Why become a member? ×

My new hand made Bilodeau bass(exotica)

mikhay77

Well it arrived this morning from Mr Bilodeau,Canada this morning and I cant put it down,lots of exotic woods and an action that would put a gnat at a limbo competition down,sounds a cross between a MM and warwick thumb growl and hi fi its just unbelievable check his website,and its the only one in the world

Edited by mikhay77

Thanks guys,I agree about the carl thompson connection great story on his website,the active is simply monsterous,27 frets which are playable 32" scale the body is is really thin and so is the neck width 1 3/4" at the nut and 2 1/4 at the (not so) dusty end,but really deep almost feels round a true joy my day to day bass has been a thumb for 15 years but this is well a different levelHe's done a ct style 6 string rainbow bass too,

[quote name='lozbass' post='477026' date='May 1 2009, 02:07 PM']Just one thing - and I'm sure it's an optical illusion - is the bridge on straight?[/quote]

I know what you mean, you can see the strings bending to the left slightly at the bridge!?

Beautiful other than that, I'd be scared to gig it lol, but brilliant craftsmanship! I love the Thompson-esque red-wood binding

Si

Your right about the bridge its a gnats chuff out but other than that it plays superb,both e and g bend in due to the narrow neck but the g slightly more I did have a choice of pick up covers (which are wood),one being the same colour as the neck but went for this one which uses the same colour woods as the neck binding,got two gigs this weekend so will give it a shake down and see how it plays live,cheers for the comments though

Edited by mikhay77

Completed the gigs,two totally different bands and music styles,this bass has more punch than Manny Pacquiao,it has these incredible lows and highs with the mids not intrusive,super light perfectly balanced and plays like a dream.I play through trace 4x10 and 2x10 with horn or 4x10 and 1x15 and old plastic boxed 350watt trace head with pre amp valve,I couldnt be happier.The comments I have received from just two gigs were fantastic and made me feel very proud.I have had lots of basses but this really is the one.Will still use the thumb and the sb though.If anyone is after a high end or hand made bass email Bill,he is such a great guy and a pleasure to deal with,nothing is too much trouble,say Mike recommended you.

• 1 year later...