Why become a member? ×

Fender 32” P bass. Why isn’t it a thing?

RikiB

I got a 32” Fender MIJ Awrodyne bass and totally love the scale length for me as I’m a shorty and looks less ridiculous on me than my 2 P basses do.

Fender do 30” Mustang basses which are a bit too small and feels off playing rock on one. But why is there a made in Mexico 32” scale with the body size reduced 6% like the Japan bass?

surely they would sell after people played them and realised it’s best of both worlds playing a medium scale bass.

It’s frustrating to me because I prefer P.

Japan did a few Jazz Bass 62 Medium scales and a few Aerodynes like I have but no MIM or MIA. What’s up with that?

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

At a Bass Bash a good few years back there was a 32” Maruszczyk Precision and it played really nice.

I like Maruszczyk basses (I have 2 Elwoods and have owned a Jake), but the lower horn and scratchplate aways look overly bulbous to me, if they sharpened those contours up, just a touch, it'd be a winner.

• Like 1

I had a Squier 32" scale P bass, MIJ, absolutely fantastic bass.  Should never, ever, have sold it.  I wonder where it is now? 

Here alongside a 32" scale Aria Pro II CSB 'Black n Gold' in museum piece condition which I probably shouldn't have sold.  I bought another, sold that, too.

P1000808.thumb.JPG.14010c8d65abde96ca42ac3195eb1a32.JPGP1000818.thumb.JPG.edbf054abd37eb6fd81ae553f4f207e3.JPG

On the strength of the white one I imported a black 32" Squier P from Japan.  It was nice, but not as nice as the white one.

medP1.thumb.jpg.9d12ec177f215d0ddb513105cae3ed6e.jpg

I did get a Fender one, too - a 32" scale Jazz Bass Special.  Again, imported it from Japan.  Don't recall why I sold this one.

DSC06896.thumb.JPG.eba69babbecafe4a372e936b237af55a.JPG

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Why not escape brand slavery and try other brands who do make 32" P basses?

Happy to move away from the big F, but other than Maruszczyk, I’m not aware of anyone else. Happy to be educated 👍 :) 

Had a look at Maruszczyk and not really digging them.

Just want a P bass,32” scale,body a little bit smaller to match reduced length.

Im sure they would sell all of them and great for bassists starting out who don’t want a Mustang from their range.

or make a 32” mustang even. 

17 hours ago, Paul S said:

I had a Squier 32" scale P bass, MIJ, absolutely fantastic bass.  Should never, ever, have sold it.  I wonder where it is now? 

Here alongside a 32" scale Aria Pro II CSB 'Black n Gold' in museum piece condition which I probably shouldn't have sold.  I bought another, sold that, too.

P1000808.thumb.JPG.14010c8d65abde96ca42ac3195eb1a32.JPGP1000818.thumb.JPG.edbf054abd37eb6fd81ae553f4f207e3.JPG

On the strength of the white one I imported a black 32" Squier P from Japan.  It was nice, but not as nice as the white one.

medP1.thumb.jpg.9d12ec177f215d0ddb513105cae3ed6e.jpg

I did get a Fender one, too - a 32" scale Jazz Bass Special.  Again, imported it from Japan.  Don't recall why I sold this one.

DSC06896.thumb.JPG.eba69babbecafe4a372e936b237af55a.JPG

I had that Precision for a while and I also regret selling it, I got it from the guy you sold it to, I have a Squier JV 32" Jazz and mistakenly decided to keep that instead. I sold the P to @therealting who I imagine still has it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

image.png.fef71f07f8c774036178d8803c1d481e.png

Just got this and a friend was playing it the other day, he played it 5 minutes before I told him it was 32" not 34"

Now this Jake doesn’t do the bulbous lower horn and pickguard the way others do. Nice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rumple said:

I had that Precision for a while and I also regret selling it, I got it from the guy you sold it to, I have a Squier JV 32" Jazz and mistakenly decided to keep that instead. I sold the P to @therealting who I imagine still has it.

I do indeed still have it. It serves me very well on days when my hands need a break from playing long scale!

Still have the Jazz too, did I get that from you as well?

Edited by therealting
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, therealting said:

I do indeed still have it. It serves me very well on days when my hands need a break from playing long scale!

If you decide to move it on at some point I'd be interested. Save you all the bother of pictures and listings and wot not. 

I know, what a guy 😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, therealting said:

I believe you did indeed have my sunburst Fender 32" scale Jazz as well 🙂

• Like 1