Why become a member? ×

Tonerider P Bass pups

Pow_22

Just wanted to post my thoughts on these after acquiring a set from old slapper of this parish.

They were bought to replace what i assume are the original pickups in my 1985 Japanese 57 reissue bass.  Nothing particularly wrong with the originals but they were just a bit...dunno - boring/bland.  I was maybe looking for a little more growl or complexity in the mids but didnt want to sacrifice any low end.  They arrived this morning and i soldered them in and fired up my ABM.....

SWEET BABY JESUS AND THE ORPHANS!?!?!?!?!  There is more of EVRYTHING and they sound positively HUGE.  Certainly louder than the old ones but also a real beef or weight to the sound.  Definitely of the vintage vibe (which obviously my flatwounds will help with) but just a glorious roar of a sound with no shrillness or thinness to it.  Very impressed seeing the price they go for!  Cant wait to try them out in a live setting with the band

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Yes, aren't they good!  To me they sound almost exactly like the Fender Custom Shop '62 model. 

Yup, I used Toneriders in my backup basses to my US Fender Precisions that had CS62s in, very little difference between them.

• Like 2

I have them in my P bass, I adore them. I must say though I think there is always a trade off. Brighter pickups that are wound a bit less can have a different charm and even a bit more clarity than the Tonerider IMO. Still, I am well set on my Tonerider

Got a P bass project recently with some Toneriders in. Sounded huge. I fitted a new guard and then no sound? I thought  I’d disturbed something in the wiring so I tested it and nothing, I wondered if I’d nicked the pup wires whilst reseating the pups after shielding the cavity but no. Tried different pups straight onto the existing wiring  and they work. Tried the Toneriders again and they are dead? I still quite don’t believe it.

I don’t know what happened but I’ve killed them. I can’t ever remember having a pick-up die on me before?

Edited by itsmedunc

I am thinking since people say these Tonerider P pickups sound very similar to the Fender Custom Shop '62 P, how do they compare to the EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, which is basically a clone of the original Fender P pickup from Bobby Vega's 1960 P Bass (apart from modern upgrades such as being shielded internally and having shielded solderless wiring)?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 24/10/2023 at 07:44, itsmedunc said:

Got a P bass project recently with some Toneriders in. Sounded huge. I fitted a new guard and then no sound? I thought  I’d disturbed something in the wiring so I tested it and nothing, I wondered if I’d nicked the pup wires whilst reseating the pups after shielding the cavity but no. Tried different pups straight onto the existing wiring  and they work. Tried the Toneriders again and they are dead? I still quite don’t believe it.

I don’t know what happened but I’ve killed them. I can’t ever remember having a pick-up die on me before?

contact tonerider, I hear they have very good customer service

• Thanks 1