Why become a member? ×

The name of Your bass

nilorius

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, tell that to Stanley Clarke... ;)

He's even taller, and got giant hands as well, beside of course being an absolute master and legend bass player, yet has 30" short scale electric bass as his main instrument of choice, though might I add a really proficient upright bass player as well.

Personally my preferred instrument of choice is a just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, and I am 6"4'.

And how about all those tall fellows playing 24.75" Gibson scale guitars?

Then of course you also have rather short people with small hands preferring to play full scale 34" bass, some even extended scale 6 string bass.

Anthony Jackson for instance isn't a particular tall guy and actually have kind of small hands, yet he's an absolute master on his 36" 6 string bass with full 19mm string spacing.

Showing that choice of scale length really has little to do with one's physical size but rather a question of personal preferences and choice. 

Well I think I look stupid with anything but a full sized bass, so that's enough for me 👍

33 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Naming instruments? C'mon man Grow up! They are just pieces of wood with strings. In fact I was talking to my bass Gladys about how ridiculous it all is just the other day when I was putting her to bed.

Washburn Gig Bag - Copy.jpg

Comon - this looks like velociraptor !!!

My wife named mine. Generally based on the LED colour. 

- Status CW red LEDS - Scarlett 

- status CW blue LEDs - Tally

- Status s2 green LEDs - Esmeralda 

- Dingwall ng2 - Smeg. Because she says it’s the same colour as a fridge. She is not a fan if not obvious. 

I’ve got my custom jazzray too, “The purple beastie”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

EXCALIBUR

12+excalibur.jpg

Did you draw it from a stone too? ;)

Also the naming is quite a contrast to my "Dud Bottomfeeder", though I did use to run it with an always on 1 octave up effect on for the longest time, which now however I exclusively have switched on when using my high gain distortion.

But would like to own the short scale 8 string Hagström H8-II bass at some point.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 03/06/2023 at 13:51, Rich said:

I recall reading somewhere that 6'3" Mike Rutherford's main driving factor behind developing a full-bodied Steinberger bass was one of his then-young children telling him that he looked really stupid playing a cricket bat Steiny.

My guitarist hates my steinie XP becaue of that.

It does look ridiculous on me at 6'6"

• Haha 1

I'm 6"4' and my main instrument of choice is a just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass.

Stanley Clarke is even taler, and also he got huge hands, yet his main is a 30" scale short scale.

Then again you have just as tall/big guys playing Gibson 24.75" scale guitars as well without anyone ever questioning it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

7 minutes ago, lidl e said:

He's my bud!

And he isnt entirely wrong!

ely(1).gif.c7824bd4c161f1051cc98ad10b93fce2.gif

Anyway, first is sound and feel, then - visual. There is a lot of freaky style instruments around the world, that sound great !

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1