Why become a member? ×

Which wireless?

M@23

23 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

The way I now look at it is you pay a good price for amps, basses, pedals then cut costs buying a less quality wireless. 

Im confident it’s worth it ! 

Does the Shure work completely on batteries or does the receiver unit have to have a PSU?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Does the Shure work completely on batteries or does the receiver unit have to have a PSU?

The receiver is powered by my pedalboard power supply but it comes With a 12v PSU with a weirdly long but high quality cable 

• Thanks 1

The GLXD16+ receiver can run off a 9v 400mA power source such as your pedalboard supply or the provided power supply 

The transmitter has a 11hr ? capacity rechargeable battery ( which you can buy spares for ) 

The Transmitter comes with a charger ( USB ) or if out at a gig you can charge via the Receiver with a USB lead using the pedalboard supply ON for the receiver 

Its been well thought out 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

So wireless users … do any of you here use your transmitter pouch fitted to your trouser belt ? 

I had the Levy MM4 arrive today and like a holster it fits nicely on your trouser belt and sits away from your body nicely. 

This feels better than the lump on the back of your strap method but I can see advantages of either method 

First gig with the Shure GLXD16+ and it worked perfectly. 

Soundcheck out front .. perfect

Limited space at venue to move much but no leads to stand on or singer to trip over !! 

Sound quality spot on 

Did a channel scan at setup and it chose 1D 

Do you guys channel scan each gig ? IMG_4568.thumb.png.1eb86234fad180121d7bee7e1decea67.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

So wireless users … do any of you here use your transmitter pouch fitted to your trouser belt ? I

when I had the smooth hound it attached to the strap in a bit now I just use the dongle so it hangs in the bass. My wireless iems though attach to either my belt if I have one or my pocket

3 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Did a channel scan at setup and it chose 1D 

Do you guys channel scan each gig ?

I always channel scan at every gig, all venues are different so definitely good practice to do it 

Edited by Adee

3 hours ago, maidens97 said:

A clip from last nights show in cleethorpes with a function band I work with, had a wander into the crowd with the wireless!I tested it earlier on in soundcheck and the range is more than you’d ever need!

IMG_7267.MOV

Damn you're not making it easy for the rest of us trying not to fork out £500+ on one of these are you?!

Out of interest what mixing desk is your band using?

On 15/05/2023 at 16:46, redbandit599 said:

I had the Shure GLXD - it was a lovely well made unit. It was fine on the occasional 'big stage' that I used it on, but would cut out in busy pubs. I did wonder if it was our own wifi and other wirelesses that caused it, or even my wireless dmx controls for the lights. But I could go to a good 20 metres away during sound check in some pubs with no issue (with all the above on) and it was great, as soon as the pub filled I'd frequently get issues.

I've had a Shure GLXD system for many years and must done a couple of hundred plus gigs with it. These have included big stages, theatres, outdoor gigs, a covered outdoor market (last night) and many busy pubs as well as a few that were not that busy.

I've never had a single issue with it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Damn you're not making it easy for the rest of us trying not to fork out £500+ on one of these are you?!

Really? Is there any wireless you have had that you couldn't do that with?

Seems strange, I am happy to go to the other end of whatever venue I am with with my cheap dongle - obviously I don't play grand places but 3 times that distance. never had it drop out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Really? Is there any wireless you have had that you couldn't do that with?

Seems strange, I am happy to go to the other end of whatever venue I am with with my cheap dongle - obviously I don't play grand places but 3 times that distance. never had it drop out.

Tbf my Smoothhound never had any issues with doing that. But I guess my views are being very coloured by the regular drop-outs for anything beyond close range I'm currently getting from my Boss WL-20, which certainly wouldn't have the range now to let me walk tables in venues such as Boxpark (maybe a good thing!). But perhaps just wear & tear and the unit degrading as it's probably around 3 years old now and has had regular use?

On 28/07/2023 at 10:07, Lozz196 said:

The Shure GLXD works on a PSU for the receiver and you have to charge the transmitter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest what mixing desk is your band using?

