Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pick or Fingers … ongoing dilemma!!

BassAdder60

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve found so many of our setlist is really calling for a picked played PBass that’s what I do ! 

Adding the Keeley Bassist and DK Omicron really add something to the overall band sound 

6 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve found so many of our setlist is really calling for a picked played PBass that’s what I do ! 

Maybe I am too tired to decipher this, genuinely not trying to be snarky, but what exactly is this supposed to mean, I fail to make any sense of that sentence whatsoever? 

It's like some words are missing, possibly also some commas, and possibly it really should have been divided into 2 sentences as well, not entirely sure.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Maybe I am too tired to decipher this, genuinely not trying to be snarky, but what exactly is this supposed to mean, I fail to make any sense of that sentence whatsoever? 

It's like some words are missing, possibly also some commas, and possibly it really should have been divided into 2 sentences as well, not entirely sure.

Translation … the bands setlist songs sound best with a PBass played with a pick ! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been almost militantly fingers-only for decades, despite being a fan of some great pick players such as Tony Butler and Chris Squire. A change is being forced upon me for medical reasons, though. I was never the strongest fingerstyle player as it was, no ‘Arry, but I did OK with some Rush songs, for example. MS has affected my plucking fingers and I can’t rely on them to play quickly and consistently any more. 

So I’ve decided to try more pick playing, and getting a Bass VI is part of that. I’ve lowered the action to borderline “too low”, and am starting to develop more speed. I kind-of shocked myself today by playing Hysteria (Muse) on it with a pick, through the Crunch Cab preset in Apple MainStage, and it sounded decent. On my main bass it’s a struggle. 

Re. Picks, so far I’m liking the Harley Benton light ones (0.6-0.9 mm), which have a kind of parchment finish that helps me with grip. I’m dropping them much less than standard picks. I read that players such as Carol Kaye used felt picks, the stuff hats are made of - sounds interesting: 

Edited by bnt
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve found I make more mistakes playing with a pick than playing finger style !

Less physical connection I think is playing a part 

Over the duration of a 3hr gig I notice more errors creeping in using a pick !

Edited by BassAdder60

Coming from guitar (I know - burn the witch!), I was determined to play with my fingers because I wanted to make a complete break from the skinny stringed beast. Decades later, I still predominantly use my fingers, but i have been known to play gigs with a pick just for poops and giggles and always use one if the song demands that tone (anything by The Jam or Yes for instance). I like the attack you get with a pick and in a dense mix it can really help focus the sound. I know a really good sound engineer who prefers a pick played bass for that very reason. Having played guitar (🔥🧙) for so long with a pick, I already had good pick technique, so it’s not a chore on bass at all, the only difference being the type of pick used (I prefer thick on guitar, thinner on bass).

13 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Coming from guitar (I know - burn the witch!), I was determined to play with my fingers because I wanted to make a complete break from the skinny stringed beast. Decades later, I still predominantly use my fingers, but i have been known to play gigs with a pick just for poops and giggles and always use one if the song demands that tone (anything by The Jam or Yes for instance). I like the attack you get with a pick and in a dense mix it can really help focus the sound. I know a really good sound engineer who prefers a pick played bass for that very reason. Having played guitar (🔥🧙) for so long with a pick, I already had good pick technique, so it’s not a chore on bass at all, the only difference being the type of pick used (I prefer thick on guitar, thinner on bass).

I’m also a guitar player and use a thinner standard teardrop size pick.

For bass it’s a thicker pick and mostly a triangle shape larger pick so I don’t drop it 

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread and just changing subject slightly. I know that some of the tracks I play would be better with a pick. I've always played finger style and my technique is decent, but I really feel I've hit my limit with speed - I can play through c major scale in 16ths comfortably till about 95bpm - above that is doable but not as clean as I would like. I know with a pick I could go faster. But I just don't sound as good playing bass lines with a pick. Also with finger style I'm usually muting with my right hand, but you can't do that with a pick (unless your palm muting). How long does it take to master playing with a pick and does anyone have any decent exercises they can recommend?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Resurrecting this thread and just changing subject slightly. I know that some of the tracks I play would be better with a pick. I've always played finger style and my technique is decent, but I really feel I've hit my limit with speed - I can play through c major scale in 16ths comfortably till about 95bpm - above that is doable but not as clean as I would like. I know with a pick I could go faster. But I just don't sound as good playing bass lines with a pick. Also with finger style I'm usually muting with my right hand, but you can't do that with a pick (unless your palm muting). How long does it take to master playing with a pick and does anyone have any decent exercises they can recommend?

