Why become a member? ×

How does this scam work?

Earbrass

Posted an item on facebook as for collection only. Got a reply in poor English:

"Ok I take but I would like to come tomorrow but I am currently busy with work, I will send a UPS postman to your home to give you your money in cash and collect the item."

I don't think UPS offer that service, do they? Sounds well dodgy to me, but if I were to get cash, how would the scam work?

They'll say they'll send the money, but "UPS" will need an 'insurance fee' to cover the delivery, which they say will be refunded in the money they send to you as reimbursement. 

They'll send a link to you, and either you pay a sum of money over, or they get your details via a malicious link and/or malware, or all three. You're then out the 'insurance fee' and of course nothing ever arrives. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think that Ped needs to get a disclaimer on this as soon as...

Of course you'd simply meet them and say v. nicely..

"hello, nice to meet you, this is my lump of wood, his name is John, he likes to meet new people, me and John and my two mates are going for a kebab, fancy coming? “

Quite innocent and no violence ever occurred or implied.... innit

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Or give them the address of a dodgy block of flats, and meet them on the stairwell with a couple of mates, and a lump of wood.... ;)

Used a similar tactic some years back with a scammer looking to "buy" a classic Rolex...no lump of wood required though.

The moment there's even a slight deviation from "I will send you the funds by recognised method and either collect the gear or ask you to arrange a courier" I'm out, I've simply had too many bad experiences now. I won't even take cash anymore unless it's from a buyer I know/trust :( 

• Like 2

Facebook has become a flippin hell hole, especially if your trying to sell small high value items. I currently have some camera stuff for sale and as soon as it was listed I started getting similiar...."plse send me your bank details, I'll give it to the courier and then we'll pay you"...What? Nope. Get lost.

On 24/04/2023 at 15:54, Earbrass said:

Posted an item on facebook as for collection only. Got a reply in poor English:

"Ok I take but I would like to come tomorrow but I am currently busy with work, I will send a UPS postman to your home to give you your money in cash and collect the item."

I don't think UPS offer that service, do they? Sounds well dodgy to me, but if I were to get cash, how would the scam work?

I had the exact same message a couple of weeks ago. I told them I'd be delighted to help as, luckily enough, I'm actually the head of the local UPS department (I'm not).

Managed to string them on for a bit and waste as much of their time as possible. 

oWArFHP2HN7W.gif

• Like 2