Why become a member? ×

Tony James Generation Sex

Mike Bungo

10 minutes ago, rushbo said:

This whole thread has been brilliant fun. I think Mr James should peel off the sticker and embrace the cheapness! 

If it's glued on like mine he's no chance lol. I wonder if he's chosen it or it's been given too him

• Like 1

G4M Bass.
And here’s me been hunting round for what seems centuries, for a lightweight 24 fret P/J back up for a certain project. Seems my search maybe over. At £129 it’s got to be worth a shot. It will probably never be used anyway.

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 22:14, kodiakblair said:

Doesn't appear to have a logo.

image.png.0a445aeaeaaf2ca5a57c7d4bda98f3b7.png

At first I thought he had a 4 ace card sticker but now I'm seeing somebody's face; could be my painkillers taking effect 😄

It's Ronnie O'Sullivan the snooker player :)

Hey kids!

Like Tony James?

Like cheap but great-sounding basses?

Scared of being picked on by the cool kids when you play them at gigs?

Never heard of Ronnie O'Sullivan?

...then oh boy, do we have the waterslide decal for you...

G4Mwhite.thumb.jpg.3722d3764e90eaeecfc8cf9f156e8f96.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2023 at 10:05, Mike Bungo said:

I’ve ordered one at £129 😳😂 it looks the exact same to me and maybe why he didn’t admit to what it was… 

I’ve just got one from the local Cash Generator for £59.99. Can’t wait to pick it up tomorrow! 😁

• Like 2

On 12/07/2023 at 16:51, Mike Bungo said:

Hi

This is Tony James who's playing with Generation Sex........ Can any one tell me what this bass is because being played through a full stack Ampeg

last night I've gotta say it sounded fabulous. Thanks Mike

Tony James.JPG

Is that Freddie Starr in the background? :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Put some flats on it. The frets on these are soft and wear very easily! And as it's from CG, some antibacterial wipes won't hurt 😂

Got it! A good scrub with a wire brush and dettol sorted it. Smells lovely now 😂 Strings surprisingly ok. A bit of a neglected bass I must say but at under £60 with a gigbag…

Guide stickers on the neck (came off really easily) High action. Took it as low as it would possibly go at the bridge and still too high. Ummmm. Adjusted the truss rod as far as I felt I should. It would have gone further but I thought no, I’ll not push it. It was still a bit high for my liking so I shimmed it. Now it’s perfect for my taste. I even had to raise the bridge a bit (which I wanted really as the saddles were literally sitting on the bridge plate). 

The bridge plate actually looks a bit bent, which might account for the action. You might be able to see it in the pictures.

The neck is definitely more chunky-ish Precision feel. I would have liked Jazz but I knew it said Precision before I bought it. It plays quite nicely though. No sharp edges

The tuners will need replacing. They are shoddy. If these are an example of what they become over time, change yours if you get the chance. Some are slack one is really tight. One is wobbly. 

No neck dive to speak of on this one. Maybe a tad but certainly not as issue for me. Lovely and light. 
Can’t knock the sound either. I’ve only had it through the home studio setup but it sounded well through there. I’ll get it through my rig at rehearsals next week. If it lacks in the sound department, I’ve got a Yammy P/J pup setup that would sit nicely in there anyway.

I’d definitely gig with it if needs be. It’s not the best thing since sliced bread. It’s a cheap more than capable tool and great value for money. 

That’s my spare sorted!

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

Edited by itsmedunc

• 3 weeks later...