Why become a member? ×

Multi scale 5 string

SteveXFR

I'm looking for a 5 string to use with my band. I play in drop A# (A# F A# D#) and currently using a P bass tuned down with some suitably heavy (.14 lowest) strings and it's all a bit mushy on the low A# string. The lack of string tension doesn't help with fast picking. 

I'm wondering whether the extra scale length of an MS instrument might give better note definition.

They seem to be popular with metal bands who tune super low and I'm guessing there must be a reason. 

• Like 1

You don't need a 5-string to try a longer scale, the Yamaha TRBii is a 35" scale 4 string and would be well under your budget. I can't say a noticed a huge difference when I had one and am back using a 34" scale ESP jazz tuned ADGC.

edit -> bear in mind the patron saint of low tuning (and many of his flock) uses a 33.25" scale Rickenbacker

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd love a Dingwall but my £1000 budget says no.

https://reverb.com/item/72321683-dingwall-d-roc-standard-2022-aquamarine?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=72321683 

4 string, 36.25 on the low string and open to offers. Possibly worth a thought! 😊

• Like 1

Honestly I’d say they are used in metal for fashion reasons as much as anything. One popular band uses something and it catches on. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the multi scale thing does  the job perfectly well, but it was done perfectly well before multi scale became a thing too. 
The multiscale was more about balanced tension as I understand it- think of a piano etc. 

• Like 2

The added length does really help with adding tension to a thicker string. I'm only in drop C for my band, but everyone agrees that my Dingwall really fits in sonically. I feel like the note definition is really clear which really helps. You'd get away with stock strings on a 5 tuning to drop A#. The downside to a 5 string may be that you just end up needing to be constantly muting the higest string. I think there should be more entry level 4 string multiscales for when you need to go low and don't need 5.

The BTBs are probably an acquired taste visually, but if you do want to go that way, I'd be tempted to try their new multiscales out. The shop in the link below are meant to be getting some in this month at only £20 over budget.
https://livelouder.co.uk/product/ibanez-btb605ms-cem-cerulean-aura-burst-matte/

• Like 1

IMO scale length makes no difference for low B until you get to 36" scale or longer. The best low B I've ever had was from a 34" scale bass and two 35" scales basses I owned were both very poor when it came to the sound and feel of the low B string.

For me the most important factors were a stiff neck either set neck or neck through construction combined with the right choice of string. I found that most "B" strings are far to low tension and for standard tuning 135 was the absolute minimum. I also found that a taper-wound B string gave better results. Of course this only suits the bases I play and my playing technique. You may have to do you own experimentation to find what works for you.

• Like 1

In my experience it definitely helps. I was playing in drop A# on a 34" scale bass with a .140 low string, then I built myself a multiscale 35.5" to 33.5" (my thinking being that in that tuning, the other 3 strings are actually a semitone higher than standard, so why not go slightly shorter on the treble side) and the slight increase in tension really did help.

Also, Solar make a 35" scale 4 string bass that is 100% built for this exact purpose and costs about £700, I think.

Edit: you said 5 string didn't you - sorry, ignore the last part!

Edited by Rexel Matador
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

In my experience it definitely helps. I was playing in drop A# on a 34" scale bass with a .140 low string, then I built myself a multiscale 35.5" to 33.5" (my thinking being that in that tuning, the other 3 strings are actually a semitone higher than standard, so why not go slightly shorter on the treble side) and the slight increase in tension really did help.

Also, Solar make a 35" scale 4 string bass that is 100% built for this exact purpose and costs about £700, I think.

Edit: you said 5 string didn't you - sorry, ignore the last part!

I'll check out that Solar. I could live without the G string. I'm playing stoner metal so don't get up that high. Probably 60% of what I play is on the low A# string

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'll check out that Solar. I could live without the G string. I'm playing stoner metal so don't get up that high. Probably 60% of what I play is on the low A# string

If you're looking for it online, they call it a baritone, confusingly, though it's definitely a bass, In the corresponding range to a baritone guitar, I suppose.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

If you're looking for it online, they call it a baritone, confusingly, though it's definitely a bass, In the corresponding range to a baritone guitar, I suppose.

Are you sure it's not a baritone guitar? That's what they look like and I know they make a range of baritone guitars.

• Like 1

I mostly play Dub/Reggae/Ska but also a bit of Doom and I've found extra scale length does help to keep a B string tighter. You don't have to have a multi-scale for that (I had a 35" scale Lakland that was good) but it means that the higher strings get a bit tight/bright/twangy, multi-scale helps keep the tension and tone more similar across all strings and the fanned frets also make playing a bit more comfortable for longer scales.

I had a 5 string Dingwall Combustion (37"-34") which was good but was heavy at about 4.5kg and quite expensive. I now have an Ibanez EHB1005MS which is half the price, sounds nearly as good, and is much more comfortable to play at 3.3kg and a shorter reach (35"-33").

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

I think this is what they're getting at with the name:

Standard guitar     E A D G B E
7-string guitar   B E A D G B E
Baritone guitar   B E A D G B

Standard bass       E A D G
5-string bass     B E A D G
"Baritone" bass   B E A D

i.e. it comes with 65-130 strings, it's designed to be played a 5th lower than your usual 4-string. In the absence of a standard term for this, they've come up with something that sort-of makes sense... if you try not to think about the normal meaning of "baritone" 😆

Edited by MartinB
  • Like 2