Why become a member? ×

My first attempt to build/assemble a bass guitar

mrbacco

2 minutes ago, mrbacco said:

Can I reverse a right handed nut to be used in the left handed neck?

No, because they have a back and a front.  And  correctly shaped nut slots should be slightly tapered, so the string sits on a knife edge, rather than flat on the nut.

So yes, you need to either buy a blank nut and shape it yourself, or buy a ready slotted right handed nut, of the correct width.  Measure yours and see how wide it is.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

@mrbacco

You've got the right idea regarding swapping the nut, just knock the old one off and replace it with a right hander. 

Guitars and basses are not that complicated 👍

I was very afraid cause the bass police icon of @fleabag was staring at me so seriously so I thought I really have done something greatly wrong ! 🙂 

• Haha 1

Good morning ! I am following up in relation to this topic: the project has taken a few nice turns and has accelerated a bit.

For instance, I did not have to square the heel of the neck as I found a nice Telecaster like neck on Ebay for around 100 euros, second hand, but in very good conditions and it has exactly the measurements of the telecaster like body I had, so, I changed those two elements and proceeding to the assembly with quite some good satisfaction. I can send some preliminary pictures here below. I have changed the pickup as well cause, while excercising with the hand router, I was only able to makde some abstract- sculptures out of the wood I was training on; and since Wi-Fi has gifted me with one more body, so that I can use my neck above, then I will have a second project for Q4 2023 - Q1 2024, where I will ise the warman pickup.

I got into some issues when mounting the pickup, meaning that since the body is spruce, is quite soft compared to other types of wood, so when carefully drilling the mini holes for the pickup screws ... I screwed the bottom ... so: wood refill, and I installed also a wood patch in the pickup as the cavity was made very deep.

The pickup I used here is a mini humbucker and it is from a small producer in Italy: IUSO pickups. It is nice, and sound quite warm anmd rounded for my taste. I am happy with that.  Strings are the adagio of the previous pictures.

The bass has been painted rustic red with some black drizzle around to give more road worn kind of look. It has been called Tele Ferrari in honour to my hometown car manufacturer which is performing s****  in F1 🙂, but mainly because the body was painted acrylic red already!

The machine head gear is silver colored, so I will change the tone and volume knobs and the bridge to be silver as the head pegs. I installed strings and everything to test the pickup and make sure the volume and tone work properly. 

Please, point out any mistake I am making or anything you do not like, any critique is welcome as a lesson learnt! Thanks!

PXL_20230904_083223537.jpg

PXL_20230904_083230380.jpg

PXL_20230904_083237295.jpg

PXL_20230904_083240512.jpg

PXL_20230904_083300608.jpg

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

As Paul says above, The knobs are the only things that look slightly off.  Maybe some Bakelite chicken heads would suit.

Overall it looks very good

I thought about that, I wanna change the hardware to silver rather than black, as I wanna use the black pegs, knobs and bridge for the second project

10 minutes ago, Jackopie1 said:

Nice! That looks great. How did you paint it?

Also, just want to hop on the Warman fanclub. Am in the process of my first proper bass build, and the Warman MM humbucker I've used does the job nicely!

yeah they seem to be a good choice according to others here! 🙂 the paint was acrylic red from the luthier, and I sprayed it with some satin black paint, cause I wanted to give it a darker tone 

8 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Body looks great, like the basic control plate, agreed some older style knobs needed...

thanks. Knobs will be changed, with some basic silver based, thanks! 🙂 

Edited by mrbacco

11 hours ago, mrbacco said:

you mean the 18mm plywood in the attic where I did not put any floor cause I spend all my money in basses, watches, drums, and other stuff? 

That's a proper floor,  and you have plasterboard, skirting board,  skylight, and it looks like electricity as well. 

My loft has bare joists, rockwool insulation,  dust, and a wasps' nest!

• Haha 1

That looks great - the back looks bloody gorgeous! 

