Why become a member? ×

Anyone gig with a 2 x 10??

Linus27

Pretty much made up my mind to buy an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II head but still not sure on what speaker to buy. The ABM 4 x 10 sounded really nice but the ABM 2 x 10 would be great due to the smaller size and weight. My concern with the 2 x 10 is as its so much lower to the ground, I'm worried the sound would be a little lost when onstage.

Just wondering if anyone gigs with a 2 x 10 and how they get on with it? Do they find the sound gets a little lost with the speaker being so low to the ground? Is it ok to turn the speaker 90 degrees so its taller.

I own a MAG 300H head and MAG 2 x 10 cab but have never gigged them so I don't even know myself :)

Edited by Linus27

I use a Markbass 2x10 combo sitting vertically (as recommended by Alexclaber & BFM) & have no problems being heard at gigs & have a very ample ammount of depth to the sound. I'm tempted to add an ext cab but I don't really need one just now.

So the answer is Yes, you can turn the cab 90 degrees (& it'll probably sound better). It depends on how everything is eq'd that depends if you'll get lost in the mix.

Methinks IMHO it depends on your band set up an style of music,,,,,

I played in a band for years which did small to medium venues, the Bass DI,d through the PA,,, and a pretty sensible drummer...

I mainly put an SWR redhead on the floor (2x10) and rarely had it turned up above 3,,, I personally was chuffed to f*** and recieved many many compliments.

If ya play with animals tho........ :) as an onstage monitor and great DI for the pa its a great set up..

:rolleyes:

i stood my abm 2x10 on end on top of an old 1x15 cab and it sounded better than the conventional way.my 2x10 is the new model with black square handles.so dont now if a older one could be stacked on end.i would say that imho a 2x10 abm cab will not be enough on its own,certainly not for me anyway.have you seen the deal at soundslive?mag 600w amp with ashdown classic 2x10 500w neo cab £700.bigger cab with neo drivers that should be enough on its own.i am thinking of getting the classic 2x10 to go with my abm head so im hoping it will do the job!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='478322' date='May 3 2009, 04:42 PM']Have a careful look at the ABM 2x10 if you want to stack vertically, 'cos on the combo & cab I had the handles stood way proud. This would make it hard to stack 2, even with feet stuck on. Try it if you can.[/quote]

MB1. :)
"Broad sword calling Danny Boy!,Come in Danny Boy!....Sorry just noticed your Avatar John! :rolleyes:
I use a British Ashdown ABM 210T EVO 2 575 Combo...still got it!...Works for Me! :lol:.

I have a Mark bass 2x10 t and had a 1x15 t also and sold the 1x15 as I never needed the volume and the 2x10 sounded better. Needless to say I converted it (turned the badge around) so the 2x10 is vertical, as you can see here:

[attachment=24762:S5000363.JPG]

Brilliant response, "I will go with the 4x10"
4 ohm I hope?

I had a break from playing live for a couple of years before getting another amp, ABM C115 combo, 1x15.
Took it to an audition and it sounded great. Took it to a rehearsal with a different band and couldn't hear a thing.
At the audition, I had it on a case, slightly to the corner of the room and the people in the pub below complained about the bass being too loud.
Getting a good sound with small cabs is all about canny eq ing and placement of cab.

But then, you all know that anyway.

[quote name='Linus27' post='478405' date='May 3 2009, 06:38 PM']Thanks guys, appreciate the help. looks liek a fair few are turning 2 x 10's on their side. If only Ashdown made a 2 x 12 or a 3 x 10 :) Anyway, I think I will go with the 4 x 10.[/quote]

Nice cabs they are, had one for a while :rolleyes:

They weigh a ton though, watch your back! :lol:

[quote name='ashevans09' post='478466' date='May 3 2009, 07:47 PM']Nice cabs they are, had one for a while :)

They weigh a ton though, watch your back! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, thats my only concern. 36kg for the Ashdown ABM 4 x 10. Still, if its going to be the best sound then I will have to put up with it. I think casters or a trolly may be required.

[quote name='Linus27' post='478475' date='May 3 2009, 08:00 PM']I think the Ashdown ABM 4 x 10 only comes as 8 ohms.[/quote]
they did a 4ohm 4x10 but stopped making them for some reason,so there are some about somewhere.i dont find mine too much trouble to lift about but yea it could be lighter.

