Why become a member? ×

Back to 5.

Marty Forrer

My upgraded Metro Express was a nice enough bass (VTC preamp, Hipshots, Di Marzio pickups etc) but I was really missing that B string... so off it went to a new owner and I have an MTD Kingston Z-5 incoming. Lightweight, 35" scale, asymmetrical neck, 3 band eq ticks all my boxes. Maple burl top, rosewood board, looking forward to it.

• Like 3

*sigh*....I just recently decided that its best to play my 5s in my current group based on their material they cover....so, I feel ya

Good luck with the new bass.....Im looking at a MTD Kingston Super 5 Im seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on. Otherwise I have a 2014 Fender Jazz Deluxe 5, an '87 Peavey Dyna Bass 5. a Sire V7 Gen 1, and a Shecter Omen Elite V to rotate

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 1

I'd love to go back to a 5. Unfortunately almost all of them are too heavy for me.

I did have a Sandberg Superlight 5 which was under 7lb but the neck was too chunky for me.

In an ideal world I'd have a Stingray 5 that was only 7lb! I love that 44.5mm nut and the 17.5mm string spacing.

As that will never happen outside of getting something custom built like it for silly money I am stuck with 4 strings.

33 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'd love to go back to a 5. Unfortunately almost all of them are too heavy for me.

I'm checking out light basses and recently bought an Ibanez EHB1505 (7lb) and a Cort GB35J (7lb 1oz) . So far I've gigged both in top 40 covers, reggae and blues rock bands, and they worked well in every situation.

• Like 1

The MTD Kingston arrived and after cleaning the previous owner's DNA off it, I did a light fret level, dress and polish, oiled the beautiful rosewood board, new strings and a setup to Mike Tobias's specs, and installed a pair of Dunlop straplocks. Plays like butter, I'm digging the assymetrical neck profile and the 19mm spacing. Despite the position of the bridge saddles, the intonation is perfect! It weighs 3.8kg (8.4lbs).

MTD Z-5.jpg

Edited by Marty Forrer
  • Like 11

I bought a Jazz V , and then a L2500 Tribute and sold the Jazz , but I never really got along with the B string.

Still have the Trib , but I simply prefer short scale four string basses , they work better for me , despite the more frequent position changes. 

I had to part with my Sei headless 5 when my arthritic fingers struggled with the neck width, I reverted back to 4 strings but couldn’t forget that missing low B.

Salvation appeared when I got my hands on a Wilkinson 4+1 conversion kit and transformed my mongrel P bass, the narrow string width won’t suit everyone, but as I swap between guitar and bass the 16.5mm works for me, together with a regular 4 string neck width, I’m back in heaven 

IMG_3121.thumb.jpeg.891eaaf9f5202806303cb8cfca5aebac.jpeg

• Like 2

I was exclusively into pointy 5s for most of the first 10 years of playing, then switched to conventional 4s for the next 10 years, then the pandemic hit and I went back to 5s again but this time conventional ones.

Just the other day I pulled my very last remaining 4 from storage intending to sell it and finish the job, but every time I try, I end up deciding to keep it as it's a bitsa and worth very little. Maybe one day I'll get called to one of those mythical auditions you hear about where you're told that only a 4-string P will be acceptable, and I'll be glad I kept it. It's tuned BEAD so at least I'd have most of the right strings. Or maybe it'll just take up space until next time I fail to bring myself to move it on. And repeat.

I'm back to 5 for all practical purposes, anyway.

On 31/07/2023 at 13:28, chris_b said:

I'm checking out light basses and recently bought an Ibanez EHB1505 (7lb) and a Cort GB35J (7lb 1oz) . So far I've gigged both in top 40 covers, reggae and blues rock bands, and they worked well in every situation.

What is the nut width and bridge string spacing on the Cort please?

I can’t find that info on their website.

47 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

What is the nut width and bridge string spacing on the Cort please?

I think the GB35's might be discontinued.

The info I have, from the ad, 19mm at the bridge and a nut width 1.75" (45mm).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ead said:

Just acquired a mint (and uber good value) Cort GB75.  Got some EMG Js to fit and will string it E-C as I think it will be use to me that way.

I'm looking to add some sparkle to a Cort GB35J. Which EMG's have you chosen.

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'm looking to add some sparkle to a Cort GB35J. Which EMG's have you chosen.

The standard J set.  Always got on well with these in 4-string J & P versions.

• Like 1

After two gigs, and experimenting with the setup specs and strings, I've got the MTD Z5 playing and sounding awesome. The B string is now perfectly focussed and balanced with the other strings, and I've found the sweet spots for the pickups and eq. I can't see me needing to change the preamp after all.

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2023 at 18:49, wrinkleygit said:

I had to part with my Sei headless 5 when my arthritic fingers struggled with the neck width, I reverted back to 4 strings but couldn’t forget that missing low B.

Salvation appeared when I got my hands on a Wilkinson 4+1 conversion kit and transformed my mongrel P bass, the narrow string width won’t suit everyone, but as I swap between guitar and bass the 16.5mm works for me, together with a regular 4 string neck width, I’m back in heaven 

IMG_3121.thumb.jpeg.891eaaf9f5202806303cb8cfca5aebac.jpeg

Hang on, Where's the tuner for string number 2?

On 07/08/2023 at 14:45, neepheid said:

I came into this thread expecting a tale of woe about the forced selling of some basses, leaving the OP with a paltry collection of five...

Only five… just started playing… making do till I can afford the right number … belonged to my gran etc