I'm glad you're finally in agreement with us....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

...That's exactly one of the reasons we got humor. 

Maybe a Good Reason for lightening up with your condemnation of those playing music for other than artistic reasons, then..? There is (much...) more to Life than art. B|

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe a Good Reason for lightening up with your condemnation of those playing music for other than artistic reasons, then..? There is (much...) more to Life than art. B|

How about you take your own advice then too?

And please look at the most recent edit I did to that post you quoted (And, yes, I am perfectly aware I got a bad habit with pressing the "Send" button before I have actually made perfectly sure that I also said exactly what I wanted to say and in the way I wanted to say it. Blame my ADHD. It's not an excuse, but it does explain it).

Just for (general...) information, my use of the smilie '-_-' implies, usually, cynicism, or sometimes condescension, depending on context. My use of ':|' is usually 'tongue in cheek', or poker face, again, depending on context. I also use the 'Gold Cup' in the 'Like' list to indicate my approval, as in 'Well done, champ'., rather than its standard 'Thanks' label; for that I'd prefer ':hi:'. I'm not sure that there is a 'smirk' smilie, and can't think of any occasion I'd need one. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353

36 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Just for (general...) information, my use of the smilie '-_-' implies, usually, cynicism, or sometimes condescension, depending on context. My use of ':|' is usually 'tongue in cheek', or poker face, again, depending on context. I also use the 'Gold Cup' in the 'Like' list to indicate my approval, as in 'Well done, champ'., rather than its standard 'Thanks' label; for that I'd prefer ':hi:'. I'm not sure that there is a 'smirk' smilie, and can't think of any occasion I'd need one. :rWNVV2D:

Try looking closely on the expression of the smilies and what they actually do, then try to copy that expression on your own face and take a look in the mirror.

I am genuinely not saying this to be a jerk, I just assume that I can't be the only one who find your use/interpretation of smilies counter intuitive to what they actually visually seem to express, and therefor potentially misunderstands your intention with what you write.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Try looking closely to what the expression on the smilys and what they actually do, then try to copy that expression on your own face and take a look in the mirror.

I am not saying this to be a jerk, I just think that I can't be the only one who find your use/interpretation of smilys counter intuitive to what they actually visually expresses and therefor misunderstands your intention with what you write.

Tough; t'is what t'is. Hence my 'explanation'. :rWNVV2D: