Why become a member? ×

Anyone else just ready to give up?

AndyTravis

I've had a few periods of doing buggerall but never thought of giving up. Currently with a covers band which is aiming to do somewhere round 20-30 gigs a year, and playing at an open mic (both guitar and bass). The two key things that define me are music (primarily bass) and motorcycles, and I've had lulls in both but never given either up.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've had a few periods of doing buggerall but never thought of giving up. Currently with a covers band which is aiming to do somewhere round 20-30 gigs a year, and playing at an open mic (both guitar and bass). The two key things that define me are music (primarily bass) and motorcycles, and I've had lulls in both but never given either up.

Mine is music (primarily bass) and cars. My wife says my basses are my wives and cars are my mistresses as I constantly flick between them. 

• Like 1

Well…

got a full inbox off that of which 4 different replies where there’s interesting stuff I’ll record bass over and see how I feel.

I’ve got a week off work, so it’ll keep me busy, and off the ale - that’s a new thing, massive reduction in booze. Possibly explains changeable moods.

I appreciate all the comments and perspectives.

The wife is also supportive “you can’t not play Trav, that’s part of who you are”

etc. which is nice.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Spurred on by this thread…

that “thing with old strings” I recorded

https://on.soundcloud.com/CaawHCXeeB1A2gmN7

for the curious..

and

IMG_5258.thumb.jpeg.ab84d7a08be5833d01f2753cf64bb285.jpeg

seems I want to give something a go

Saw that and on JMB and wondered if it was you. Good luck fella.

I'm on the hunt for a new gig as my current one is coming to an end, so I've probably had the same messages as you. I've been spoiled with this band and had forgotten how hard it is to find others who are on the same page musically and commitment level wise. 

How picky do you get with this? I'm not sure if I'm turning down decent opportunities waiting for a great one and will end up with nothing. Hmmm......

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Clarky said:

^^^^ my latest band (goth/post punk) has been a breath of fresh air after playing blues rock/Americana (mainly), hiphop/funk and cowpunk in last five years

Good to know.

going to dust off the fretless too - be foolish to go in with something comfortable…

🥴😂

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 2

Well, all my basses are now away.  We've got friends coming over tonight and my wife just went, 'Can you get all this stuff out of the hallway?' 

Seemed as good as time as any.  I spent a bit of time doing a bit of sorting out, giving them a little clean, making sure each case contained the correct strap, a headstock tuner, a couple of spare picks and closed each case.

I suppose, that's going to be it for the time being.  

• Sad 6

24 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Well, all my basses are now away.  We've got friends coming over tonight and my wife just went, 'Can you get all this stuff out of the hallway?' 

Seemed as good as time as any.  I spent a bit of time doing a bit of sorting out, giving them a little clean, making sure each case contained the correct strap, a headstock tuner, a couple of spare picks and closed each case.

I suppose, that's going to be it for the time being.  

well, I’m going to wait for the bass less versions of some tracks to come over.

this is another thing I don’t miss - waiting.

my in-built impatience and expectation for others to be the same.

I know that’s my flaw.

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

well, I’m going to wait for the bass less versions of some tracks to come over.

this is another thing I don’t miss - waiting.

my in-built impatience and expectation for others to be the same.

I know that’s my flaw.

I was with the last band for nearly a year.  Just sick of rotating the same dozen songs, the vetoing of new material, not jamming etc. Suppose this is what it must be if you're just a backing musician.

Interestingly, the singer has lost his whole band in the last ten weeks.  This probably says a lot for what we were sold Vs the actual reality.

• Like 3

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

I was with the last band for nearly a year.  Just sick of rotating the same dozen songs, the vetoing of new material, not jamming etc. Suppose this is what it must be if you're just a backing musician.

Interestingly, the singer has lost his whole band in the last ten weeks.  This probably says a lot for what we were sold Vs the actual reality.

The death of the last band was the singer.

Lovely bloke, but a pain in the ar$e to work with. 

Myself and the drummer walked on the same day…speaks volumes.

Maybe we were a bit precious in the end - no matter, what’s done is done.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

The death of the last band was the singer.

Lovely bloke, but a pain in the ar$e to work with. 

Myself and the drummer walked on the same day…speaks volumes.

Maybe we were a bit precious in the end - no matter, what’s done is done.

Me and the drummer left about a day apart.  The prospect of going through the whole process of having a new drummer and relearning the same 12 songs with him (or her) was a prospect I just couldn't face.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Had a very good chat with the guys in the new band. We had an offer of a gig pretty soon and spent an hour of rehearsal regurgitate 20 odd songs we all knew, just to do the gig. Then one of guys asked why we are doing all the same stuff again? A decision was made that we continue with our ideal setlist and not do a gig until we’re ready for it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Had a very good chat with the guys in the new band. We had an offer of a gig pretty soon and spent an hour of rehearsal regurgitate 20 odd songs we all knew, just to do the gig. Then one of guys asked why we are doing all the same stuff again? A decision was made that we continue with our ideal setlist and not do a gig until we’re ready for it. 

I was given all the tracks nearly a year ago.  Like a good little worker bee, I learnt everything.  Never really felt the line up was particularly cohesive; never felt that the three musicians had a voice on equal to the singer.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I was given all the tracks nearly a year ago.  Like a good little worker bee, I learnt everything.  Never really felt the line up was particularly cohesive; never felt that the three musicians had a voice on equal to the singer.

Doesn’t sound like a ‘band’.

Done 2 little demos over the Echo And The Bunnymen meets Pink Floyd outfit.

enjoyed that…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o-axbSv64PgxJuQvGh5roxdI4wA_3BvL/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmezlX187jyGrJWH_lRRJXWbsbvb4gKM/view?usp=drivesdk

First one fretless, lots of nods to Guy Pratt - got strong later floyd vibes.

And the second was the BB614 with a pick.

• Like 4

As a child I was obsessed with bass but  didn't know it, at the time but I used to turn my stereo speakers upside down and put my ear on it for that pumping sound which was the bass..  I then discovered if I play my records faster speed the bass line pops out..at 12 I got a violin bass I didn't learn untill I was 17.  I gigged in bands from 18 till 40 odd. I now teach kids with special needs musical workshop. I haven't gigged for years but !!!! November 3rd this. Year  Am gigging again at the age of 58 in a function with some guys I know who are in their late 60s. Ha ha I feel like the kid in the band.... Now days I do a lot of recording writing songs. .... Just hang in their buddy. It comes back when ya don't expect it 

Edited by Tony macker
  • Like 7