Why become a member? ×

Tony James Generation Sex

Mike Bungo

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I always found that even with more modern cabs with better dispersion I could only hear myself from my rig when I was stood directly in front of it. Fine if your the sort of musician who never moves about on stage, but for me the whole point of a big stage is to be able to throw some proper "shapes". With foldback I've been lost the moment I stepped away from my rig.

Well I suppose because we weren’t that bothered about instruments in the monitors it made hearing the actual instruments/amps on stage easier.

But re moving about, well yes you do get a sweet spot where everything is clear/massive as opposed to when moving to other places on a big stage but that never concerned me as the benefit of the 810 thing was that unless directly in front of the guitar speakers it could be heard pretty much wherever on stage I went. Set amp volume to that of the kit and enjoy the gig. 

1 hour ago, rushbo said:

I would absolutely love it to be a G4M. As Geddy's Nose said earlier in the thread - that would be proper Punk Rock.

Picture3.thumb.png.2165b474ec2468a350165223477ab546.png

I messaged Tony this morning and he told me it's a Japanese bass but didn't say what make..... lol! I have asked him again 

• Like 1

Like many, I watched the Glastonbury performance with a degree of horror.  Trainwreck stuff.  Bass out of tune for a lot of it, they were under-rehearsed and it was a struggle.  You'd think standing in front of 16 10" speakers he'd have heard things had gone awry.

TJ's choice of bass did surprise me, especially as he's been using a Rickenbacker elsewhere (uncertain whether it's his original Generation X one); I too would love it if it was a Gear 4 Music one, the similarities are evident.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Like many, I watched the Glastonbury performance with a degree of horror.  Trainwreck stuff.  Bass out of tune for a lot of it, they were under-rehearsed and it was a struggle.  You'd think standing in front of 16 10" speakers he'd have heard things had gone awry.

I didnt really hear the bass much in that, seemed very low down in the mix, but to be fair I can't imagine that had I heard the bass and it had been good it would have improved anything much. Didn't see that much of it, and the bit we saw was just for its comedy value. There is such a thing as bad publicity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2023 at 14:49, rushbo said:

I would absolutely love it to be a G4M. As Geddy's Nose said earlier in the thread - that would be proper Punk Rock.

Picture3.thumb.png.2165b474ec2468a350165223477ab546.png

I’ve ordered one at £129 😳😂 it looks the exact same to me and maybe why he didn’t admit to what it was… 

10 hours ago, Mike Bungo said:

I’ve ordered one at £129 😳😂 it looks the exact same to me and maybe why he didn’t admit to what it was… 

Bargain price for a signature model. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It’s arrived. I’ve restrung it (Fender 9050 flats) after adding my Ronnie O’Sullivan pic and it’s all set up with a newly oiled fret board. Guys I’m kinda blown away with this guitar for £129. It’s light, the frets are all rounded off and plugged into my Sansamp RBI it sounds incredible and really Punky. I get why Tony James has chosen this bass to tour with Generation X now. I’ve got some racing stripes on the way and the only thing I’m gonna change are the tuners for a set of Gotoh’s just to have a bit of stability. I own a Ricky, a Nate Mendel and several other bass guitars but I’m gigging this thing tomorrow night and here’s to many more nights with it for a bit of fun. I don’t know what pickups are in this but wow for the money 👏👌👍😂

IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

IMG_6837.jpeg

IMG_6839.jpeg

Edited by Mike Bungo
  • Like 5

On 30/07/2023 at 10:05, Mike Bungo said:

It absolutely is a G4M!!!! I love it :)

Totally is a G4M he's playing. Maybe he doesn't remember the brand & just assumes it's MIJ because cheapo basses used to be Japanese back when he were a lad.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 19:54, Woodinblack said:

Some kind of shecter or something from the headstock? I doubt you would be able to tell the difference from one to the other on stage.

It's actually a Gear4Music Chicago which sells at £129!!!! I kid you not :) I've bought one, restrung it and set it up and its a bit of a gem.... I play punk and used it through a TH500 into 2 TC Electronic RS112's and it sounded mint! My 4003 & my Nate Mendle are getting shelved for a while lol..... Ive added the Ronnie O'Sullivan headstock pic and it now has the racing stripes on it

CaptureTJ Headstock.JPG

CaptureTJ.JPG

CaptureTJ Body.JPG

On 12/07/2023 at 22:14, kodiakblair said:

Doesn't appear to have a logo.

image.png.0a445aeaeaaf2ca5a57c7d4bda98f3b7.png

At first I thought he had a 4 ace card sticker but now I'm seeing somebody's face; could be my painkillers taking effect 😄

It is a Gear4Music Chicago long scale and the Ronnie O'Sullivan face pic is covering up the logo. I've bought one and as cheap as it it it's actually great! I gigged with it on Friday and left my Ricky in it's case...... It sounded mint :)

• Like 2

On 12/07/2023 at 16:51, Mike Bungo said:

Hi

This is Tony James who's playing with Generation Sex........ Can any one tell me what this bass is because being played through a full stack Ampeg

last night I've gotta say it sounded fabulous. Thanks Mike

Tony James.JPG

When he was in (founded) Sigue sigue sputnik he played “space guitar”  my maybe its that 😉 

he always used to play a Thunderbird in the Original generation X and when he played with Sisters of Mercy. 

46 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

he always used to play a Thunderbird in the Original generation X and when he played with Sisters of Mercy. 

He also used a couple of Eldritch's WAL Customs, one being a MIDI version, during his time in the Sisters.

On 12/07/2023 at 22:14, kodiakblair said:

Doesn't appear to have a logo.

image.png.0a445aeaeaaf2ca5a57c7d4bda98f3b7.png

At first I thought he had a 4 ace card sticker but now I'm seeing somebody's face; could be my painkillers taking effect 😄

It is a Gear4Music Chicago long scale and the Ronnie O'Sullivan face pic is covering up the logo. I've bought one and as cheap as it it it's actually great! I gigged with it on Friday and left my Ricky in it's case...... It sounded mint :)

13 hours ago, Rollin Thunder said:

When he was in (founded) Sigue sigue sputnik he played “space guitar”  my maybe its that 😉 

In SSS, he used a Roland G-707:

LANDMARKS_GettyImages-557689897-801x1024

In Generation X, he was pretty synonymous with a Rickenbacker 4001/4003 (which he still uses):

billy-idol-podcast-birth-of-punk.jpg?w=1

There's a couple of photos of him using a Thunderbird (this is with Sham69):

tony-james-of-generation-x-plays-bass-wi

• Like 1