Why become a member? ×

Your Magic Tone Sauce Pedal(s)?

Baloney Balderdash

Fretless Jazz into an Ampeg preamp is my (not so) secret sauce.

At least half of the time I'll be playing with a custom clone of the Blue Tube/Butler 903 tube overdrive with a blend - set to just below dirty so it crunches when I dig in. Lovely.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1

Jule Simone. It has tubes, a fantastic interactive 3 band EQ, it can be set to sound great clean or more aggressively but never harsh or brittle, it has a transformer based DI out which sounds great, it has a boost and the interaction between the Drive and Sensitivity controls mean you can easily and quickly set it to sound right with any bass be that for cleans, to compliment your mix or to stand out more and drive the band. 

I see a lot of love for the Noble tube DI but the Simone is a more fully featured and dare I say better value, more feature laden product and I’ve owned both to make that comparison from personal experience. It should be good as it’s a boutique item!

• Like 2

Rather clichéd but the humble Bass Soul Food always makes me smile when I use it. I've bought and sold them multiple times in the past and have decided that I'm going to intentionally keep my current unit, whether it lives on one of my boards or otherwise. It may lack 'heft' at living room volumes but comes into its own on stage.  

Commendations to the Boss BB-1X too; I recently picked one up for peanuts and it's great! I don't understand Boss' sales spiel about it and I'm not sure it has a clear identity but it does the job at gig volume!

• Like 1

TC Spectracomp. I like it so much, I own 3. One for church, one for my pedal board and one for recording at home. 

Multiband compression with presets developed by grownups which means I cannot mess them up. That is my favourite thing. 

Edited by Owen
because he thought of other things.
  • Like 3

For me  it would be a Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer.

For 20 years of bassplaying I hated compressors, never used them, never needed, never liked how they affect the sound and the feel of the instrument. Until CS-2. WOW. 

My number two would be Xotic Bass BB Preamp. My favorite OD combined with my number three - analog Boss CEB-3. 

• Like 2

I've had this (self built) Ziebek / Electronix Submarine clone, which in itself is a stripped down clone of the 'Albert Kruezer preamp', on every version of my pedal boards for the last twenty years.

It's got pretty varied tone shaping abilities & quite versatile for such a simple circuit, but I use it quite subtly to just add a bit of low mid 'thump' - really lends itself well to flats.... It's also quite handy as a clean boost for when I swap between my Mustang & Stingray.

I should really get round to building another one, when I get the time.

20231017_232057.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick said:

I've had this (self built) Ziebek / Electronix Submarine clone, which in itself is a stripped down clone of the 'Albert Kruezer preamp', on every version of my pedal boards for the last twenty years.

It's got pretty varied tone shaping abilities & quite versatile for such a simple circuit, but I use it quite subtly to just add a bit of low mid 'thump' - really lends itself well to flats.... It's also quite handy as a clean boost for when I swap between my Mustang & Stingray.

I should really get round to building another one, when I get the time.

20231017_232057.jpg

Have you got the schematic to hand? I was looking for it the other day and some of the hosting of files has gone so hard to follow what was verified and not!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Have you got the schematic to hand? I was looking for it the other day and some of the hosting of files has gone so hard to follow what was verified and not!  

Will DM you Luke 👍

On 11/10/2023 at 21:32, mazdah said:

For me  it would be a Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer.

For 20 years of bassplaying I hated compressors, never used them, never needed, never liked how they affect the sound and the feel of the instrument. Until CS-2. WOW. 

My number two would be Xotic Bass BB Preamp. My favorite OD combined with my number three - analog Boss CEB-3. 

I have the Behringer copy of this that I got mainly for guitar. What settings work well for you on bass? I've not really set it up for bass yet.

1 hour ago, Mornats said:

I have the Behringer copy of this that I got mainly for guitar. What settings work well for you on bass? I've not really set it up for bass yet.

CS-2 or CS-3 copy? They are quite different. 

I have Sustain at 2 o'lock, Attack on max, level to unity gain - Juan Alderete settings :)

On 19/10/2023 at 16:59, mazdah said:

CS-2 or CS-3 copy? They are quite different. 

I have Sustain at 2 o'lock, Attack on max, level to unity gain - Juan Alderete settings :)

It's a CS400 which emulates the CS-3 (controls are level, tone, attack, sustain).

When you say attack on max, is that turned all the way left or right? I can never work that out!

3 minutes ago, Mornats said:

It's a CS400 which emulates the CS-3 (controls are level, tone, attack, sustain).

When you say attack on max, is that turned all the way left or right? I can never work that out!

He is clearly talking about the control knob labeled "Attack", hence the capital letters.

That is crank it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

23 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

He is clearly talking about the control knob labeled "Attack", hence the capital letters.

That is crank it.

I'm also talking about the attack knob. To the left is a fast attack and to the right is a slow attack so it's not obvious what "max" is in this case.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mornats said:

I'm also talking about the attack knob. To the left is a fast attack and to the right is a slow attack so it's not obvious what "max" is in this case.

That's because Attack whenever we are talking compressors really means attack time, so a long attack time = a slow attack, as it sets how long it takes for the compressor to kick in.

Also a maxed knob/potentiometer will always mean as far to the right as it can go.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Secret sauce?

Pedal board one: Mesa Subway pedal. Keely compressor pro. Tuner. Chorus.

Pedal board two. Mesa Subway Pedal +. Keely compressor pro. Chorus.

Pedal board three. Two notes Le Bass. Keely compressor pro. Chorus.

Pedal board four. Two notes ReVolt. Keely compressor pro. Chorus.

Pedal board five. Quad Cortex.

Pedal board six. Work in progress. But I have a CAB M that I'm toying with.

Edited by joel406
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joel406 said:

Secret sauce?

Pedal board one: Mesa Subway pedal. Keely compressor pro. Tuner. Chorus.

Pedal board two. Mesa Subway Pedal +. Keely compressor pro. Chorus.

Pedal board three. Two notes Le Bass. Keely compressor pro. Chorus.

Pedal board four. Two notes ReVolt. Keely compressor pro. Chorus.

Pedal board five. Quad Cortex.

Pedal board six. Work in progress. But I have a CAB M that I'm toying with.

The common denominator is the pedal board!

• Haha 1