I'm having to put a lot of time at the moment into getting faster at picking as my band's songs run at about 140bpm with flurries of 8th and 16th notes. Ouch. The only way I can do is to cane practicing. Increase the bpm a bit at a time until I get faster....sorry not to be able to offer anything more insightful than that !

I have started using a stiffer, but not thicker, plectrum (first change in 30 years) and that seems to have given me more control.

As for muting - try getting the unused fingers on your plectrum hand in on the act - it's something I only noticed recently that I do, but the tips of the spare fingers can be worked in to mute strings when moving from string to string.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I'm having to put a lot of time at the moment into getting faster at picking as my band's songs run at about 140bpm with flurries of 8th and 16th notes. Ouch. The only way I can do is to cane practicing. Increase the bpm a bit at a time until I get faster....sorry not to be able to offer anything more insightful than that !

140bm - ouch indeed! Sounds like I'm on the right lines with what I'm doing at the moment. Set my metronome to increase every few bars and play a line/scale in 16ths over the top of it. Hopefully if i focus on doing a little bit of that everyday the pick playing will naturally improve. Thanks for the advice

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

140bm - ouch indeed! Sounds like I'm on the right lines with what I'm doing at the moment. Set my metronome to increase every few bars and play a line/scale in 16ths over the top of it. Hopefully if i focus on doing a little bit of that everyday the pick playing will natadvice

Getting some practice in every day is the way...it is working for me. Three weeks to the gig and I need to coax ~ 8% increase in speed out of myself. Doable, but time needs to be put in.

I hope the drummer doesn't speed up at the gig 😯

6 hours ago, ahpook said:

I hope the drummer doesn't speed up at the gig 😯

Don't worry, he will.

I bought a metronome to our drummer. He even wrote the bpms to a paper. Life is now a lot easier.

Posted (edited)

I went down this rabbit hole of matching tone and volume (or thereabouts) as I was never happy with the perceived volume increase and low end loss when switching to pick. Marketing had led me to believe that bassists should use thick picks, until I researched my heroes (such as Duff and John Deacon and discovered they used light more flexible picks.

I bought a couple of Dunlop mixed bags and tried some of them out at a band rehearsal. I ended up settling with Tortex Flex 0.60mm. They have the snappy attack that for is the magic of pick playing, and is that happy medium of being flexible enough that it doesn't jump in volume or and thick enough to retain the low end.

Compression helps, but I like to have always on 'global compression'. If there's a volume mismatch between pick and finger it will change how the compressor reacts. I prefer to fix this issue 'at source' with the right pick.

The alternative is to use multiband compression to hone in and clamp down on the highly accentuated frequencies.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

Posted (edited)

I’m using Toretex Blue 1.0mm triangles 

Perfect pick for rock tone with a PBass and then lose some mids as it’s too harsh if not 

Edited by BassAdder60

I had to nail my pick technique when I joined my previous (punk) band.  Now I'm comfortable with both pick and fingers but with a slight preference for pick.  I will admit, if the song requires speed, I default to pick.

I think you have to use the pick you feel most comfortable with.  I went through countless shapes and sizes before settling on Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5mm.  

• Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 07:52, BassAdder60 said:

Thanks .. I have found a lighter touch works better and helps to play faster too.  I’m getting there I think 

Also, it really gives you somwhere to go, dynamically. I tend to play on the lighter side but sometimes I really get excited when playing live towards the end of a song or something and it is kind of fun to have a "next level of intensity" to go to!

• Like 1