Why become a member? ×

With a neck-crack like that....

NikNik

For £200, maybe.

EDIT - nearly spat my tea out when I saw it had been listed as "very good (used)" condition on Reverb.  Are they high?  With a band name like Mammoth Weed Wizard B'stard, there's a fair chance, I guess...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, francisabear said:

Another Hagstrom neck crack here, I’m not sure how severe this would be…

Hagstrom HB-8

WTF is it with these fantasists?  "Small crack on back of neck", yet lists the condition as "Excellent (used)".  I think someone's applied some reverb to their brain.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, francisabear said:

How easily is this repairable?

That's major surgery, and it's unlikely the neck will ever be as strong again as it was when it left the factory. You'd never get back the money you'd have to spend to sort it properly.

Not impossible (check out some of the Gibson neck repairs on https://www.youtube.com/@twoodfrd), but if I were buying it (and I'm not!) I'd be looking to source a new neck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That's major surgery, and it's unlikely the neck will ever be as strong again as it was when it left the factory. You'd never get back the money you'd have to spend to sort it properly.

Not impossible (check out some of the Gibson neck repairs on https://www.youtube.com/@twoodfrd), but if I were buying it (and I'm not!) I'd be looking to source a new neck.

Correct.  I once saw a Taylor acoustic with such a crack, caused by continual tightening of the the truss rod to counteract an up-bowing neck. Unfixable. The guitar had to go to Taylor for a replacement neck.

13 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Yes but not at that price. That looks repairable.

Indeed it does. But I do wonder how long it's been like that.

I'd be hard-pressed offering them £150 for that. A bit of a nerve being coy about that crack.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Correct.  I once saw a Taylor acoustic with such a crack, caused by continual tightening of the the truss rod to counteract an up-bowing neck. Unfixable. The guitar had to go to Taylor for a replacement neck.

If the neck had an upward bow tightening the truss rod would have been the diametrical wrong way to go too, which would only had worsened the problem.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

If the neck had an upward bow tightening the truss rod would have been the diametrical wrong way to go too, which would only had worsened the problem.

Huh?

How would you propose pulling the neck straight, then?

Edited by NikNik

8 minutes ago, NikNik said:

See my second sentence.

10 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Huh?

How would you propose pulling the neck straight, then?

Loosen the truss rod sufficiently to let the string tension straighten the upward bow, as is what you are supposed to do.

Truss rod will bow upwards when tightened, fixing a downward bow, but making an upward bow even worse.

I think perhaps the confusion is down to you confusing upward bow with upward bending neck, which is not the same, when the neck bows upwards the neck will bend downwards on each side of the upward bow?

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Loosen the truss rod sufficiently to let the string tension straighten the upward bow, as is what you are supposed to do.

Truss rod will bow upwards when tightened, fixing a downward bow, but making an upward bow even worse.

The top image depicts up-bow. Up-bow is initially rectified by tightening the truss-rod, not g it. Loosening it would make the up-bow more pronounced, no?

crop-guitar-neck-diagram-1024x555.thumb.jpg.5d59f54b8daa3ba5971abc342ac3ac33.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NikNik said:

The top image depicts up-bow. Up-bow is initially rectified by tightening the truss-rod, not g it. Loosening it would make the up-bow more pronounced, no?

crop-guitar-neck-diagram-1024x555.thumb.jpg.5d59f54b8daa3ba5971abc342ac3ac33.jpg

Well, while the neck is bending upwards on the first picture the actual bow is bending downwards, making is a downward bow.

I might be wrong, but I think this description of this illustration is semantically wrong.

As far as I know bend and bow would not mean the exact same thing in this context.

Regardless if with good reason or not I obviously misunderstood what you meant.

Just to let you know I am honestly not nit picking or trying to be contrary here, I honestly misunderstood what you wrote.

And yes, going by the top drawing of that illustration tightening the truss rod would definitely be the right measure to take, regardless of how you word it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, while the neck is bending upwards on the first picture the actual bow is bending downwards, making is a downward bow.

I might be wrong, but I think this description of this illustration is semantically wrong.

As far as I know bend and bow would not mean the exact same thing in this context.

Regardless if with good reason or not I obviously misunderstood what you meant.

Just to let you know I am honestly not nit picking or trying to be contrary here, I honestly misunderstood what you wrote.

Yes, going by the first picture tightening the truss rod would be the right measure to take, regardless how you word it.

I see your interpretation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Kind of looks like it's broken the scarf joint, I'd say perfectly repairable, the fretboard would need to come off first etc etc.. I'd want to buy the thing very very cheap to start with if I was taking it on

Didn't notice that before, but taking a closer look at the pictures again I think you are probably right, the supposed "finish crack" does follow where the scarf joint of the neck would be glued on suspiciously closely.

I mean it is of course technically still a finish crack, just quite a bit more than just that, and would definitely not be the main issue here, but rather more of a symptom, if the scarf joint parting is really the actual culprit to it (which honestly seems very likely).

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Kind of looks like it's broken the scarf joint, I'd say perfectly repairable, the fretboard would need to come off first etc etc.. I'd want to buy the thing very very cheap to start with if I was taking it on

You reckon it's a scarf joint? They're meant to be set necks