Why become a member? ×

The Prince thread...

bubinga5

Well this is a forum so discussion is encouraged and that means dissent is never far away..haha!

With the exception of 1999, for me his music never really gets going, never really sounds cool compared to the likes of MJ, Luther, Barry White, EW&F and a whole raft of black groove artists that have shaped my playing experience over the decades...  I guess he's just too quirky, experimental if you like for my tastes. Anyway tin hat firmly affixed..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Well this is a forum so discussion is encouraged and that means dissent is never far away..haha!

With the exception of 1999, for me his music never really gets going, never really sounds cool compared to the likes of MJ, Luther, Barry White, EW&F and a whole raft of black groove artists that have shaped my playing experience over the decades...  I guess he's just too quirky, experimental if you like for my tastes. Anyway tin hat firmly affixed..

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I get the showmanship thing, less impressed by the content 

You do know that the full weight of the Basschat Thought Police will be dropped on you from a great height, don't you? I had the audacity to say that some of his stuff was twee and cheesy a few years ago, never thought I'd hear the end of it. He has undoubtedly come up with some good stuff, but then again Nilo has occasionally written a coherent and logical sentence. I'm unwilling to subject myself to his entire oeuvre in order to work out what proportion is really good stuff and what is twee filler. IMNSHO.

4 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You do know that the full weight of the Basschat Thought Police will be dropped on you from a great height, don't you? I had the audacity to say that some of his stuff was twee and cheesy a few years ago, never thought I'd hear the end of it. He has undoubtedly come up with some good stuff, but then again Nilo has occasionally written a coherent and logical sentence. I'm unwilling to subject myself to his entire oeuvre in order to work out what proportion is really good stuff and what is twee filler. IMNSHO.

Thank you. I don’t give a foxtrot unicorn Charlie kilo what they think of my opinion, I defend their right to think differently 

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

To paraphrase Gus in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - "I don't mind you disagreeing with me if you don't mind being wrong..."

I don’t think they’re wrong to hold their opinion, and it’s not necessarily wrong. Maybe I am; I just don’t think his canon matches the promise. Like when you see a great looking steaming mug of coffee that isn’t as good tasting as it looks

On 30/07/2023 at 08:59, toneknob said:

Lets Go Crazy from the 3rdEyeBlind tour (which I was lucky enough to see at the Roundhouse). Features Ida Neilsen bass solo!

I was lucky enough to see one of the secret "hit and run" gigs with 3rdEyeGirl. I'd been working just outside London for the weekend, and I had a free Sunday because we'd finished ahead of schedule. He'd played a few unannounced shows around London already that weekend, and the rumour was that he'd be doing Koko in Camden on the Sunday. Turned up. Queued, got in for the first show. They started with Let's Go Crazy, and Ida Neilsen's bass solo was one of the best distorted bass tones I've ever heard.

Quite possibly I'm with one foot in several camps.
I think his musicality is exquisitely refined, but his output seems to me to not reflect a lot of depth and also to bring much sameness. I think he could be a lot more interesting if he wanted to, but maybe he didn't want to.
Bought and enjoy "Around the World in a Day", and enjoyed "Sign o' the Times", which seemed interesting, but haven't listened to it more than a few times, so it might grow on me more if I listened more and more closely.

Don't really know much of his other stuff, but again and again record live shows from the tv, and then delete them quickly again.

BTW, really can't stand that Purple Rain melody snippet "purple rain, purple rain" (1-2-3----,  3-2-1----), and duck and cover when it comes on somewhere.

Oh, the fave! I forgot.
This version of Raspberry Beret may be as good as any.

Edited by BassTractor

On 29/07/2023 at 20:28, TheGreek said:

Nobody is claiming he was "the best", I think we all accept how futile this claim is, however if you, or any other contributor to this discussion, believe there is a more accomplished musician, in diversity, in range of instruments played or ability, then I'm open to listening to your nomination. 

Frank Vincent Zappa. Check mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

He's on the list but below Prince.

Zappa: "Hey, Princy! Could I get lessons from you? You know, I can't get to grips with this  I, IV, V, I  stuff that's so popular these days.
With teaspoons, eh? I'm a bit slow."
😉

Edited by BassTractor
  • Confused 1

On 29/07/2023 at 17:19, Dan Dare said:

Hmmm. He was extremely good, but better than everyone everywhere "in our times"? From all countries/cultures, all types of music, etc? That's too bold a claim.

If you read what I said, because im really aware of what I say, because I word it very carefully. What you have done is put in a couple of words and some other stuff that you seemed to have made up to make it sound like I made a bold claim. Have a re read of what I said and have a think Dan.  I say what I think and its usually really honest. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1