Why become a member? ×

Blues playlist for beginners

Bigwan

[quote name='Faithless' post='476444' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:23 PM']My drummer recommended me to listen to some USA blues bassists, in case it would help in forming my sound in my rock-band..

So...

I already know Joe Bonamassa's (the one, already mentioned here) ex-bassplayer, but I wanted to ask you chaps, if you could recommend any more artists (maybe already mentioned here, in this thread..) with serious bassplayers - those with [i]good [/i]sound and interesting playing..

I'm mainly looking for, let's say, a bit more techy/choppy blues bassists, playing modern blues (mixed with other genres..), not the traditional bluesy-stuff..[/quote]

Check out Greg Rzab - on early 90's Buddy Guy stuff, Damn Right I've Got the Blues album

Also if you can get a copy - Paul Rodgers A Tribute to Muddy Waters, one Pino Palladino if I remember correctly

Cheers
Fraser

Couple of Slide players for you to check out - Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth.

John Mayall's best album for me doesn't go back to the Clapton/Green days but only as far as the 90s - A Sense of Place. Highly recommended. In fact it's where I first heard Sonny Landreth , though on acoustic slide on this album rather than electric.

Paul Rogers 'Muddy Waters Blues' album is fun - all those superstar guitar guests - and bass playing from Pino.

Bit of Canned Heat, Janis Joplin too, love all that stuff!

As for John Mayall, Parchman Farm on 'With Eric Clapton' is one of my favourite blues tracks, I think it's a very overlooked period of British music, some great reworkings of old blues tunes and some brilliant originals.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEgOdL5phd4&feature=related"]Parchman Farm[/url]

And as for Rory Gallagher, I mentioned Taste on the last page, and this is one of my favourtie performances of his:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZNuTeq9hs"]Gambling Blues[/url]

If the really old blues guys are offputting to you then you could try Clapton's take on old blues classics on his 'From The Cradle' album. For some younger blues artists check out Aynsley Lister and even more recently a young lady called Joanne Shaw Taylor - her 'White Sugar' album definitley worth a listen.

Edited by KevB

Also check out Louisiana Red, Lowell Fulsom, Sonny Boy Williamson-and don't forget Seasick Steve! Often overlooked as a more mainstream artist is Chris Rea, who's produced some cracking blues stuff. Another superb blues album is Aerosmith's 'Honking on Bobo'. America is crawling with superb, little-known blues acts-if you can get internet radio, there are several blues stations. My particular favourite are Omar and the Howlers, from Austin, Texas, but there are loads.
Get out and see the blues live! To me it's the best way to hear the blues, and there are some fantastic home-grown acts out there touring-guys like Honey Boy Hickling, Larry Miller (we're supporting him on the 30th!), Paul Lamb and the Kingsnakes and of course the likes of the already-mentioned Dr.Feelgood, Wilko Johnson (with the man himself, Norman Watt-Roy, on bass!) and Nine Below Zero. There's loads of it.

I would class Larry Miller as a rock band these days, but for live British blues playing down south, check out John O'Leary (founder member of Savoy Brown), Sonny Black, The Barcodes, anything Alan Glenn is doing, Robin Bibi, Dan Smith, The Blues Engineers, Nigel Bagg, Giles Headley, The Mighty 45's and Sam Kelly etc.
Not quite blues, but nearly, check out Tim Hain, Funkydory and Paul Cox.
I'm trying to get the Radical Sheiks to reform, but it's taking longer than I expected!!

Even better Ian,

Try the Empire Bar every Thursday (Belfast) Rab McCullough Band. They won "Best Band" at some blues festival in the US a few years ago. The real deal.

Warrenpoint Blues Festival.

Big River Blues and Jazz festival in Belfast every August. Was in St Georges Market last year. fantastic. I'll be there again this year.

First Tuesday every month in Bangor. Blues jam. Google The Pontiacs for details. There's a decent website. It's an open jam too if you fancy it.

And don't forget Roy Fulton (Who Dave from Newtownards/Carradore plays bass for)

There's loads of live blues right here in norn irun. I think most people would agree that blues is best appreciated live.

Frank.

Some very good suggestions and comments, I'll add a few...

[b]Contemporary US dirty electric country blues not rock no soul no funk:[/b]
RL Burnside
T-Model Ford
Frank Frost

[b]Contemporary UK retro-ish not rock:[/b]
Errol Linton
Little George Sueref
King David Trio

[b]Classic US guitarists:[/b]
Hound Dog Taylor
Lightning Hopkins
Earl Hooker

[b]Classic US Pianists:[/b]
Amos Milburn
Professor Longhair
Dave Bartholomew

[b]Random bunch of classic bluesmen I don't remember anyone mentioning[/b] (but I could be wrong):
Little Walter
Sonny Boy Williamson [i](I'm thinking aka Rice Miller, before you ask)[/i]
Big Bill Broonzy?

And of course [url="http://www.redjackson.com"]Red Jackson[/url] :)

The funkiest, bluesiest, Little Feat (classic lineup with Lowell George) on the live "Waiting For Columbus" cd featuring Kenny Gradney on bass.

Edited by 2pods

Also an interesting new fellow from the US is Kenny Wayne Shepard, though he is more in the SRV style. Then again, I'd hazard a guess that when random person says they're going to play the blues it's a Hendrix or SRV number they are thinking of.

From my blues playing stint I'd double the recommendation for Albert King (which is who SRV got his style from) for an accessible entry for a person who isn't that well acquainted with the blues. One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is the fact that you can't just play a song as a blues - there are clear differences between texas (both pre- and post SRV) blues and jump blues for example! Of course, this makes no difference to the random punter, but as musos we should strive for higher standards, no?

This may sound like purism, but I don't think Cream and Led Zep are the right places to go to learn the blues - those dudes paid their dues and knew their blues well and then went on to totally new stuff, but I don't think you can learn the genre from derivative sources. Then again, the question inexonerably arises: what is your goal? To learn a new genre or to play a gig?

btw, if someone can recall the song where the guitarist/singer does this thing where he names different blues guitarists and then plays a lick in his style, a Bluzeman point is awarded immediately. It's an excellent intro into the vast differences between different sorts of blues, to boot. (as the band changes styles as well)

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='482656' date='May 8 2009, 06:59 AM']btw, if someone can recall the song where the guitarist/singer does this thing where he names different blues guitarists and then plays a lick in his style, a Bluzeman point is awarded immediately. It's an excellent intro into the vast differences between different sorts of blues, to boot. (as the band changes styles as well)[/quote]

well, i've seen buddy guy do that live, don't know about on record...

[quote name='grumble' post='481548' date='May 7 2009, 12:17 AM']Pah ! all this talk of the Blues, the real question is

Can Blue Men Sing The Whites ?

(Grumble grabs zimmer and hobbles out of the room before the younger members wonder WTF he means) :)[/quote]

All I know is that I gotta mess my hair up, gotta make some noise...