Why become a member? ×

Demeter, Diamond, EBS multicomp or BBE optostomp

stevieb85

right, ive made a thread and read every thread on compressors, there has been lots of options but the same 4 seen to pop up most of the time...so can you guys post which of the listed compressors would be your choice so i can tally up

Demeter Compulator
Diamond Compressor
EBS Multicomp
BBE Optostomp

really think we should do some kind of Poll type posts for each effect where everyone votes for their top pedals, best compressor, best chorus etc etc just as a quick reference to see what the majority are using...

i was looking at getting a bass chorus but had no idea what to start looking at so i waded through tons of post on here. would be good to have something in the pinned posts bit at the top.

anyways.... in terms of a compressor my vote goes for EBS multicomp, its perfic and i never turn it off

[quote name='kingforaday' post='482772' date='May 8 2009, 10:35 AM']really think we should do some kind of Poll type posts for each effect where everyone votes for their top pedals, best compressor, best chorus etc etc just as a quick reference to see what the majority are using...[/quote]

You need two polls IMO - one to let people say what they ARE using currently, and one to say what they reckon is the best.

I suspect plenty of peeps would just love a Demeter Compulator, but at nearly £200 they're not likely to buy one.

Admittedly my first compressor was a DOD milkbox (which was a noisy piece of crap) but I then moved on to the Aphex Punch Factory, which was ok, very transparent, good for the price. I now use a Demeter Compulator (not alot though, I don't find myself using compression live) and couldn'y want anything more from a compressor. Compressor GAS has been vanquished for me!!

Trouble is, you're not going to find many people who have played more than one or two out of that list. I've only used the EBS and Diamond so it wouldn't fair for me to comment on the BBE and Demeter!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='stevieb85' post='482749' date='May 8 2009, 10:10 AM']right, ive made a thread and read every thread on compressors, there has been lots of options but the same 4 seen to pop up most of the time...so can you guys post which of the listed compressors would be your choice so i can tally up

Demeter Compulator
Diamond Compressor
EBS Multicomp
BBE Optostomp[/quote]

Hope I'm not joining the thread too late for the big tally-up.....

Tried them all and owned the EBS, Demeter and BBE.

IMHO, EBS wins, followed by Demeter.

Another worthy contender is the Aphex Punch Factory. Looks a bit cheesy but does the job very nicely - and subtly - and an excellent price.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well peeps,
I've had the Aphex Punch factory, which had horrible colouration, and was also mechanically unreliable, I tried an EBS in a shop against the Aphex at the time and was not impressed with the sound, and the fact it was so plastic-y and much less than sturdy (though I've since read that they've re-released them in metal cases now, and changed the circuitry to enhance the headroom/sound, though, well, see below), I've used/tried the Boss (Bass and normal) Compressor pedal, as well as the Digitech Bass Squeeze, I worked in the Distributors for BBE for a while and did not feel like buying that one. In the instances of re-trying the EBS and not wanting the BBE, as well as never having found a Diamond to try, I had a pedal recommended to me by a good friend whose word I trust implicitly: Mr Pete Cornish.
He told me that he thought the Demeter Compulator was a fantastic sounding (and simple to use) compressor pedal, adding that one of his Clients (a certain D. Gilmour) noted that it worked so well without changing his tone AT ALL! Now I know Mr Gilmour is not rated as a bassist (though to some he is God on guitar) but having had a preamp recommended to me by Pete Cornish, after he had been working on Mr Gilmour's Alembic F2B units (try this or the bass-specific Alembic F1X), and finding it to be utterly INCREDIBLE, I thought I would take notice of such recommendations and try, and ended up buying, the Demeter Compulator.
After using it for approx the last 5 years (and occasionally trying other units because they were around), I have to say that in my experience none of the rest really rate comparison with it. I know some of you will disagree but we all probably go for something different tonally and compression-wise. For one thing, I only use passive basses: Fenders, Gibsons and Fender style 5-Strings (with custom made '51 and Split P-style and J-style pickups from S. Duncan and K. Armstrong).
The Demeter Compulator can do extreme squashed or beautifully natural (if that makes sense!?) sounding compression; I use it live for my slap sound and for controlling lunatic-output dynamic pedals (such as my Mutron III) but I've used it to record my Guitars and Fender Rhodes (for pretty much everything anyone could ever need from compression).
I have to revamp my Guitar pedalboard (I need to be able to use both Guitar and Bass pedal boards on some gigs) and need a compressor which I'll be buying later today when the shops open, and will be basing my purchase on my personal experiences with all of the compressors I've tried: I'll be buying another Demeter Compulator!!!!
Keep holding the band together guys,
deathpig1

