Why become a member? ×

Why is is so hard to find a decent graphite neck?

roonjuice

People who have them tend to keep them so you need to be quick when they do come up for sale. I’ve bought two on BC this year, and sold one of them as it was too thin (Status fretted Jazz). A couple more have been up for sale also 👍

• Like 1

Also keep an eye open for basses with a graphite neck that you could remove and sell the loaded body on, usually Status (you probably wouldn't want to break up a Modulus and Moses necks are not highly rated). IIRC there was a Stingray up for sale a while back and the seller hadn't even mention the (perhaps obvious) fact that it was equipped with a Status neck  

Check out KLOS. They've recently introduced separate graphite guitar necks, and I expect bass necks will be next on the list. They're made in China, with final assembly and QC in the USA. Their Apollo basses have been getting great reviews so far. 

And @Beedster's advice is great! Sometimes basses with Status Jazz or Stingray necks do pop up used.

Edited by LeftyJ

Klos are currently taking pre-orders for Fender replacement necks:

https://klosguitars.com/products/carbon-fiber-bass-neck-and-pickguard-upgrade-50-deposit

I've ordered one, so I'll happily report back when it arrives in a couple of months. I took the plunge based on the positive reviews of their basses and their replacement guitar necks. Also, their customers service has been very good thus far, fast email response to any questions.

38 minutes ago, castlemaine22 said:

https://klosguitars.com/products/carbon-fiber-bass-neck-and-pickguard-upgrade-50-deposit

I've ordered one, so I'll happily report back when it arrives in a couple of months. I took the plunge based on the positive reviews of their basses and their replacement guitar necks. Also, their customers service has been very good thus far, fast email response to any questions.

Ouch, that 3+1 headstock does not look good IMO. I was expecting it to look more like the headstock on their Fender guitar replacement neck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, castlemaine22 said:

Close to £500, that's more than Status used to charge, and as above, I don't like the headstock shape

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Close to £500, that's more than Status used to charge, and as above, I don't like the headstock shape

Correction, £420 plus £62 shipping plus around £125 import duty and tax. It's a very expensive neck 

Bassic Status neck was maybe slightly cheaper, but tint and other options raised the price.

Jerry Scheff from MG has built few necks every now and then, and those pop up rarely in Reverb. Steinberger bolt-on instruments may also be a base for a custom bass.

Check Peavey G-bass. Cheap as chips!

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

Well, I'm getting a Klos neck. It was meant to have been delivered in April, but now looks more like November. Which is a pity. I had a chat with Ian about what I wanted as I wanted the nut to be 43mm and I got the feeling that this would create problems. He offered me to put the deposit towards a 24 fret Musicman bass they have in the works. If I hadn't bought the body and whatnot I might have said yes, but as I had already I declined.

So here's the body.

It's a Warmoth G4. Walnut body, Black Korina top. Babicz Bridge, Herrick multicoil pickups and Lusithand pre with Harley Benton knobs. 

As the neck has been so delayed, this has been put together and sitting in my studio for the past 4 months. 

I shall report back when I get the neck.

1696495975727658141844423163114.jpg

Edited by Wolverinebass
  • Like 7

I honestly think there are lots of necks today that can easily compete with graphite necks, which may not have bee the case some time back. I have a couple of Ibanez SRs (Prestige and Premium) with an extraordinarily stiff and consistent neck, for example. It is true that they are not as stiff and consistent as a graphite neck, but, really, thereabouts. (To clarify, I had Status and Modulus necks in the past.)

There are also other options now: for example, I have a friend who uses and Aluminati neck and he couldn't be happier. 

That said, I did buy a Stingray with a Status neck from Basschat recently, and it is by far my favourite Stingray of all time, so there's that too.

Never having played one, I would say the Aluminati necks are grotesquely overpriced. A grand for a neck? Really?!! For that much I'd want to be able to customise loads more stuff. The nut width for one. For those saying the Klos necks are overpriced, being that these are about double that, it'd be a no from me.

Molds cost an arm and a leg and some more. No wonder Status wasn't investing to a one more mold.

I like wide necks, but there are very few 5-string wide ones, and those tend to cost a lot. I did an investment to a Modulus Genesis 5, that I bought from @graham1945. I used it three hours ago in a gig, and it is super stable. Wonderful sound, too.

I actually tuned the bass with a Peterson SAM tuner on Wednesday, and it was still in tune after few days and a gig. Excellent performance.

On 08/10/2023 at 02:37, itu said:

Molds cost an arm and a leg and some more. No wonder Status wasn't investing to a one more mold.

I like wide necks, but there are very few 5-string wide ones, and those tend to cost a lot. I did an investment to a Modulus Genesis 5, that I bought from @graham1945. I used it three hours ago in a gig, and it is super stable. Wonderful sound, too.

I actually tuned the bass with a Peterson SAM tuner on Wednesday, and it was still in tune after few days and a gig. Excellent performance.

Yes, I loved that one too Itu, although my wrists can no longer deal with wide necks. Glad you're still enjoying the Genesis. 👍👍

Graham

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sammybass said:

What doesn’t look right to you?

It does not look quite right to me because of the 3+1 headstock, which for some reason is a bit strange to me on a Jazz. But it certainly does not look wrong.

15 minutes ago, biro said:

It does not look quite right to me because of the 3+1 headstock, which for some reason is a bit strange to me on a Jazz. But it certainly does not look wrong.

I totally agree! It’s a weird combination that probably doesn’t really go. It’ll sell to someone who will part it out. I just can’t be arsed 😁