I'll cast another vote for a pair of Bakelite "chickenhead" knobs. The only thing on the bass which is less than gorgeous (IMO) is the control plate - I think I'd have gone with a curved MM style one - reliced, of course. The finish and the colour scheme are lush - good work, fella!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

the back looks bloody gorgeous!

thanks man! what about the plywood? is it gorgeous too? ... haha ... sorry I am messing, I am not wise these days, apologies!

Thanks for the support I will try to get some chicken head knobs and I'll send final pictures!

Looks good!  And funnily enough, ref mashing up the pickup screw holes when originally fitting the pickups, I was going to ask whether there was enough depth to pop a hardwood block under there and screw into that - but you clearly beat me to it and popped one in there in any case!  :)

Looking forward to the next one.  With that result, can't believe you haven't now fully got the bug :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Looks good!  And funnily enough, ref mashing up the pickup screw holes when originally fitting the pickups, I was going to ask whether there was enough depth to pop a hardwood block under there and screw into that - but you clearly beat me to it and popped one in there in any case!  :)

Looking forward to the next one.  With that result, can't believe you haven't now fully got the bug :D

too kind, Sir, thanks! 🙂 

• Like 1

final pics here ...

changes:

- bridge: my OCD forced me to have bridge and pegs same color: but my OCD forced me also to have part of the bridge in brass as the control plate, so I installed the old bridge saddles in a new silver bridge.

- Control knobs: I had these already so I thought to mount them intead of looking for new ones: they are silver colored as the rest of the main hardware.

Thanks for looking and for all the advice, gentlepeople .

PXL_20230907_120546354.jpg

PXL_20230907_120554497.jpg

PXL_20230907_120559391.jpg

PXL_20230907_120614477.jpg

PXL_20230907_120617290.jpg

PXL_20230907_120639809.jpg

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 2

Looks cool.

However......

The thing that really, really, really bugs me is the square corner on the bottom of the control plate by the body edge. I'd want to file that into a round corner. 

But......

It's not my bass, so whatever makes you happy is the important bit.

Edited by Si600
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I'd want to file that into a round corner. 

yeah ... that is also a bug for me too ... I was trying tomhide it from my OCD, but it comes back ... I have a saw that I use for my wood work, that can cut metal too ... will try today to fix it according to the shape of the body ... 

In fairness, I left it like that as I thought would give a very old and rough touch to the body ... mmmh ... you made me think again! 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbacco said:

yeah ... that is also a bug for me too ... I was trying tomhide it from my OCD, but it comes back ... I have a saw that I use for my wood work, that can cut metal too ... will try today to fix it according to the shape of the body ... 

In fairness, I left it like that as I thought would give a very old and rough touch to the body ... mmmh ... you made me think again! 🙂 

You have made some good choices.  I like the knobs you chose better than the first lot.

As for the control plate... if it is brass you need only take the corners off with a good metal file.  It won't take much and brass is a relatively easy metal to work with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrbacco said:

final pics here ...

- bridge: my OCD forced me to have bridge and pegs same color: but my OCD forced me also to have part of the bridge in brass as the control plate, so I installed the old bridge saddles in a new silver bridge.

- Control knobs: I had these already so I thought to mount them intead of looking for new ones: they are silver colored as the rest of the main hardware.

PXL_20230907_120554497.jpg

Hi Mr Bacco

I really appreciate what you have achieved here - you have given your guitar so much character!

Please consider one more suggestion (and maybe OCD can be outvoted?):

The Control plate and the Tailpiece are both on the body, and near each other - the machine heads are further away and on the headstock.  My (aging) senses tell me that there would be greater symmetry on the body hardware if the tailpiece was Brass and the bridge saddles were 'silver'  (to match 'silver' controls on the Brass Control plate)  Just an idea to consider...

In any case - Bravo!

(I've tried to Photoshop your photo to give an example)

MrBacco-Build-Tailpiece.jpg.ed77fdea3098efacb09831a2082bc756.jpg

Edited by sandy_r
  • Thanks 1