I gigged a few times in pubs with just an ABM EVO II 500 and an ABM 210 (which Paul S is currently selling in the Market Place section) and I never had any problems. I elevated the cab with a few beer crates (how hard are they to get hold of now? It's all cardboard!) to nearer ear height and pointed it slightly towards my tub thumping buddy and it was fine.

Why not get two 210 cabs and then you don't have to lug around a 4x10 cab to smaller gigs and you have the benefit of getting the full 4 ohm power of your amp head when you use both?

Why not get two 210 cabs and then you don't have to lug around a 4x10 cab to smaller gigs and you have the benefit of getting the full 4 ohm power of your amp head when you use both?
[/quote]
+1.my abm 2x10 is up for sale at the moment on here and flea bay with a bargain starting price :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='478473' date='May 3 2009, 07:59 PM']Yeah, thats my only concern. [b]36kg[/b] for the Ashdown ABM 4 x 10. Still, if its going to be the best sound then I will have to put up with it. I think casters or a trolly may be required.[/quote]

If you're lucky, mine was 40kg :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='479086' date='May 4 2009, 04:23 PM']Did you check out Pete's LH500 then?

Alex[/quote]

No, I didn't in the end. I did not want to waste his time in the end as I was still trying to decide what to go for.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='479174' date='May 4 2009, 06:03 PM']So how did you manage to decide without trying it?

:rolleyes:

Alex[/quote]

HAHA rumbled :):)

It was more a case of sticking with what I know best. After trying in Andertons The Markbass Little Mark II, Warwick Profet, Ashdown ABM and Ashdown MAG back to back, I found the MAG (which I already own) sounded great and suited my tone but the ABM range was just so much more tonally and much more adjustable. So it is the perfect upgrade from the MAG. The Markbass just sounded horrible and very limiting tonally. The Warwick actually sounded pretty good but worse than my MAG. I think the Ashdown tone just really suits me. I am very fussy and struggle to get a nice tone out of the Stingray and so far the Ashdown tone has been the best. Saying that, I borrowed an Ashdown Little Giant and despite sounding very good, did not sound better than my MAG. It had less scope tonally.

So, yes I could try the Hartke but I thought it would be better to try some of the others out first rather than waste Paul's time. If the Ashdown ABM sounded no better or worse than my MAG then I would be trying the Hartke for sure. As it sounded better, then like I say, just sticking with what I know.

Edited by Linus27

I can get away with using a single Berg HS210 at a gig, but then I'm not fighting walls of Marshall 4x12s... I prefer to use two though - amongst other things the height really makes a difference.

When I do use a single, I stand it on it's end. It helps a little, I think.

[quote name='Linus27' post='479215' date='May 4 2009, 06:45 PM']HAHA rumbled :):)

It was more a case of sticking with what I know best. After trying in Andertons The Markbass Little Mark II, Warwick Profet, Ashdown ABM and Ashdown MAG back to back, I found the MAG (which I already own) sounded great and suited my tone but the ABM range was just so much more tonally and much more adjustable. So it is the perfect upgrade from the MAG. [b]The Markbass just sounded horrible and very limiting tonally[/b]. The Warwick actually sounded pretty good but worse than my MAG. I think the Ashdown tone just really suits me. I am very fussy and struggle to get a nice tone out of the Stingray and so far the Ashdown tone has been the best. Saying that, I borrowed an Ashdown Little Giant and despite sounding very good, did not sound better than my MAG. It had less scope tonally.

So, yes I could try the Hartke but I thought it would be better to try some of the others out first rather than waste Paul's time. If the Ashdown ABM sounded no better or worse than my MAG then I would be trying the Hartke for sure. As it sounded better, then like I say, just sticking with what I know.[/quote]

Errr how on earth did you manage to conclude that an LM II is tonally limiting????

Really I cannot imagine how you came to that conclusion. I expect the filters werent off, but maybe the amp was bust.

Honestly, I've never heard a better amp for my needs so to hear someone dismiss it like that is pretty weird to me, the eq section is super powerful, and the filters are a great solution to 90% of player's needs.

I'm certainly not trying to suggest you should all be using MB gear but I am interested to find out why you thought it was so poor, in what way was it tonally limited?

My son gigs with a Berg HT210 vertically, with an LH500 on top, works a treat.....

Edited by 51m0n