Why become a member? ×

Through neck build 10+ years in the making!

MichaelDean

Well, I made a start on my lunch break and it is no longer a single cut. Loads of frets just fell out while I was doing bits 😅 The top horn needs to be rounded off and I'll think about making that flow more. I think the lower horn could do with being rounded off to match the redeisgn as well.

I forgot just how hard walnut is to work with though! It's so tough! Smells lovely though. It's currently down from 3.7kg with no hardware to 3.49kg. Heading in the right direction.

PXL_20230811_151523361.thumb.jpg.2163c14d68a16be6bd7047d4df92248e.jpg

• Like 5

Is the shape of the lower horn slightly mirrored in the shape of the headstock?
I kinda like that little design detail, plus I like the look of the lower horn as it is, so I'd personally try to leave that.

But this is your build, and I'm following with interest.

Mark

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LowB_FTW said:

Is the shape of the lower horn slightly mirrored in the shape of the headstock?
I kinda like that little design detail, plus I like the look of the lower horn as it is, so I'd personally try to leave that.

But this is your build, and I'm following with interest.

Mark

It does mirror it a bit. But I think it'll look odd if the top horn doesn't do the same, and then I'm not sure I want it on the top horn. 

• MichaelDean changed the title to Through neck build 10+ years in the making!

The back is a bit thinner than before. I don't have a proper plane, so I was using a belt sander (I know, I know...). I was just about to change the belt when the handle to release it snapped. Bums! So, there isn't a lot of material off the back so far. 

I spent the rest of the time I had today taking the nose off the top horn, shaping that a bit and thinking about the rear scoop. I think I need a gouge chisel to do it how I want it to look, but my trusty Shinto and half round rasps have done some of the work for me. Still a long way to go sanding and shaping though!

I'm down 420g since starting, so I'll be in the ballpark I was aiming for. The body doesn't feel nearly as massive as it did either, so I'm really pleased with the direction it's going in. The new fretboard is meant to arrive next Monday (21st), so I'll try and steam the fretboard off this week. 

Also, I had some proper fret nippers arrive yesterday. SO much better to be using the right tool. They cut through the old stainless steel frets like nobody's business. I'm tempted to try for stainless steel frets again if I can find anywhere that has vintage size pre-radiused SS fretwire in stock. Are there any good places to look that Google might not find?

PXL_20230813_111552836.thumb.jpg.a41cef056d0b1cd6e1db4067aad51b17.jpgPXL_20230813_113103681.thumb.jpg.eb15d090b8191a2d8c17c780d4008ac1.jpg

• Like 7

Not a lot of progress, but the new fretboard arrived today. Looks good and no additional VAT! So feels like a bit of a bargain! It is a bit thinner than what I have already and seems to be pretty light, so hopefully that'll be a gram or two off. I think it'll look really good with the matching board. 

I've had a crazy idea of using a small angle grinder to carve the heel joint. My father in law has one I'm sure he'd lend me. I'm not sure about either using a carving disc or a flap disc. Does anyone have any opinions?

All this has got me thinking about a second build too. I'll see how gluing the fretboard goes on for this, but I'd love a 4 string multiscale...

3 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Not a lot of progress, but the new fretboard arrived today. Looks good and no additional VAT! So feels like a bit of a bargain! It is a bit thinner than what I have already and seems to be pretty light, so hopefully that'll be a gram or two off. I think it'll look really good with the matching board. 

I've had a crazy idea of using a small angle grinder to carve the heel joint. My father in law has one I'm sure he'd lend me. I'm not sure about either using a carving disc or a flap disc. Does anyone have any opinions?

All this has got me thinking about a second build too. I'll see how gluing the fretboard goes on for this, but I'd love a 4 string multiscale...

I was going to suggest a curved fine Microplane rasp blade from their Snap-In range...but it looks like they've pulled out of the carpentry market altogether!!!  That said, they are very active in the (probably more expensive lucrative) cooking utensil martket - and it's almost certainly the same blades...

Always learning things when it comes to building a bass. Today's lesson was a two-parter!

1. You can't steam a fretboard off in a lunch break
  2. Start at the heel end and you're less likely to splinter/split the neck!

I watched a YouTube video where someone steamed off a guitar fretboard in 25 minutes. I felt emboldened. I was misguided! 🤣

I've not got massive splits, and they haven't come off entirely, but I thought it would be easier to start at the nut end as there was a nice, easy access point. I was wrong! I'll be able to glue them up though, so it'll be fiiiiiine 😅

The wenge is very brittle. It broke off quite a lot and couldn't have been reglued. Plus, as you can see below, it has bowed a bit now it's off!

I'll need to spend some more time with it and get the rest off another day. 

Astute onlookers may also be wondering where the channel for the truss rod is. It's hidden under a maple sliver. The slot was a bit deep, so at the suggestion of a friend, it was filled from the front. There is still plenty of material to carve a comfy shape at the back though. 

PXL_20230823_153445545.thumb.jpg.accc55873de651810d9aacba19680521.jpg

Edited by MichaelDean
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back to it! I've had a holiday and then some other life stuff. So, I decided to treat myself with a morning off work.

Next order of business was to steam the rest of the fretboard off. This went a lot smoother and was actually pretty quick. So that's off and I've tidied it up a bit with a surform. PXL_20231006_084744271.thumb.jpg.4eb084ac47549b8be7957d2c54d24a5b.jpg

As time is always an issue, I then attacked the heel with this nasty looking disc on my small angle grinder.PXL_20231006_085552228.thumb.jpg.d24b17120e4ad80d3d55578f30d5c207.jpg

That was pretty successful! 

PXL_20231006_090726556.thumb.jpg.0397d9ed3337cdb1baa8eac314e578e5.jpg

And then that needed to be smoothed out... It's not perfect, but it's a lot tidier than it was.PXL_20231006_101229240.thumb.jpg.69253b6776a7b08a44b4bf23620e67e7.jpg

And I've done a bit more on the front, bringing the wrist contour towards the neck a bit.

PXL_20231006_101240768.thumb.jpg.2bdeac495c3731e8b1533ec30bc76a15.jpg

It really feels like I'm making progress on it! I'll nip into Screwfix to some wood glue on my way to pick up my daughter from nursery later and I'll hopefully manage to glue up the neck splinters this evening.

I'll bring it along to the South West Bass Bash on Sunday so that you can see that any idiot with some tools, a bit of patience and a fair amount of trial and error can make something.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Sure looks like progress to me.

I can't make the bash this weekend, which is really really disappointing. For a start I'll have to make my own lunch!

The South West bash has lunch? That's luxury that is.

We had to deal with basses at the Midlands Cake and Bass Bash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

The South West bash has lunch? That's luxury that is.

We had to deal with basses at the Midlands Cake and Bass Bash.

The SW bash is legendary for the food. Sometimes people talk about basses a bit too. The Midlands Bash concentrates on basses, but we did tell people where the nearest Greggs was. 😁

• Haha 2

That's going to look superb. As good as the pics are, they don't do that fingerboard justice, the figuring is amazing. Following with keen interest, and looking forward to seeing the finished article at SWBB2024..!

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rich said:

That's going to look superb. As good as the pics are, they don't do that fingerboard justice, the figuring is amazing. Following with keen interest, and looking forward to seeing the finished article at SWBB2024..!

Thanks! I'm really pleased with the fingerboard. I think it looks much better than the original one.