Why become a member? ×

Through neck build 10+ years in the making!

MichaelDean

Not had much progress recently. I've just made the holes for the side dots. Hopeing to get them in tomorrow afternoon, and then do a lot of sanding. There are still some bulges in the neck (as you can see below!).

PXL_20231130_135930236.thumb.jpg.0f80635b4f59f1983d343d269f5fff0f.jpg

Also, if anyone has tips for cutting tiny bits of carbon fibre tubing, I'd be very grateful. My fret nippers can cut the stainless steel rod into smaller bits - that's easy enough. The carbon fibre tube flakes out with serrated blades, flattens with nippers, but is too tough for a stanley knife. I'm wondering about maybe getting my dremel (equivalent) out with a cutting disc maybe? Did not think about this when I chose carbon fibre! It was just an easily available black tube with the right spec!

19 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Also, if anyone has tips for cutting tiny bits of carbon fibre tubing, I'd be very grateful

First tips, that I'm sure you already know, is face mask and gloves!

I think I would use a cocktail/kebab stick pushed in to give it the support and prevent the crushing - it helps the cutting too.  Personally, I use a fine-tooth X-acto razor saw but the dremel cutting disc also works (but don't forget that mask and, for this, I would wear glasses/goggles too). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips @Andyjr1515, cocktail sticks worked a treat. 

PXL_20231201_142201971.thumb.jpg.cba21137757914ad55954eba62b03765.jpg

Shame the rest of the process was such a faff! Perhaps not helped by my super glue possibly being a bit old... 

After a LOT of trial and error, I had to make the holes pretty deep, so that the carbon fibre maintained integrity. Glue that in, then cut the stainless steel to fit and glue that in. Let it dry and then file it down. Sounds simple written! Was not easy! Were I to do it again, I'd get carbon fibre with a thicker wall. This is just 0.5mm. 1mm would have made quite a difference I think. 

Despite the difficulty, I do think it looks good. There is still a fair amount of tidying up that needs to be done.

PXL_20231201_145818388_MP.thumb.jpg.4fbfbc038b3246313ce7b27ca2aa6c63.jpg

• Like 6