Why become a member? ×

Demeter, Diamond, EBS multicomp or BBE optostomp

stevieb85

[quote name='dood' post='918103' date='Aug 7 2010, 04:28 PM']I'll +1 for the MultiComp - It's brilliant. However, I have to say the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics trumps it - and can be bought new, cheaper. I have both and use the TC in my big rig - and throw the Multicomp in my bass bag pocket for jamming, should I need it.[/quote]

You were glowing about the TC C300 some time ago (I am not stalking you). How does the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics compare?

Compressors ar such an individual thing that it's realy hard to offer any objective advice.

The Trace Elliott SMX gets a lot of love on Basschat, but when I had one I was completely underwhelmed. The Monte Allums modded Boss CS3 also gets a lot of love, and I certainly loved mine for a couple of months after which it started to sound too "obvious" to me.

The problem with 90% (or more) of stomp box comps is that they don't offer any control over some of the parameters. I've come to the conclusion that rack is the way to go unless you know which stomp box is right for you :)

I had a Multicomp before when I was a n00b with compression and did not have a clue... I sold it. Then I tried a handful of Orange Squeezer clones that were far too "squishy" and I wasn't keen on the noticable volume swells. Then I tried the Multicomp again and realised how stupid I was for getting rid of my first one. I adore the dual-band setting, and the tube-sim mode is nice to add a subtle warmth when going through a cheap, passive D.I. live.

Another vote for the Multicomp here!

[quote name='owen' post='921963' date='Aug 11 2010, 08:11 PM']You were glowing about the TC C300 some time ago (I am not stalking you). How does the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics compare?[/quote]

I reckon they are both brilliant!! The C300 obviously has a lot more on it; Everything that the Nova has and the inclusion of source specific programs etc, which makes it the best compressor I have ever used for extended range bass. The Nova Dynamics is obviously a cut down version, but still has two triple band compressors or two full range compressors, or two noisegates -or indeed any two 'blocks' together. Again, the addition of Parallel compression that you do not find on a lot of compressors, including the Multicomp makes it fantastic for bass if you want to even your signal out but still have control over your dynamics.

I'd prefer the C300 for attention to detail, but the Nova is great because it's a pedal and you can sling it in a gig bag for studio compression anywhere. I'm a big fan of TC, they are bringing out some great quality products.

I'm in the market for a decent compressor - haven't been using one for a couple of years but after changing my rig recently, I feel that I need one again to even things up a bit.

I've had a TC Comp Nova, Demeter Copulator and owned 2 Multicomps - they all did the job beautifully. Like you Dan, I quite like the look / spec of the TC Nova Dynamics one but it looks a bit complex for an old fart like me and got a bit of a mixed review on TB (Bongomania)

I quite fancy one of these new Markbass jobbies but they ain't cheap.

OK - just spoken to Mark at Bass Direct and he said that the TC Nova Dynamics was the best compressor he had in the shop (hopefully that wasn't code for the 'only' compressor he had in the shop) so I ordered one. Should be here on Friday - will update with my thoughts at the weekend if anyone's remotely interested.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='933080' date='Aug 22 2010, 09:06 PM']...I've had a TC Comp Nova, [b]Demeter [u]Copulator[/u][/b] and owned 2 Multicomps - they all did the job beautifully...[/quote]

Now that sounds an interesting pedal...!!!

Just had a twiddle with my new TC Electronics Nova Dynamics through my rig and I'm very impressed. It looks a bit complicated but it isn't really - it's very smooth, very clean and transparent and extremely versatile.

I decided not to go for the Markbass Compressore so I was kinda torn between this and buying my third Multicomp but in the end, I followed Mark at Bass Direct's advice and so far I'm glad I did.

I think Dood's right, my initial impression is that it [i]is[/i] better than the Multicomp but I'm going to have to wait two weeks to try it with the band because that's the real test innit.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='939011' date='Aug 28 2010, 08:21 PM']Just had a twiddle with my new TC Electronics Nova Dynamics through my rig and I'm very impressed. It looks a bit complicated but it isn't really - it's very smooth, very clean and transparent and extremely versatile.

I decided not to go for the Markbass Compressore so I was kinda torn between this and buying my third Multicomp but in the end, I followed Mark at Bass Direct's advice and so far I'm glad I did.

I think Dood's right, my initial impression is that it [i]is[/i] better than the Multicomp but I'm going to have to wait two weeks to try it with the band because that's the real test innit.[/quote]

Hey buddy! - I'm glad you grabbed one for a workin' over! - I do agree with you - on the face of it - the Nove *does* look complicated with it's lovely buttons, knobs and flashing lights, but in reality it's just one pedal doubled up - so you only really have to learn what half the controls are!

A little bit of tweaking will be required - but I found that as soon as I found the bit in the manual about sorting the input level (cos my basses have a red hot output) I was able to tame things pretty quickly.

I bet it will sound amazing through the Accugroove cab!! - I'd like to hear how you get on with the rig!

• 3 weeks later...