Why become a member? ×

Custom pickguard - best place?

NancyJohnson

I'm giving some thought to having a custom pickguard made for my Hamer Cruisebass; oddly, I think I'd probably play it more if it had one.

Query here is how do I go about getting one made.  It's not a standard off the shelf shape; there are a few decent straight-on photos available (see below).  Would it be feasible to take the fingerboard measurements and the distance to the pickup pocket and risk it?  I don't need holes, I'll just attach with double-sided tape.

image.png.d291442d663e3c953ddf5019b048dceb.png

Mine:

20230614_162201.thumb.jpg.45d43f877f516d9b89adab873373330e.jpg

I made a scratchplate from a blank once - it was surprisingly easy.  Made a paper template first, when I was happy with the shape and pickup/neck cutouts, transferred it to the plastic sheet and went at it with a jigsaw.  Then just scraped the edges to 45 degrees with a Stanley knife.  Sanded the edges to finish, and hey presto.

58 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Earlpilanz (Brian) on EBay. He's your man. He'll make custom ones. 

+1 - he did a great job of copying my G&L LB-100 pickguard.  I'm sure if you make up a card template he'll recreate it faithfully.

Edited by neepheid

I'd send it to gig ink and have them make whatever you want using the original as a template. www.gig.ink 

I've had some stuff made by them: a direct replacement scratch plate for my Stingray (I went for mirror finish with the band logo etched on) and a pickup surround to cover some bad DIY around the routing on a bitsa. 

He also sends you a scale template to print out so you can double check the fit, he's very careful to only make something that will work.

Edited by uk_lefty

I've used Brian and Tim for different things and they are both too notch. But they offer different products so I guess it depends what you want. Brian will make any size or shape from regular 1,2or 3 ply material in a bewildering range of colours. Tim also makes any size or shape but uses clear perspex with any design you want printed on the underneath.