Why become a member? ×

Precision style bass options

BillB

I'm looking for a relatively affordable P-Bass... I think!!

I have big hands and fat fingers so looking at 4 string Ps for the wider string spacing, chunkier neck. I'm 6'4" so long scale is probably preferable.

I like the look of the early 50s tele headstock, and slab bodies, the Dusty Hill basses float my boat. But not totally writing off more modern style Ps.

I will probably turn it into a re-body project at some point, because I like making stuff  and fancy trying a thinline style natural wood body.

Any other basses I should be looking at, the Fender Telecaster bases look quite nice? I'd like to keep to squier budget but could stretch a bit.

Would love people's thoughts!

I think you're going to fit right in here. 

There are a whole bunch of basses which fit your wish list, deciding which one(s) you want is part of the fun.

Personally I'd be looking at the G&L Tribute range - affordable quality. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d suggest the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Precision from your description above.

That is where I'm looking at the moment, or the Mike Dirnt Squier. I'd prefer a satin neck and rosewood fingerboard, if possible.

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

How about this?

That is lovely and the pictures hoarded for inspiration. Very Dusty Hill, i kinda want a simple 1 pickup bass.

As has this one:

On 21/07/2018 at 13:00, Bridgehouse said:

Noted @The Guitar Weasel

Found some screws and some foam with a couple of springs. Fitted just perfectly. 

Popped on the back cover and so that leaves just the string tree (still in the post!) to fit.

I will set it up and set Pickup height later on this evening and give an initial report. I have a plan for sound samples but you might have to be a touch more patient with this..

Doesn’t look too shabby huh?

oWPLjCj.jpg

S9IVUeB.jpg

I do love the classy wood look of that. I'm thinking an Alder booboo reject body and plane the top down chamber and cap it in something pretty bet not silly money like zebrano, a spalted top with binding would look superb!

The snob in me is fine paying £250 for a Squire logo on the headstock. But £500 I'd like to see an F on there, even if it Chinese built.

Edit: also anything modified, like both of those, I would like to do the work myself, so its 'mine' if you know what I mean.

Edited by BillB

10 hours ago, BillB said:

Anyone know how the fat pole roswell pickup compares to the Squire?

I'd hesitate to say "better", it's a slightly different flavour.

I've a thing for single coil P-basses and Tele style pegheads.  It was the Harley Benton PB-50 sent me down this path 🙂 

51stylept2.thumb.jpg.f8f7edc9f4924f46cdbbc7abbb623168.jpgDSC_0073.JPG.8e45322df8dfcc9eb77e94377147c920.JPG

51stylept1.thumb.jpg.62381a84b01165a3495be1765db4c7f7.jpgPB50s.jpg.ba4675147c5a479a90773768aeab1263.jpg

The Roswell single coil is by no means a poor pickup, quite the opposite it's a very modern take on the design; big 'Quarter Pounder' slugs paired with a higher wire count. The original Fender had a low wire count, around 7k ohm, Roswell comes in at 9k.

Good news is the UK has very affordable options if you fancy a vintage spec replacements; Bloodstone, Toltec and Martin Harmer's White Label will all do a custom 51 single for £50 - £60

• Like 6

16 hours ago, BillB said:

That is where I'm looking at the moment, or the Mike Dirnt Squier. I'd prefer a satin neck and rosewood fingerboard, if possible.

Rosewood may be more difficult to find on a Tele/51 style bass neck. They are usually maple. You can make a gloss neck satin by rubbing down the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool, but do unbolt it from the instrument first to avoid covering the bass with fine steel fragments. You'll never get rid of them, especially from the pickup pole pieces, if you don't.

13 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Harley Benton PB50 £105, and a Headstock Trim Job... pdf template kicking about on here... plus a few mod job posts. Don't forget a set of those Harley Benton Flats at £15...

If I was any good with power tools I’d already have done this ⬆️ Always wondered about how good they are for the money 💰 

3 hours ago, meterman said:

Always wondered about how good they are for the money 💰 

If they were 3 - 4 times the price, i.e. Squier money, folk would be snapping them up while raving about amazing value and "how can they build them for so little cash.".

That's no wild claim nor attempt at humour.

I've been privileged to own some very good basses, TBH far too good for the likes of me; I class Thomann's PB-50 as a good bass.

They were £78 when I bought my first and I must confess I went into the purchase with a snob's mindset, fully expected to return it instantly then jump on the internet slagging it off to all and sundry.

I was wrong !

Out of the box I had a sense of disbelief something looking and feeling that nice could cost so little, that disbelief stayed with me through plugging in and playing. Shortly afterwards I was thinking TI jazz flats or tapes, it got tapes. Few weeks passed, another was purchased along with a set of TI's.

Almost 10 years later, the Pb-50s are always close to hand while my Fenders mostly collect dust.

• Thanks 1

So.... might have bought a Harley Benton PB-50. Picking it up tomorrow. Every intention of turning it onto a project, fenderifying the headstock and something funky with the body and paint.

And learn to play it!

Edit: Also, I came into this looking at spending £250ish on a squier possibly double to consider MiM Fender Ps. And I've spent £60, in all my years on various forums when you ask for advice with a budget, it only ever goes one way by the time you get to a purchase. 

Edited by BillB
  • Like 3

Woo Hoo... Interested in trying Budget Flats?

Olympia , pretty sure same as the Harley B's - I've got these on a few. Stainless if needed for Nicle Allergy etc - I'd start @ £15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332486029353

Adagio's - i've got these on Elec and an Acoustic.. Nickel @ £17

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391406483377

Edited by PaulThePlug

On 29/07/2023 at 09:38, kodiakblair said:

I'd hesitate to say "better", it's a slightly different flavour.

I've a thing for single coil P-basses and Tele style pegheads.  It was the Harley Benton PB-50 sent me down this path 🙂 

51stylept2.thumb.jpg.f8f7edc9f4924f46cdbbc7abbb623168.jpgDSC_0073.JPG.8e45322df8dfcc9eb77e94377147c920.JPG

51stylept1.thumb.jpg.62381a84b01165a3495be1765db4c7f7.jpgPB50s.jpg.ba4675147c5a479a90773768aeab1263.jpg

The Roswell single coil is by no means a poor pickup, quite the opposite it's a very modern take on the design; big 'Quarter Pounder' slugs paired with a higher wire count. The original Fender had a low wire count, around 7k ohm, Roswell comes in at 9k.

Good news is the UK has very affordable options if you fancy a vintage spec replacements; Bloodstone, Toltec and Martin Harmer's White Label will all do a custom 51 single for £50 - £60

I'm catching you up...

20230726_171336.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Woo Hoo... Interested in trying Budget Flats?

Olympia , pretty sure same as the Harley B's - I've got these on a few. Stainless if needed for Nicle Allergy etc - I'd start @ £15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332486029353

Adagio's - i've got these on Elec and an Acoustic.. Nickel @ £17

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391406483377

might well give a set of the nickel ones a go. 

18 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Olympia , pretty sure same as the Harley B's

Seller gets 10 out 10 for clearly explaining the string length 👍

2 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

The one on the right... oh yeah!

You've excellent taste Paul, that one caught my fancy too 😁