Why become a member? ×

Whitney Houston Live. 1987..

bubinga5

It just illustrates how individual tastes differ. Never a fan of the 'G.O.A.T.' syndrome (it's not a competitive sport...), there are probably over a dozen voices I'd listen to in preference to these ladies, good though they may be. Disclaimer : I'm not enamoured of '70s soul in any case. :|

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

It just illustrates how individual tastes differ. Never a fan of the 'G.O.A.T.' syndrome (it's not a competitive sport...), there are probably over a dozen voices I'd listen to in preference to these ladies, good though they may be. Disclaimer : I'm not enamoured of '70s soul in any case. :|

Yep, so many great voices, Janis Joplin and Grace Slick are two of mine. Too much of the WH thing for me is technical where emotion is what does the job

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Yep, so many great voices, Janis Joplin and Grace Slick are two of mine. Too much of the WH thing for me is technical where emotion is what does the job

Whilst I agree with you, I actually think Whitney had both the technical and emotional fields covered 

pretty well ( especially her earlier stuff), Aretha was probably the only other person who I feel had

a similar talent / gift. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, casapete said:

Whilst I agree with you, I actually think Whitney had both the technical and emotional fields covered 

pretty well ( especially her earlier stuff), Aretha was probably the only other person who I feel had

a similar talent / gift. 

With WH I always heard the technique, Aretha on the other hand was all soul to my ear 👍

• Like 3

I saw her at Wembley Arena around this time.  It wasn't a particularly enthralling gig; it was very low on content and high on padding out.  Every song ending was about five minutes long, with her just going, 'Oooooooohwahwahwahwaaaaaaaaah,' and she bought her mum out for another five minutes of the same.

That said, her voice was incredible.  What a waste.  Just say no, kids.

• Like 2

My fave WH song is her very first one, before she discovered all the vocal gymnastics, Saving All My Love For You.  Before the addicitons kicked in as well, I guess.  As has been said, what a tragic waste - she had everything but was it still wasn't enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Great singer, no doubt.... but the over-emoting she passed on to Mariah Scary and the rest puts me off...

Now, where's my 'Carpenters - Greatest Hits' gone?

I know what you mean, but I always feel it a little unfair that Whitney gets lumped in with Mariah

and all the other trilling warblers that followed, when really she was so much more than that.

As Paul says above, her early stuff in particular was almost void of any of that stuff, and her

tone & ability to be able to control her voice over such a range was truly wonderful

I saw her live in Monaco at the start of her decline and it was both stunning and sad at the same time.

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

I know what you mean, but I always feel it a little unfair that Whitney gets lumped in with Mariah

and all the other trilling warblers that followed, when really she was so much more than that.

As Paul says above, her early stuff in particular was almost void of any of that stuff, and her

tone & ability to be able to control her voice over such a range was truly wonderful

Indeed, I meant the warblings/singing of every note around the one she was going for.... that came later in her career.

• Like 1