Why become a member? ×

Weird finger cramp in gig - dystonia?

41Hz

Halfway through a song in the middle of the second set last night my index finger on my plucking hand completely curled up. It was a very strange feeling and though my brain was telling it to move it was completely frozen. I managed to finish the song using my middle/index fingers and then manually uncurled it with my other hand gave it a good shake. it then felt weird for the rest of the set like it was about to happen again.

Really worried it could be the start of focal dystonia that Scott Devine has. I’m hoping it was just a one off and a combination of being a bit out of practice, the drummer playing faster than usual and possibly me digging in a bit too hard caused it. 

Anyone else ever had this? Was it a one off or did it progress? I’ve another gig in 2 weeks and concerned it might do it again.

• Like 1

If you're seriously concerned, deffo the above. Get someone who knows hands to look at it.

Even before the current state of affairs and waiting lists, however, I rather doubt you'd be getting to see anyone that knowledgeable in the two weeks before your next gig, so for the time being plan on it being what we all hope, just a one-off or a bit unfit. Do exercises and warmups before playing (actually a good plan for us all, especially as years advance) and analyse just what's going on with your hands and arms while you are playing. Can't do any harm, and you might help yourself in the long term.

A mate of mine carries a hair dryer to actually warm his hands up pre-gig. Sounds unusual but works brilliantly for him.

I hope it simply doesn't reoccur!

• Like 2

I've had similar before in my fingers. It is quite disconcerting when it happens but it doesn't last long and is infrequent. I think it's more of a muscular/lactic acid/overuse thing rather than anything more sinister. I often get it if I go mad on a rowing machine too, due to gripping too tightly. It could well be down to dehydration too as that can do weird things to your body. 

As others have said though, if it continues get to checked out. Dr Google really don't your friend with this type of thing, as @Franticsmurf rightly points out. 

• Like 2

Echoing the comments above about seeking proper medical advice.

I occasionally get a similar thing in my middle finger and sometimes my 3rd one too.

Usually happens with me when I’ve not played regularly, so can’t do any harm to

exercise your hand as mentioned by others. I’ve had this on and off for a few years,

and sometimes wonder if it’s the onset of arthritis - don’t want to end up with

hands like Keith Richard’s! I keep a plectrum handy on gigs just in case it occurs -

I’m not good with one but it can get you through a song or two till it eases off.

Hope you get it sorted.

This happened to me three or four times when I was playing regularly.  This was when playing guitar and it happened to the middle finger of my fretting hand.  At this point you really do have to stop and uncurl the finger with your other hand in order to keep on playing.  

It never occurred to me to seek medical advice as I just thought it was muscle cramps.  Maybe I should have.

If it’s your plucking hand, I think a plectrum in your pocket for backup is a great idea.

I have had cramp in my fingers towards the end of a gig when playing a lot of finger style stuff. Like cramp in sport, there are things you can do to reduce chances of it happening. Being properly hydrated and avoiding salt / caffeine etc prior to gigs can really help. Your symptoms sound much more like cramp than focal dystonia to me. I am completely untrained to make this comment though and would definitely advise seeking proper medical advice if it becomes a frequent thing.

had this many times in the past, usually when playing something fast or constant notes towards the end of the gig. Footloose and Br Brightside were usually the biggest culprits.

The solution was to stop playing so hard and drink plenty of water. Avoiding caffeine and sugar also helps me

14 hours ago, 41Hz said:

Halfway through a song in the middle of the second set last night my index finger on my plucking hand completely curled up. It was a very strange feeling and though my brain was telling it to move it was completely frozen. I managed to finish the song using my middle/index fingers and then manually uncurled it with my other hand gave it a good shake. it then felt weird for the rest of the set like it was about to happen again.

Really worried it could be the start of focal dystonia that Scott Devine has. I’m hoping it was just a one off and a combination of being a bit out of practice, the drummer playing faster than usual and possibly me digging in a bit too hard caused it. 

Anyone else ever had this? Was it a one off or did it progress? I’ve another gig in 2 weeks and concerned it might do it again.

I used to get this quite regularly.You have to physically peel your fingers back to their normal position? I rarely got it when playing electric bass standing up but ALWAYS when sitting down with the acoustic bass.I put it down to my playing position with my right arm on the edge of the acoustic basses body,like it was affecting blood flow or something.Never got it checked out and nothing came of it,apart from being a nuisance.Mibbe I should check it out?

I’ve experienced this and still do on occasions. The most regular situation is when sat down in an armchair holding a newspaper, which seems to be because of the static, longish-term, mildly stressed position of the hands and repetitive action of page turning. Pressing the fingertips of both hands together strongly (after the unbending) at an angle seems to help! Hydration also definitely helps to prevent it.

No stranger to this occurrence here; gigging at least once a week for years now and this happens quite a few times a year. No other serious connected problems thus far, touch wood. As this only occurs during gigs, usually a good while into playing, I've been going with dehydration as the prime suspect. Over here (Japan) some "Sports drinks" have a bit of salt content ~ maybe an old wives' tale but I've found that these drinks are fairly effective. 

As far as advice re next gig goes, plenty of water etc beforehand as well as during the show. Clearly, if it happens again over the next three or four shows it'd be sensible to see a medical professional but for the time being ~ forgive the possible pun ~ don't sweat it. 

Best of luck Sir 🤞🏻

On 04/06/2023 at 11:39, 41Hz said:

Thanks for the comments.

I’d certainly get some medical advice if it started happening frequently, just hoping it was a one off and wondered if anyone had experienced similar.

When I was 18/19 in College, Spent all day practising and then come to the actually live song and my finger gave way on my right hand.  No Plecs in sight so had to use the remaining three fingers to finish the track off. 1st performance in front of people after week one of doing BsA Music. :D 

I believe on reflection it was simply fatigue, dehydration and simply over doing it to cause cramp and the ligament locked up. Never had it since. 

I had something similar recently. Middle and index finger seemed to stick together with the middle slightly over the index. This happened in the middle of a song.  I couldn’t get them apart immediately and had to play the next couple of numbers with them stuck until the break. 
I got concerned I was having a stroke or worse. I managed to get them apart during the break and it hasn’t happened since. No pain though.