Worth every penny! We played 2 x 45 minute sets plus about another 10-15 minute encore and the battery indicator only when down by 1 LED from full. I won't have to charge it for another few gigs! The desk we use is a behringer euro power PMP4000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, maidens97 said:

Worth every penny! We played 2 x 45 minute sets plus about another 10-15 minute encore and the battery indicator only when down by 1 LED from full. I won't have to charge it for another few gigs! The desk we use is a behringer euro power PMP4000.

So here's the thing about "every penny" 😄, and I totally get this is most likely just my weird way of looking at the world: we've invested in a similar quality desk (albeit ours doesn't churn out 1,600W, we've left that to the powered speakers!) and it costs a similar amount i.e. around the £400 mark.

Given just how important a desk (and PA) is to band's sound, it just feels the wrong priority to be spending £500 on a wireless just for the bass, when you and I have both spent less on our mixing desk?

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way and I'm sure there will be plenty of views in the opposite direction.

But I think I'll likely be seeing how this lot fare first:

image.png.c4451a2fad20bb4f23a8365ef87ee642.png

which I've recently managed to pick up used for < £100. If they crash and burn, too, I may well be following you down the Shure GLXD16+ path!

Or.......maybe just getting myself a looong lead for £30 instead 😁

• Like 2

There seems to be a big gap in the market for reasonably priced 5.8ghz wireless units.

they are either >£500 like the Shure or under £100 like the Lekato and similar.

I have a boss WL 20 which is great, but I want to try using it to power a Behringer P2 as we are moving to IEMs. This means that I need another wireless for my bass, but am concerned if I buy another 2.4ghz unit there will be problems with drop outs and clashed with other units in the band.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

So here's the thing about "every penny" 😄, and I totally get this is most likely just my weird way of looking at the world: we've invested in a similar quality desk (albeit ours doesn't churn out 1,600W, we've left that to the powered speakers!) and it costs a similar amount i.e. around the £400 mark.

Given just how important a desk (and PA) is to band's sound, it just feels the wrong priority to be spending £500 on a wireless just for the bass, when you and I have both spent less on our mixing desk?

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way and I'm sure there will be plenty of views in the opposite direction.

But I think I'll likely be seeing how this lot fare first:

image.png.c4451a2fad20bb4f23a8365ef87ee642.png

which I've recently managed to pick up used for < £100. If they crash and burn, too, I may well be following you down the Shure GLXD16+ path!

Or.......maybe just getting myself a looong lead for £30 instead 😁

I understand that yeah, I must say that the band I play for had all this PA equipment already as I have only recently joined them as I’m mainly a session player currently. I would agree that a PA is more important than a wireless unit! The cheaper units are absolutely fine and work well I think, I just feel a bit more confident and safe with the Shure unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

But I guess my views are being very coloured by the regular drop-outs for anything beyond close range I'm currently getting from my Boss WL-20, which certainly wouldn't have the range now to let me walk tables in venues such as Boxpark (maybe a good thing!). But perhaps just wear & tear and the unit degrading as it's probably around 3 years old now and has had regular use?

Certainly something I couldn't live with. I 100% trust mine to not cut out ever, if they did, I would stop using them. i have never had a cutout, and remember, I am talking very budget (these are my £50 5.8GHz dongles).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

There seems to be a big gap in the market for reasonably priced 5.8ghz wireless units.

they are either >£500 like the Shure or under £100 like the Lekato and similar.

I have a boss WL 20 which is great, but I want to try using it to power a Behringer P2 as we are moving to IEMs. This means that I need another wireless for my bass, but am concerned if I buy another 2.4ghz unit there will be problems with drop outs and clashed with other units in the band.

The Harley Benton seems OK . I have had one for about 6 months https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_airborne_pro_5.8ghz_instrument.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markbunney said:

I use this as back up. Seems to fit the bill at £100 ………but have never had to test it out except in rehearsals.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-Digital-Wireless-Guitar-Pedal-System/36K1?_gl=1*1jkmxiu*_ga*MTk0MDk0NTI3MS4xNjkwNzQwNjM5*_up*MQ..*_ga_0WF1R5QW3K*MTY5MDc0MDYzOC4xLjEuMTY5MDc0MDg2My4wLjAuMA..

Not affiliated with seller!

• Like 1