Why become a member? ×

What distortion/other effect is on this bass line?

Clarky

8 hours ago, Clarky said:

Because bassist has left. I am auditioning

Well, ask his bandmates, they might know, or be able to get you in contact with the former bass player.

My best bet though is some kind of RAT based pedal mixed with clean signal and compression, also probably a Turbo variant of a RAT will get you closest.

The MXR M85 Bass Distortion, which is indeed based on a RAT, and does in fact feature both a silicon diode clipping classic RAT mode, and a LED diode clipping Turbo RAT mode, as well as allowing you to blend in clean signal, might be able to get you in the approximate same ballpark.

Be aware though that the song in that video was produced and mixed in a studio, so I think it is pretty safe to assume a lot more is going on than just that, most certainly a separate clean and distorted bass track, each processed individually with compression and various equalization, and that the bass player with all possible likelihood didn't actually sound exactly like that when playing live, heck for all I know the actual distortion on that track might very well be a VST effect.

But as said, to me it sounds very RAT like with clean signal blended in, so that is what I would aim at, if the band can't be of any help to you.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Lots of clean if a RAT is involved!

Sounds like distortion only applied to higher mids and up so a crossover distortion blend situation would be my guess. It wouldn't much matter what overdrive you used if you did that.

Seems like you missed the main essence of my initial reply.

I also disagree that it wouldn't matter which distortion is used, the character of that distortion is very much RAT like, and very pronounced and defining for that tone, as far as I am concerned, and probably a Turbo RAT to be more specific, not every distortion sounds really dirty, grainy and raspy like that, I'd say using the right distortion pedal is quite crucial to get the general vibe of that bass tone.

I agree though, as I also already said, that there is definitely much more going on than simply mixing in clean signal, definitely two separate bass tracks, a clean and a distorted one, that each has been individually compressed and EQ'ed (yes, I did actually write that in my initial reply, that somehow you boiled down to just "mixed with clean signal", I think missing my point entirely).

On the other hand that is extremely likely just to be a studio post production thing, which the song of that video very much is, and chances are that live it might very well had been as simple as just a Turbo RAT blended with clean signal, also a signal put through a RAT would actually handle some of the distortion specific EQ profile of that recording automatically, even if I do think, among other stuff, that some LPF might have been applied to the clean signal, post production, I also hear much more than just the high mids affected by the distortion, definitely not your typically fizzy top end polished Darkglass distortion laying on top of a clean signal here, much more grunty and dirty than that, and somewhat more full range as well, the clean signal however to me does also sound somewhat mid scooped, which might be what you hear as the distortion being specifically focused in the high mids, but again that too would very much be a post production processing studio thing.

• Thanks 1

As has  even said above, you're probrably hearing some 'studio magic' on the bass so emulating it exactly could be tough. If it were me, I'd try and get something similar to get the vibe, but not sweat copying it exactly. Some kind of blended distortion would suffice IMHO.

At an audition I'd be focusing on my playing (and showing the charming, erudite and stunningly good looking chap I am :) )...not so much on getting the exact tone.

Good luck - hope it goes well ! Do let us know how it goes.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, I am not spending on a pedal(s) unless I actually get the role ... but am being an optimist with this thread! For the audition, I will use my EBS Valvedrive with the gain right up ... oh and - as advised - be witty, charming, erudite etc 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Seems like you missed the main essence of my initial reply.

I also disagree that it wouldn't matter which distortion is used, the character of that distortion is very much RAT like, and very pronounced and defining for that tone, as far as I am concerned, and probably a Turbo RAT to be more specific, not every distortion sounds really dirty, grainy and raspy like that, I'd say it's quite crucial to get the general vibe of that bass tone.

I agree though, as I also already said, that there is definitely much more going on than simply mixing in clean signal, definitely two separate bass tracks, a clean and a distorted one, that each has been individually compressed and EQ'ed (yes, I did actually write that in my initial reply, that somehow you boiled down to just "mixed with clean signal", I think missing my point entirely).

On the other hand that is extremely likely just to be a studio post production thing, which the song of that video very much is, and chances are that live it might very well just had been as simple as a Turbo RAT blended with clean signal, also a signal put through a RAT would actually handle some of the distortion specific EQ profile of that recording automatically, even if I do think, among other stuff, that some LPF might have been applied to the clean signal, post production, I also hear much more than just the high mids affected by the distortion, definitely not your typically fizzy top end polished Darkglass distortion laying on top of a clean signal here, much more grunty and dirty than that, and somewhat more full range as well, the clean signal however to me does also sound somewhat mid scooped, which might be what you hear as the distortion being specifically focused in the high mids, but again that would very much be a post production studio processing thing.

You missed the thust of my post which was how to achieve the tone with pedals at the audition!

49 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Indeed, I am not spending on a pedal(s) unless I actually get the role ... but am being an optimist with this thread! For the audition, I will use my EBS Valvedrive with the gain right up ... oh and - as advised - be witty, charming, erudite etc 😀

Do you have a blender? Or a crossover unit? Or a multiple input blending gizmo of any description? Preferably got something with a phase switch like a DB preamp?

You really have to keep your lows intact to get anything resembling the recording.

There's probably someone close enough to you that would lend you some kit for the audition.

Shopping list: blender with phase switch, crossover that works with your intial preamp out level. Piece of cake.

• Like 1

Youtube has live footage of The Insect, probably best to work off that but keeps a bit of yourself in it as well. Also photos on the Facebook page show the bassist with what looks like a large multi effects pedal.

Good look with audition. I wouldn't be surprised if we cross paths at some point. 

Edited by 2elliot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I've just been updating Hurtsfall gigs on the Goth Calendar, and it looks as though The InSect have a lot of gigs coming up, so if you get the place you are going to be pretty busy.

@2elliot which band are you in?

The Golden Age Of Nothing. We've had to cancel a few gigs over the last couple of month as our singer/guitarist hit a tree when downhill mountain biking and broke his collar bone.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks! I see we nearly did a gig in Wakefield with you, but had to cancel as I was on holiday. 

Aye, unfortunately that one and Nottingham had to be cancelled due to our Kamikaze front man. Maybe catch you at some point. 

5 hours ago, Clarky said:

Well I got the gig (had to learn 11 original songs) and the guitarist told me that the effect in the OP was some sort of Big Muff

Congratulations. :i-m_so_happy:

And guess I was wrong then about it being a RAT.

In any case using a high gain distortion/fuzz with clean blend, or getting something like the Boss LS-2 or similar that allows for blending any pedal with clean signal, might be a good idea going forward for the distorted parts.

And even if it turned out to originally be a Big Muff I still think something like the RAT based MXR M85 Bass Distortion, as I suggested in my initial reply, would do well for this sort of thing.

• Thanks 1