Why become a member? ×

Strange pre-gig feelings

EssexBuccaneer

I wonder if anyone is familiar with what my band are feeling at the moment. 

We’re making our debut in Ipswich, at the Rock against leukaemia bash in August. Our set is ready, we know our stuff inside out. We think we sound pretty decent in rehearsal and have had good feedback on socials and from friends, family, work colleagues etc (not exactly unbiased sources though!)

But until we hit the stage in front of an audience for the first time, we have no idea if we’re actually up to scratch. It’s a really mindblowing and frankly nerve-wracking sensation.

• Like 3

Try no to overthink it, some people will like what you do and some probably won't, you can't please everyone.

Sounds like you're ready to unleash the band on the public!! Whats the name of your band?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Our set is ready, we know our stuff inside out.

That`s all you need, you`re as prepared as you can be, whether or not people like the material or not is their choice/likes but you know you`re going to deliver it properly.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

But until we hit the stage in front of an audience for the first time, we have no idea if we’re actually up to scratch. It’s a really mindblowing and frankly nerve-wracking sensation.

Yep, but there is nothing you can do about it. As long as you know you can actually do it you should be fine. I have hit the stage several times not knowing that we were up to scratch!

• Like 1

Remember, when you're performing everyone in the audience wants to see you do well, as they want to be entertained. Relax and look out at your supporters. A few slips with an occasional smile from the performers can actually help audiences interact with your act. Have a good time and let us all know how well you do.

Edited by MuddBass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I feel exactly the same way before any gig. No matter how many I do it always fills me with a sense of dread. I envy people who love performing. I hate it! 

I love performing, but if I get time before a gig I have - not exactly a sense of dread, but an unease, especially if it is somewhere i haven't played before. If I can keep busy I don't get it, otherwise it can get quite bad.

• Like 1

I try and make sure that all the things that I have control over are all present and correct. I know my band is well-rehearsed.  I know my bass is working and I have a spare, I know my amp is up to the job, with a DI box handy just in case. I've got a couple of cheat sheets close to me for those songs where I might struggle with a particular passage. Of course, I can't legislate for the 300lb, over-refreshed idiot falling into the PA, or a random brain-fart that causes me to forget the lyrics to the chorus of "We Will Rock You," but if I know I've done all I can in terms of preparation, it makes me feel a lot more confident and comfortable.

Also, know your limitations regarding booze (or whatever stimulant takes your fancy.) After a few too many pints of Dutch Courage, one of two things will happen: you might "think" you're playing in the pocket when you're actually playing as if you're recovering from some recent physical trauma. Option two is even worse - you'll be distracted, forget stuff and your muscle memory starts to suffer with Alzheimers, leaving you prodding hopelessly at whatever you're holding in your hand.

Having said that, I love playing live. I don't care if it's a big crowd, a small crowd or even no crowd, it's the reason I play bass.

Good luck!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

We’re making our debut in Ipswich, at the Rock against leukaemia bash in August. Our set is ready, we know our stuff inside out. We think we sound pretty decent in rehearsal and have had good feedback on socials and from friends, family, work colleagues etc (not exactly unbiased sources though!)

Nervousness before a gig is good, it means you're not complacent. I rarely get nervous these days, because I've played whatever set I'm playing that night, a million times (and am probably a bit complacent).

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

My band were in a similar situation where after a line up change (me and the drummer) our first gig in 2022 was to headline a local festival in front of 2000+ paying punters! This tends to focus the mind 🤣 Are there any local band jams you can go along to and play 2 or 3 tunes? We did this and because there was no pressure we were able to play, enjoy ourselves and most of all realise that as a group we were ready to do the big gig. A couple of mistakes were made, none of them critical or life threatening and it just helped us focus on a some areas we needed to improve.

You seem to be prepared and rehearsed musically so I dont see that being a problem. As @rushbo says have a think about what can go wrong mechanically eg: your cable fails, string breaks and think of alternatives (but dont overthink the problems 😉). If something does happen on the day you've got a solution already in your head. We played the same festival again this year and 2nd song in my wireless decided not to work. It took me max 30 seconds to unhook the wireless and run a cable I had ready. Minimal disruption and one of the guitarists hadn't noticed until he saw the video several days later!

8 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

the audience will be completely on your side, really. make sure your first song is one you know best so you can all steady your nerves. Part of being in a band is that you share these feelings and it is one for all and all for one. Try and smile at the other band members it'll make them feel better and you will feel it too.

The whole experience is going to flash by once you start and once you've finished you'll want more, just like a scary fairground ride

• Like 2

You can rehearse until you are blue in the face, but the best way to get better, you and the band, is to gig as much as you can.

You will hear all the bad notes and the audience will hear all the good notes.

Just make a mental list for the next rehearsal and enjoy the gig.

• Like 1