[quote name='stevieb85' post='489116' date='May 15 2009, 05:34 PM']im tempted to go for the bbe, mainly because of the price? for you folks that have one, does it have a problem with buzzing, as i have an ashdown compressor and its bloody noisy[/quote]

The one I had didn't buzz, it just sounded horrible. Very, very coloured. Save up and buy used.

[quote name='Higgie' post='482795' date='May 8 2009, 10:58 AM']Admittedly my first compressor was a DOD milkbox (which was a noisy piece of crap) but I then moved on to the Aphex Punch Factory, which was ok, very transparent, good for the price. I now use a Demeter Compulator (not alot though, I don't find myself using compression live) and couldn'y want anything more from a compressor. Compressor GAS has been vanquished for me!![/quote]

Just as a follow up to this, I sold the Demeter as I didn't find myself using Compression, but decided to try out the Aguilar TLC - The thing is now on constantly! It's 4 knobs give it a lot of control for a pedal compressor and they interact really well with eachother, making it a pretty straight forward and awesome sounding unit. I love it!

[quote name='Higgie' post='918011' date='Aug 7 2010, 02:44 PM']Just as a follow up to this, I sold the Demeter as I didn't find myself using Compression, but decided to try out the Aguilar TLC - The thing is now on constantly! It's 4 knobs give it a lot of control for a pedal compressor and they interact really well with eachother, making it a pretty straight forward and awesome sounding unit. I love it![/quote]

I think that when people who try a compressor find they don't use it so much, it's down to the actual compressor that they try. Some really, really colour the sound and have a very 'squishy' effect on the sound.

When you try a really good and really uncoloured compressor then you'll end up using it a lot more. The Rothwell Love Squeeze which isn't on your list is an excellent one. You truly don't notice it, until you switch it off and then you want to switch it back on.

I'll +1 for the MultiComp - It's brilliant. However, I have to say the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics trumps it - and can be bought new, cheaper. I have both and use the TC in my big rig - and throw the Multicomp in my bass bag pocket for jamming, should I need it.

I really have to bring the Rothwell Love Squeeze to the table as well. I have tried the EBS MultiComp properly and owned a dbx 163x, plus when shopping for other compressors I listened to quite a few different models extremely thoroughly inc. the T-Rex Compnova.

I think one of the best ways to sum up the Love Squeeze is the ultimate compressor for the person that normally doesn't like compressors :) the only thing some people may not like is the fact that it's a bit too subtle for some players. I would actually really highly recommend giving the T-Rex Compnova a try as from what I've heard it sounds like it's a compressor really full of potential.

The Diamond compressor actually sounds really nice as well! It's a shame they're not more widely available.

Hi,

Depends on the Bass. Had an Ibanez and bought an EBS multicomp. Despite the Bass being active, the multicomp didnt do much, then updated to a passive Fender Jazz and I am now in love with the multicomp. If you adjust the internal trim pot, which is a doddle, you can go from subtle to very fierce compression. Previously had Boss LMB's, OK but very noisy, I find the EBS silent. Mine came from the Bass Centre [url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-effects/ebs-multi-comp.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/bass-effects/ebs-multi-comp.html[/url], £125.