Why become a member? ×

Best budget bass amp for metal?

E1M1_ENJOYER

Hi everyone, I'm in search of a budget (used too) bass amp for practice and small gigs. I play mainly metal and hardcore punk, so I need a reliable distortion. Unfortunately I have a quite tight budget (max 150 euros), but I'm looking into used stuff as well. My best choice for now was a ELGA AB 15100, used in great conditions for 100 euros. Thanks in advance

If weight is not an issue then hands down and old used Trace Elliot amp, as suggested above.

They can be had quite cheap used, sounds no short of astonishing, play really loud compared to the rated Wattage, and are build like tanks.

However they do weight about a ton.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Best amp for metal?

Someone elses.

This. Definitely.

Darkglass heads are voiced perfectly for newer metal styles (think John Stockman from Karnivool) but most of my metal playing was through Ampeg stuff 0 their cabs have a noticeable 'boom' at around 200Hz which was great for filling the space when two lead guitarists were going widdly widdley in harmony.

On 06/09/2023 at 18:38, paul_5 said:

This. Definitely.

Darkglass heads are voiced perfectly for newer metal styles (think John Stockman from Karnivool) but most of my metal playing was through Ampeg stuff 0 their cabs have a noticeable 'boom' at around 200Hz which was great for filling the space when two lead guitarists were going widdly widdley in harmony.

Hardly "budget" though...

This will go a long way: if your band is very loud it'll need some help from the PA.

Speaking of PA, a Beringer BD21 straight to desk is a reliable way of getting a decent signal into the venue. Cheap and just good.

Peavey amps work great and can be affordable, it all depends on the rest of your band how much oomph you need.

You could see if this is still available if you're still looking:

19 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

The OP made the one post and left. Never returned. The last person to do this was one SanFrancisco so I coined the situation of the members posting uselessly to an ingrate "SansFransicoed".

We have again been SansFransicoed.

Or if you wanted to be a bit more hip you could say you'd been "Friscoed" 😁