Why become a member? ×

What's on Your Shopping List?

Linus27

11 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Like very much. Always have, hence owning so many. Just stopped playing because other reasons life death grief etc but I’m downsizing and trying to whittle down, up until joining this place sometime in the 00s I’d happily and was quite content owning 2 basses….. currently something like 20. 

Ahhh, so you idolise warwicks, right ?

I currently have GAS for another electro acoustic bass. Got fed up with my 34” scale Washburn -

nowt wrong with it , just a bit too big on some of my acoustic duo gigs. Got myself an Ibanez 

25” scale bass which I love, but now looking at something in between - maybe Guild, who do

a 31” scale electro acoustic or something similar.  Maybe it will pass……

I have everything I need to play the gigs I anticipate in the next 6-12 months. However...

Having recently been using my Ibanez EHB1000s at gigs, I really like the sound and design and quite fancy one of the long scale models. The EHB1500 series is rather nice. I've also been thinking that to complete the line-up, it would be good to have a semi-acoustic bass. And for some strange reason I've been gassing after a Telecaster style guitar - I occasionally play guitar on one or two numbers and have depped on guitar with a mate in the past.

I'm always on the lookout for interesting pedals but nothing specific come to mind.  

At the moment I`m gassing for a Epi T bird vintage pro. Even though I have owned a few T birds in the past and I`m not keen on the way they hang on me. But just got a smallish tax rebate and they look so damm cool so maybe I will give into temptation!

I've been thinking about scratching a life long itch and getting Gibson Firebird skinny stringer.

Although Gibson seem not to be making a Standard model at the moment, it's all Custom Shop vintage reissues and Murphy Lab stuff which seems to start at about 5k which is 2-3 times more than I want to pay.

I'll keep checking reverb but ideally, having never actually played one, I'd want to try before I buy, just in case we don't get on.

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

I've been thinking about scratching a life long itch and getting Gibson Firebird skinny stringer.

Although Gibson seem not to be making a Standard model at the moment, it's all Custom Shop vintage reissues and Murphy Lab stuff which seems to start at about 5k which is 2-3 times more than I want to pay.

I'll keep checking reverb but ideally, having never actually played one, I'd want to try before I buy, just in case we don't get on.

Don't waste your time on Gipson sg bass - vintage or reissue - it's $hit.

1 minute ago, Jackroadkill said:

Hmmm, Let's see:

A van (my old one gave up the ghost a few months back)

A 450 - 500w 2x10 cab

A 34" Telecaster bass

Of those the van would be the most useful, followed by the cab.  I don't need another bass but I do fancy T-style instruments.

Hmm...interesting....T-style. Is it something like Q-style or i am absolutely wrong ?

I have very little need for anything... but that's no fun, so:

- Barefaced Super Twin (no tweeter) already posted in the 'Items Wanted' section

- a short scale fretless: there's an ACG on Reverb I can't afford, but I've also considered buying the bits from Warmoth and putting it together myself for about half the price

- Sandberg Lionel/Florence bass

- an original Brassmaster

- Musicman BH-500 amp (basically a MarkBass Casa without the branding)

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I would still love a Gibson Firebird VII - played one once, was pretty good but fair to say the vibrato is more aesthetic than useful!

And a fender FSR Japan Flip flop.

Not sure if there are any basses I want at the moment, but that changes rapidly.

Micromonster synth box. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Ah yeah now you have said it 

OK, fair enough; I've not found a picture of a reggae bassist playing an SG bass. Maybe because they're sh... No, Shirley not..! Others think that they're at least 'OK'; folk like...

John Entwistle...

Andy Fraser...

Phil Lesh...

Kim Gordon...

Jack Bruce...

... but maybe they know nothing, of course. -_-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

John Entwistle...

Andy Fraser...

Phil Lesh...

Kim Gordon...

Jack Bruce...

... but maybe they know nothing, of course. -_-

Clearly over half of them know nothing - you can ask them all you want.

39 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

You got me there , I’m not listening to you anymore 😁

Why do you believe him over me? Ask 100 people in the street, I bet more people agree with me!

2 hours ago, Cato said:

I’ve always loved the aesthetic of Firebirds, and it was the first decent guitar I bought in the late 70’s.

I loved hearing players like Johnny Winter, Clapton and Phil Manzanera get great sounds from them.

I would seriously suggest you try one out for an extensive demo as they are a strange thing. I couldn’t

get on with the way they sit on your strap/body when playing standing up. Mine always felt it was

too far to the left most of the time i.e. my fretting hand was at full stretch way too often. I remember

reaching for the top E tuner was a struggle unless you pulled the guitar more vertical. Rather neck heavy

too, so need a good strap. If you’re not sure about jumping straight in for a Gibson, the recent Epiphone

reissues are well regarded and a fraction of the price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

If you’re not sure about jumping straight in for a Gibson, the recent Epiphone

reissues are well regarded and a fraction of the price.

I've heard that they can feel a bit weird and take a bit of gettting used to

The Epiphone suggestion is a good idea, I might try one in a shop to test how likely I am to get on with a full fat version that I may have to buy unseen.

• Like 2